Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Wheel pinstripes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2007 | 04:24 PM
|
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
Wheel pinstripes

I remember seeing some posts on here about vinyl pinstripes for the wheels. I am a fan of a white pinstripe on black wheels but would not want to paint it on as i can see myself getting bored of it. Those of you who have done it:
- How was the "install" other than cleaning the wheels perfectly are there any tips?
- Does it come out looking professional or does it look like crap?

Old 10-17-2007 | 06:43 PM
P97
P97 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
I remember seeing some posts on here about vinyl pinstripes for the wheels. I am a fan of a white pinstripe on black wheels but would not want to paint it on as i can see myself getting bored of it. Those of you who have done it:
- How was the "install" other than cleaning the wheels perfectly are there any tips?
- Does it come out looking professional or does it look like crap?

Install is straight forward. Hard part is keeping the spacing evenly from the edges.

What I did was took a 1/4" stripe, put it flushed against the edge of the wheel where it mates to the tire. Did this all the way around. This will serve as a evenly spaced temporary guide for the real 1/8" stripe.

Next, using your finger, put a thin coat of water around the lip. This will allow the 1/8" stripe to move around so you can flush the stripe against the 1/4" stripe. By sliding the 1/8" stripe in place, it will give it that rounded look vs. the angled look you get if you were to tack it in place. You have to have patience here and "squeegie" out the water from underneath with your finger. It may slide around a bit, but if you're patient, you'll get the hang of it. Try dapping it dry with a towel.

Afterwards, peel away the 1/4". By the time I got to the 3rd wheel, I got a good sense of what to do. Had to go back to the 1st wheel and redo.

I initially thought the 1/8" was too thin, but when it's on the wheel, the "halo" effect makes it look much larger than it really is.

Last edited by P97; 10-17-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2007 | 09:13 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
i just had a 1/4" stripe painted on the outter rim ..... 1/4 black 1/4 yellow 1/4 black........ so amazing ..!!!!! full back rim now if i can figure out out how to post a ic fro my new MAC ! i would! SY roll bar .... sparco dtm carbon seats withblack 6 point harnesses with sy pull tabs!

Old 10-18-2007 | 07:54 AM
fivelitre is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 930man
i just had a 1/4" stripe painted on the outter rim ..... 1/4 black 1/4 yellow 1/4 black........ so amazing ..!!!!! full back rim now if i can figure out out how to post a ic fro my new MAC ! i would! SY roll bar .... sparco dtm carbon seats withblack 6 point harnesses with sy pull tabs!
Any pics of the Sparco Seats as i'm seriously considering these for my 996GT2.

C.

Old 10-18-2007 | 11:03 AM
|
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
P97- thanks for the info, your car was the one i remember seeing. It looks amazing by the way. I don't exactly understand what you did with the 1/4th stripe, was that one used to keep the 1/8th one 1/4 of an in from the tire? How does it look where the edges of the stripes meet up when u get all the way around? Do you have any close up pics of the wheels?
Thanks

Old 10-18-2007 | 11:50 AM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
I wanted a stripe on the wheels of my Lambo, I asked around and found a few people that painted them on but it was expensive, then when I was picking the car up after it got the clear bra, the guy said "you should get a stripe on the wheels, we can do that"... Had I known I would have had them do it, and being very impatient, didn't want to wait to bring it back, so I went to Pep Boys and for $5, got a roll of pinstriping, got home and had to go out to dinner in an hour, I said F**K it and did a rush job, it took me about 20 minutes to do all four wheels and yes there are a few spots where it's not quite the exact shape of the wheel but you can barely tell, and if you are just looking at the car as most people do, nobody will notice... With that being said, if you take your time, it's very easy, just be patient it will look great.

I have since got new wheels but I still like the look of the old ones with the stripe...

Another option I found the other day are these pre-made rings, they are pretty cheap and come in all the colors you would want, I assume they are pretty easy to put on and will probably look better than hand done pinstriping: http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1311 but you can always experiment with the pinstriping first and if it looks good, leave it?

Attached Images     
Old 10-18-2007 | 12:29 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
they may look ok still, take a gander while they are rolling. I think you may change your mind.

I like the reflective tape.

Old 10-18-2007 | 12:33 PM
|
I think im gonna try out those pre-made rings, they look promising

Old 10-18-2007 | 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by oak
they may look ok still, take a gander while they are rolling. I think you may change your mind.

I like the reflective tape.
I'm not sure if you are talking about my car with the old wheels or not but here's a picture or it rolling... I don't see anything wrong with it...

Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2007 | 12:36 PM
I think im gonna try out those pre-made rings, they look promising
For $40 you can't go wrong, if you don't like them, just take them off....
Lemme know how they work out, I may want to do them to one of my other cars or a future car...

Old 10-18-2007 | 01:12 PM
P97
I don't exactly understand what you did with the 1/4th stripe, was that one used to keep the 1/8th one 1/4 of an in from the tire? Thanks
Yes, the 1/4 stripe helps keep the 1/8 centered on the lip and provide equal spacing all around. Pics...

Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2007 | 02:00 PM
ucool22 is infamous around these parts
p97, what kind of tape did u get? thanks

Old 10-18-2007 | 02:33 PM
P97
Beaverstripes.com has vinyl stripe in a variety of colors. The smallest they have is 1/4 though. To get 1/8, they have this tool that splits it down the middle. A car graphic buddy of mine split them for me.

Link to beaverstripes....don't worry, it's not a **** site so it's SFW

http://www.beaverstripes.com/index.asp?cat=167653

Old 10-19-2007 | 06:35 PM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
Seems like everyone is doing this to black wheels. Better contrast, but how'd it look on silver wheels?

Old 10-20-2007 | 01:46 PM
Bellefonte is infamous around these parts
I found these motorcycle decals. I am not sure if they will fit.

http://www.xtreemedecals.com/default...CTIONSword=ww1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel pinstripes