Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 gets no PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Who cares how stupid it is, the fact is that if Porsche could have done it to their satisfaction they would have. If not please explain why they did not and have not since they had a great motor and PDK ready since before the launch of the 997.1 Turbo. You can argue the semantics all day but the bottom line is that there is no Mertzger PDK offering from Porsche. It's easy to say make a different case but until someone actually DOES it, you're wasting your breath.

Making some aftermarket stuff and something warrantied to Porsche quality standards while also being cost effective are two different things. Maybe it cost too much for them.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:49 AM
NIGT3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Who cares how stupid it is, the fact is that if Porsche could have done it to their satisfaction they would have. If not please explain why they did not and have not since they had a great motor and PDK ready since before the launch of the 997.1 Turbo. You can argue the semantics all day but the bottom line is that there is no Mertzger PDK offering from Porsche. It's easy to say make a different case but until someone actually DOES it, you're wasting your breath.

Making some aftermarket stuff and something warrantied to Porsche quality standards while also being cost effective are two different things. Maybe it cost too much for them.

I for one would never want a PDK Gt3 and I'm glad porsche did not offer this as an option on the 997 gt3's, but too say it cannot be done (like alot of people have stated on this thread) is again, annoyingly STUPID!!!!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I don't know if they're not offering PDK because it can't handle the expected track duty (though I don't think so given that some P-car race teams have been running them hard for years now), because they wouldn't sell enough of them (vs. manual) or some other reason, but I'm pretty darn sure it wasn't a "philosophical" decision.

Porsche (and VW) are profit driven first and foremost and for us as the consumers and fanbase to infer that the decision was on principal is foolish IMO.

For what it's worth, I'd love to drive a PDK GT3! I'll never understand the guys who are offended by it either. It's an OPTION. If it only came in PDK that would be another story but how does offering it as such take away from the ones equipped with manual? It doesn't.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:59 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mdrums
There are some 997 Turbo's I track with that get around the track just fine...extremely quickly.
I agree. Any modern 911, and certainly all the 997s, can be very quick and reliable on the track, even my Targa 4S probably for the reason stated that they all have the same chassis and basically the same suspension.

But I also agree with Yrallis that most folsk who buy a Turbo aren't looking to track it. Of course there are exceptions, but if I'm Porsche and I'm building actuarial tables, I'm counting on a high % of the Turbos to see limited if any track time.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GTgears
Lol, and if they did a pdk gt3 rs...it would be my next car...shame the mb sls amg may just have to fulfill that need for me!

Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
BTW, it's HANS MEZGER. There is no "t" in his last name. Just sayin..

Old 01-15-2012, 10:22 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911dev
BTW, it's HANS MEZGER. There is no "t" in his last name. Just sayin..
lol! I think most of us know that... But as Americans, we would start pronouncing it wrong - Mezzzger, as opposed to "Metsger". Some people even put the 'r' to retain more of the original pronunciation -Mertzger. It's one of those different sounds that most English speaking people don't normally here/say.

But thanks for the correction.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by easy_button
Does seem odd that there is an argument as to whether or not it should be even offered. Put it on the options list; if no one orders it... there you go.
The thing is, it costs Porsche quite a lot in engineering and production costs to offer two options. Costs that are probably not covered by the very few people who will choose it.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 AM
ENV² is a jewel in the roughENV² is a jewel in the roughENV² is a jewel in the rough
This is outstanding news.

If you are buying a GT3 you need to know how to actually drive and shift well on your own. I would buy one solely for the experience of driving. While I think PDK is amazing, it takes away from the actual "experience" Now I want to own a Porsche even more!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:25 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ENV²
This is outstanding news.

If you are buying a GT3 you need to know how to actually drive and shift well on your own. I would buy one solely for the experience of driving. While I think PDK is amazing, it takes away from the actual "experience" Now I want to own a Porsche even more!
Please clarify - you want to own a Porsche because they are not offering a technology that they have for a specific model as an option?

Would you also prefer an Audi model that did not offer Bluetooth as an option? Implying that we should all know how to make phone calls?

Or a model that didn't offer heated seats, because we should all learn how to dress more appropriately?

Or a model that didn't offer an MP3 player - because cassettes still exist?

Etc...

The issue is - the technology exists. Why not offer it as an option (like other models in the 911 lineup)? Why exclude the GT3?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Please clarify - you want to own a Porsche because they are not offering a technology that they have for a specific model as an option?

Would you also prefer an Audi model that did not offer Bluetooth as an option? Implying that we should all know how to make phone calls?

Or a model that didn't offer heated seats, because we should all learn how to dress more appropriately?

Or a model that didn't offer an MP3 player - because cassettes still exist?

Etc...

The issue is - the technology exists. Why not offer it as an option (like other models in the 911 lineup)? Why exclude the GT3?
Well said, I have a manual GT3 and have a deposit on the 991 GT3 which will be a manual as well but I agree, the PDK should be an option.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 PM
rbt
rbt has a spectacular aura aboutrbt has a spectacular aura about
A lot of strong feelings on this subject, that is good fun.
Personally I belive that we well see an alternative to a manual gearbox in the lifetime of the 991 GT3, although I wouldn't bet that PDK is the only alternative to the good old 3 pedal solution.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
The next gearbox will be called iGear... there is an App for that! You just sign up with Apple, they download it, charge you some money and you are in business. You can chose between 6-7-8-9 and 10 gear with a little more money for more gear (hey somebody has to make money out of this).. Think it is far fetched?? Perhaps...not !

Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Bruce
Well said, I have a manual GT3 and have a deposit on the 991 GT3 which will be a manual as well but I agree, the PDK should be an option.
Deposit here as well; manual too, no matter if PDK is an option or not.

Will you consider the RS? I have first right on either car. Don't know that I want to dump another $20k over the gt3 on one though. Problem is I have strongly considered PCCBs this round as I only street and dig the look, low weight and minimal dust. However, once you opt to pay $9k for them, an RS is closer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 gets no PDK