Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Changed CDR-24 Radio with upgraded factory sound with PIONEER NAV unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:50 PM
jbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nice
Changed CDR-24 Radio with upgraded factory sound with PIONEER NAV unit

Well I know this is not for most of you purists here, but just giving help to people who want the option to change their stock system in their GT3/RS (Could be useful for the 997.2 crowd, but more for the 997.1 crowd)

Just need some type of white noise on long trips other than the music from the flat six.

Anyways, like mentioned on the title, I have a cdr-24 with upgraded sound package. i hate loading cd's and just wanted to use my iPod.

Well I chose the PIONEER avic-x920bt which plays ipod (microSD, cd, dvd), bluetooth, pandora, and has Navi. More than I can ask for for an ipod player.

But anyways.......the DOUBLE DIN installation kit was from EURO MOTORSPEED (www.euromotorspeed.com)

They have kits for just the CDR-24/CDR-30
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PORSCHE-997-...#ht_2048wt_907

or the BOSE with fiber optic
http://cgi.ebay.com/PORSCHE-997-CARR...#ht_2332wt_907

My radio guy is Bo from Audiomobile from Oakland, CA. Got the PIONEER head unit from his shop and he took his time and did the install in a day. He made everything look as stock as possible.

He installed the bluetooth mic in between the plastic of the map lights and the rear view mirror. He took out the middle speaker on the dash and ran the GPS there for navigation.

Here is a quick vid of the finished product.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 PM
SoCal911 is infamous around these parts
Now that is really trick !

thanks for sharing.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 PM
afridi is infamous around these parts
I know I wouldnt go that route, but it looks well done.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM
jbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nice
I went this route because it's my daily driver. I dont really care about nav, just wanted a head unit where I can play my iPod with ease. The 2010/11 model has iPod interface. The 2007/8 did not. I think this was the best route to go.

I shaved enough pounds on the car with the seats.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
I have a short attention span and couldn't sit through the video.
What kind of speakers/amps are you running?

Old 01-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Just running the OEM upgraded amp and speakers.

Car came with cdr-24 wig upgraded sound.

If I ever think about changing speakers or amp, It would be an ARC audio mini amp and FOCAL 3 way components for the fronts only. Focal is making replacement drop in speakers for Porsche.

Forget the rear speakers and the middle front. You just want front stage anyways.

I just needed the music for white noise on long trips.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jbigelow_1
Just running the OEM upgraded amp and speakers.

Car came with cdr-24 wig upgraded sound.

If I ever think about changing speakers or amp, It would be an ARC audio mini amp and FOCAL 3 way components for the fronts only. Focal is making replacement drop in speakers for Porsche.

Forget the rear speakers and the middle front. You just want front stage anyways.

I just needed the music for white noise on long trips.
Were you able to wire up to the factory amp or is the head unit pushing the speakers?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by medici78
Were you able to wire up to the factory amp or is the head unit pushing the speakers?
Factory amp is pushing the factory speakers.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:27 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Nice, I almost went this route but finally settled with a Dice Ipod kit for the CDR24. Yours is a better solution because it adds Navigation and Bluetooth capability.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Nice, I almost went this route but finally settled with a Dice Ipod kit for the CDR24. Yours is a better solution because it adds Navigation and Bluetooth capability.
I was going to go your route with an Ipod kit, but this route was way more beneficial.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM
smboyer is infamous around these parts
thanks for info. I was planning exact same in exact same car. Glad to know it works well. Any comment on improvement in sound quality? How does blutooth mic work over roar of GT3? And finally how to you get porsche logo on startup screen

Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by smboyer
thanks for info. I was planning exact same in exact same car. Glad to know it works well. Any comment on improvement in sound quality? How does blutooth mic work over roar of GT3? And finally how to you get porsche logo on startup screen
Sound quality a little better, but played with EQ setting. If you want better sound, wait till FOCAL has some drop in 3 way components that are coming out soon for stock system and a higher line which you can use with aftermarket amp.....if you want to replace amp for better sound use the ARC AUDIO line. They have a compact, lightweight line of amps.

Bluetooth mic not bad over roar, but I am not used to using any bluetooth anyways. And i am planning to go aftermarket exhaust/bypass so it might be useless.

Remember, like I said...just wanted a little white noise while driving on long trips, not musical fidelity!!!!

The pioneer head unit has a micro SD slot, where I added a pictures folder and added the porsche logo I found on the internet.
----------------------------------------------------------

I bought this PIONEER AVIC-X920BT head unit because of great reviews and I got it on sale.

New AVIC-X930BT soming out in March I think.
----------------------------------------------------------

GT3 meant to be a drivers car (light & nimble) and more weight should be avoided as possible.

This head unit swap didn't add much weight at all (if any).

Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 AM
EastBay997 is infamous around these parts
Can you list any unintended effects of the swap, i.e. are there PCM or other features that are lost?

Cross posted in 997 forum - sorry.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by EastBay997
Can you list any unintended effects of the swap, i.e. are there PCM or other features that are lost?

Cross posted in 997 forum - sorry.
I never had a PCM nav model in my car. What PCM features were you talking about?

I am guessing that if you have any PCM features that were with your PCM nav unit, they would be all lost......

but the PIONEER nav unit i have has bluetooth for phone, navi, and ipod integration and pandora if u use that.

Hope I answered your question.

Last edited by jbigelow_1; 02-02-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 PM
EastBay997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jbigelow_1
Hope I answered your question.
Yes, thanks.

After I get to 15 posts, maybe I can PM to ask the all-in price you paid.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changed CDR-24 Radio with upgraded factory sound with PIONEER NAV unit