Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why a GT2 or GT3 over a turbo AWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Why a GT2 or GT3 over a turbo AWD

So I am just about to pull the wallet out on a modified 996TT but I am wondering what is it about the GT2 and GT3 that attracts people.

I myself want performance, Great power and great handling. I am not a drag guy at all. Track and great street handling is my like.

What makes a GT2 or 3 desirable. I would really imagine the AWD would be a faster easier to drive car under most situations.

The Car I am looking at has 600 wheel Hp and will get better suspension.

Is a 2WD car worth considering????

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
GT2 or GT3/RS are both pure no compromise cars drivers cars.

The turbo although very good is just to heavy, mushy, underwhelming for most enthusiasts.

Just my 02.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Care to elaborate on the underwhelming part, what about if a person puts a good set of ohlins suspenders on a TT and some links. The car will be driven quite frequently for pleasure in the summer.

Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing

The turbo although very good is just to heavy, mushy, underwhelming for most enthusiasts.

Just my 02.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
Care to elaborate on the underwhelming part, what about if a person puts a good set of ohlins suspenders on a TT and some links. The car will be driven quite frequently for pleasure in the summer.

You just cant compare a Turbo to a GT2 or GT3/RS the pure driving experience is second to none in the GT2 /GT3-RS.
The Turbo is muted with to many electronic gizmo's etc.

Sure you can always add Ohlins to a turbo and do all the suspension upgrades but why go through that when you can have something pure out of the box.

Hard to describe its just something you have to experience first hand.

I get to drive some pretty cool cars day in and day out and for me personally the GT2 will always be the ultimate driving experience closely followed by a GT3/RS.

Dont get me wrong its not like I would kick a turbo out of the garage either

JMHO.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:31 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Though the turbo's HP & TQ is impressive, I much prefer the sound (and non-lag) of a N/A flat-6 engine... and the GT3RS & RS4.0 cars are incredible performers (esp the latter).

The GT2RS is arguably in a class by itself; but again, I prefer a N/A engine. YMMV.

But hey, owning ANY Porsche is quite a gift.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:56 AM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
I agree with Fabryce. the only way you can decide is to drive them back to back. after that it's really easy to make a decision, but it could go either way depending on your preference. but the test drive should clear up the differences.

myself, I drove the turbo and liked it so much I made an offer on the car. then, I drove the GT3 and completely changed my mind

Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing

Just my 02.

Yes but with the GMG springs and sways, and a little exhaust work it transforms the 997TT into a different car...at least IMO

Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I had the same type of car you are considering, almost 600 HP 996 TT with coil-overs, etc. I'm currently after a 997.2 GT3 after driving it twice over the past several months in test-drives. I do not track the cars but use as a sort-of DD on typically decent roads. The Turbo probably was faster around a track and had OMG accelleration, but who can use that much in regular driving ? Not me. The GT3 has enough power and while firm and super-responsive, it feels very right as a road car when driven in road car style. I'm sure the GT2 is all that and maybe the best of both worlds, but after having the big power before I feel no need for it now. Good luck in your search and be sure to try before you buy

Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 AM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Having owned 6GT3 lightly modded then a 6GT2 highly modded they are very different animals.

6GT2 gives you a kick in the pants no GT3 can duplicate and handling can be made very good.

6GT3 light, nimble, engine sound you have to love, very tossable.

In the end I went back to the 6GT3 for the fun factor the GT2 didn't have. I really liked the linear power delivery of the 3.

If you are addicted to Boost then you have your answer.

Peter

Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
+1!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by evil panda
I agree with Fabryce. the only way you can decide is to drive them back to back. after that it's really easy to make a decision, but it could go either way depending on your preference. but the test drive should clear up the differences.

myself, I drove the turbo and liked it so much I made an offer on the car. then, I drove the GT3 and completely changed my mind
Drive both and you will get it....i had a turbo and was great, but prefer NA and the feel of purity of GT cars. Oh and the ability to drift it, is sorta fun

Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Jgalt is infamous around these partsJgalt is infamous around these parts
GT3 vs. Turbo

AS alluded to above, the surge of a turbo on boost is pure adrenaline. But the problem is that once your off boost, the high goes away. With the GT3 you feel this all the time. And the sound, wow. Light throttle acceleration, even close to the speed limit, you are connected. Go in to an expressway exit at just a little over the recommended speed and you are engaged. Then run up to redline, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by handdoc
Yes but with the GMG springs and sways, and a little exhaust work it transforms the 997TT into a different car...at least IMO

You do have a point

Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
3RS4.0 is infamous around these parts
Until you have driven a GT/2/3/RS you simply will not understand...and nothing we say will help you get closer to your answer.

Unless one drives a GT3/3RS above 7.0K rpm a 997 GT2 makes the NA feel slow...everywhere but corners. I personally like the GT2 sound track inside the cabin. Flat 6 + angry turbos = epic. NA sound is great, but it's not faster in the dry. YMMV

The ONLY context in which I would consider the AWD is for regular winter driving with snow and ice.

Good luck, it's a great choice to have.

Last edited by 3RS4.0; 01-10-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I think you said it yourself in what you like.......track and street handling are what the GT3/RS are all about.

In the end, a lot of folks have said the right thing.......drive them all and pick what is right for you. I drove both a GT3 and Turbo to make my decision. Once I drove the GT3 that was it. I had to have one.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Rental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura about
You definitely need to drive them to feel your preference. You do get that extra exclusivity with the GT3 or GT2 which is nice for some people. I drove my buddy's track modified 996 GT3 back to back with my street modified 996 Turbo and decided that the GT3 wasn't for me and took it off of my short list for my next car. It just didn't have the power that I became used to in my Turbo.

A 996 Turbo can be easily modified to RWD and have the extra weight shaved but I've heard it's not the same as driving a GT2. To me, the AWD is definitely more forgiving though and far superior if you ever encounter wet track conditions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why a GT2 or GT3 over a turbo AWD