Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT 3, RS, or Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Karl B is infamous around these parts
GT 3, RS, or Turbo

I am looking for some feedback. I have a 06 C2S that I love, but instead of doing the mod, mod, mod then sell to buy something else route, I want to just cut to the chase and move up.
I have a lot of SCCA race experience, but most likely will not use the car on the track except for 2-3 DE per year.
It is a fun car only, not a daily driver, and suspension compliance is not an issue for me. I would like A/C and some other creature comforts though.
Budget wise I am looking at used, hopefully with CPO. I have driven a friends 07 Turbo that has some mods, feels very attached to the road, somewhat heavy compared to my C2S, but the acceleration is very addictive. The other choices GT3 or GT3 RS I have not driven. I am leaning toward the GT3 because I think I like the light feel and instant power of the NA motor.

Has anyone had both, what are your experiences and what should I look at. I understand posting in the GT thread I am going to get allot of comments for a GT. I kind of want this next car to hold me over for a long time so I want to make the right choice.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 PM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
I've had several of all 3. I always lean to the GT cars. The sound, the handling, the track ability. NA motors outweigh the kaboom of a turbo for the street alone. You will never look back. I promise.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
Had both and prefer the GT's.

The feel and sound are more satisfying.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Its been beaten to death. NA > Turbo IMO.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Easy answer

I have had all three, your current car, a 2009 Turbo and the gt3rs. For me, the 911 S makes a great daily driver. The Turbo is definitely the most powerful and off the line due to the AWD; but after a month i was very BORED with it. Here is why:turbos spool at 4100 rpm, which is where the fun starts, but you have to pay close attention as the rpm picks up super fast to shift at 6400 redline. Even with a tubi exhaust you dont get a lot of cue from the motor that its time to shift. More importantly, the shifting interval is only 2300 rpm if you want to stay in the power. Lots of quick shifts. Dont get me wrong the acceleration is top shelf, but the fun factor in operating the drive train is somewhat less fun.

However for the gt series cars, the experience starts up round 4200 rpm with the thrill of the normally aspirated motor pulling hard all the way to 8400 rpm while screaming at the top of its lungs.

The turbo suspension and handling is great, but pales in comparison at speed to what the GT3s offer. The Turbo gearbox is soft and refined, while the RS is tight and raw. Its like a freshly broken young thoroughbred race horse. Tame ,but still wild.

The best analogy would be one is a car designed to take your wife to dinner in luxury and style while being fast enough to blow most any car away off the line at a stoplight on the way to dinner if you were so inclined. The GT3 is a car you dont want your wife in with you because the experience is meant to be singular between you the road and th car. Not to be driven in town, but on a back country road or the race track. Not to be interrupted by the noise of the radio or a passenger.

Both are fantastic cars, and nothing wrong with owning either, as both are so competnent in what they do, you just have to pick the one that suits your purpose. For me the turbo connects with my brain in its beauty and outright efficiency. The Gt3 cars, and the RS especially, connects with my heart. I want to be buried in my RS when i die.

QUOTE=Karl B;3297286]I am looking for some feedback. I have a 06 C2S that I love, but instead of doing the mod, mod, mod then sell to buy something else route, I want to just cut to the chase and move up.
I have a lot of SCCA race experience, but most likely will not use the car on the track except for 2-3 DE per year.
It is a fun car only, not a daily driver, and suspension compliance is not an issue for me. I would like A/C and some other creature comforts though.
Budget wise I am looking at used, hopefully with CPO. I have driven a friends 07 Turbo that has some mods, feels very attached to the road, somewhat heavy compared to my C2S, but the acceleration is very addictive. The other choices GT3 or GT3 RS I have not driven. I am leaning toward the GT3 because I think I like the light feel and instant power of the NA motor.

Has anyone had both, what are your experiences and what should I look at. I understand posting in the GT thread I am going to get allot of comments for a GT. I kind of want this next car to hold me over for a long time so I want to make the right choice.[/QUOTE]

Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Get yourself on the Seaford-Oyster Bay (135) north and go see Lenny at Exotic Classics (Syosset). I've been there a few times this week and they have both used GT-3 and also Turbo and you can see/drive them. 516-762-4200 x 380 or 516-428-1435 and tell him Dr. Jim sent you.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Karl B
I am looking for some feedback. I have a 06 C2S that I love, but instead of doing the mod, mod, mod then sell to buy something else route, I want to just cut to the chase and move up.

Has anyone had both, what are your experiences and what should I look at. I understand posting in the GT thread I am going to get allot of comments for a GT. I kind of want this next car to hold me over for a long time so I want to make the right choice.
realistically right now considering 2-3 events per whole year best car will be a GTS right after 991 car wil come out. Fresh 2010/2011 GTS with Sport chrono and SPASM that already dropped $30K+ in price will be very close to 991 car in all regards with great motor and suspension.

Any GT3 car makes sense if you do 2-3 events per month. If you use car only for track and move it on a trailer - GT3 RS is due.

I saw several GTS cars on a track by now - they are wonderful. All you need in them to 'enhance' is to put rear toe arms and gt3 LCAs and keep rest of stock SPASM intact - it is very good. Just make sure it is SPASM, not a regular PASM.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:28 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TurboDogue
I have had all three, your current car, a 2009 Turbo and the gt3rs. For me, the 911 S makes a great daily driver. The Turbo is definitely the most powerful and off the line due to the AWD; but after a month i was very BORED with it. Here is why:turbos spool at 4100 rpm, which is where the fun starts, but you have to pay close attention as the rpm picks up super fast to shift at 6400 redline. Even with a tubi exhaust you dont get a lot of cue from the motor that its time to shift. More importantly, the shifting interval is only 2300 rpm if you want to stay in the power. Lots of quick shifts. Dont get me wrong the acceleration is top shelf, but the fun factor in operating the drive train is somewhat less fun.

However for the gt series cars, the experience starts up round 4200 rpm with the thrill of the normally aspirated motor pulling hard all the way to 8400 rpm while screaming at the top of its lungs.

The turbo suspension and handling is great, but pales in comparison at speed to what the GT3s offer. The Turbo gearbox is soft and refined, while the RS is tight and raw. Its like a freshly broken young thoroughbred race horse. Tame ,but still wild.

The best analogy would be one is a car designed to take your wife to dinner in luxury and style while being fast enough to blow most any car away off the line at a stoplight on the way to dinner if you were so inclined. The GT3 is a car you dont want your wife in with you because the experience is meant to be singular between you the road and th car. Not to be driven in town, but on a back country road or the race track. Not to be interrupted by the noise of the radio or a passenger.

Both are fantastic cars, and nothing wrong with owning either, as both are so competnent in what they do, you just have to pick the one that suits your purpose. For me the turbo connects with my brain in its beauty and outright efficiency. The Gt3 cars, and the RS especially, connects with my heart. I want to be buried in my RS when i die.
You sir have the right answer

Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Karl B is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the input, the GTS is a step up but not enough. I think you have all stated what I have been thinking all along.

I have been to the exotic classics showroom, very nice people and facilities. Would make it easy for me since they are local. I thought I may be better at a Porsche dealer since I could get it CPO.

They had a well equipped used GT3 there now, but i am not sure about the yellow. Had all the options I wanted but seems to be sold now.
http://www.exoticclassics.com/detail...d-7517904.html

The black one is nice, but does not have nav or the carbon brakes. Since I am in no rush I think it may be best to wait for exactly what I want.
http://www.exoticclassics.com/detail...d-7538697.html

Old 08-27-2011, 12:11 PM
rdf16 is infamous around these partsrdf16 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Red Devil
Get yourself on the Seaford-Oyster Bay (135) north and go see Lenny at Exotic Classics (Syosset). I've been there a few times this week and they have both used GT-3 and also Turbo and you can see/drive them. 516-762-4200 x 380 or 516-428-1435 and tell him Dr. Jim sent you.

Ah, one less GT3 there now.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:14 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Had a 6GT3 for almost 4 yrs, then traded it for a 360 Challenge Stradale, didn't like the CS because of the F1 gearbox as I missed the rifle bolt like shifter and brakes on the 3, then went to a 997.1 Turbo which got boring real fast, even after adding a tune and exhaust, lowering springs, sportier alignment, etc. Turbo is now gone after only two years. Still have fond memories of the 3 so I'd say GT cars all the way. A little OT but wish Porsche would make rear seats optional on the new 991 GT3 as I'd like to have the option to take the family along once in a while. And as just weekend warriors, I wouldn't care if the additional weight of the rear seats would rob me of half a second per lap.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:52 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
GTSRS > GT3 > Turbo

Just saying. I've had both ends of that spectrum. No comparison.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
Had all of them as well. RS is by far the most fun,drive it to track and home with no issues. Do not find it uncomfortable on the street, sounds amazing when wailing and the smooth delivery of the N/A motor is great. Love the ceramics also.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 PM
choonher is infamous around these partschoonher is infamous around these parts
Just buy all three!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Truble10 is infamous around these parts

This is a great summary. I've always wanted a GT3 RS but for driving around town it is hard to beat the turbo. If my funds were unlimited I would have both...I have the turbo. Not a better car just different. I do drool every time I see an RS though

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT 3, RS, or Turbo