Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Is GT3 just out of control hard to handle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:27 AM
STI_SLC is infamous around these parts
original poster.... are you 17?
ha..... funny reading your words.

if you want the gt3 or rs... step to it, respect it, spend the money for track instruction and car control.. you'll be fine.
it is a very refined machine on the track or in the canyon...
the way you speak about it though, makes me a bit nervous for your wife and insurance company.....

Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 AM
IIVVX is infamous around these partsIIVVX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by globalm3
The problem is if i drive one ill pay 15 over and buy the white one at boardwalk
i checked that one out as well but you can easily get a better deal from another dealer and have it shipped.

GT3 Vs. Turbo, that's a tough decision but personally i would always recommend RWD over AWD. it's a purer experience. drive it and decide.

now, if this was GT3RS Vs. Turbo then i would definately say RS!

Old 10-25-2007, 12:31 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STI_SLC
original poster.... are you 17?
ha..... funny reading your words.

if you want the gt3 or rs... step to it, respect it, spend the money for track instruction and car control.. you'll be fine.
it is a very refined machine on the track or in the canyon...
the way you speak about it though, makes me a bit nervous for your wife and insurance company.....
Yea im 17, sorry I speak 4 diffrent languages and I cant spell that well since English is not my first, hater!

Your an idiot by the way go drive your STI or whatever you have and leave my thread alone.

thanks everyone else for your help!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Juha is infamous around these parts
With ~6k miles and ~10 track weekends with my 996GT3, I would say this car is very predictable as long as you play it by it's rules. You can hold the car in long power slides and rotate it with brakes with ease as long as your inputs are firm and smooth.
But be aware, any jerky input, such as stomping on the brakes/gas or letting off the gas/brakes abruptly or jerky steering will upset the car and she will bite you back, HARD!

The 997 is a better platform due to the PSM and TC so if that's what you're looking for, I'd say go for it!

Last edited by Juha; 10-25-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:44 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Juha
With ~6k miles and ~10 track weekends with my 996GT3, I would say this car is very predictable as long as you play it by it's rules. You can hold the car in long power slides and rotate it with brakes with ease as long as your inputs are firm and smooth.
But be aware, any jerky input, such as stomping on the brakes/gas or letting off the gas/brakes abruptly or jerky steering will upset the car and she will bite you back, HARD!

The 997 is a better platform due to the PSM and TC so if that's what you're looking for, I'd say go for it!
EXACTAMUNDO, finesse is needed for these cars!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:54 PM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by iLLM3
EXACTAMUNDO, finesse is needed for these cars!
+1. Well said, Juha.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:50 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
The turbo can be pretty easily adjusted to a more track oriented config with little sacrifice of street comfort. Keep in mind those Gt3's will have little room for power mods in the future, whereas the TT can grow a long ways. Being capped at last years' HP bar is part of the reason I sold my GT3 and kept the TT. Check out my sig video if you want to see how a TT can run with Gt3's and Gt2's on the track

Old 10-26-2007, 12:38 AM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
It gets a little scarey at about 7500 rpms

Old 10-26-2007, 12:57 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DrPeter
It gets a little scarey at about 7500 rpms
Scary on the Turbos, yes.
But on the the GT3, that's where the fun starts.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:24 PM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
All I can say is that I drove a 996 GT3 and I'm still alive. I would imagine the 997 to be easier to drive because of the drive assitance. i.e. TC

Old 10-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Juha is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by .:Raul
All I can say is that I drove a 996 GT3 and I'm still alive. I would imagine the 997 to be easier to drive because of the drive assitance. i.e. TC
Exactly! It all depends on what is between the seat and the steering wheel!
I know I have some friends I would NEVER let drive my GT3.

And this "I know my limits" talk is all BS. The limit is a very thin line drawn on the water. It changes all the time, car's are different, tires are different, roads are different, weather is different...
And It's not about the limits, it's about judgement; you just have to know when and where you can afford to loose it and go over the limit.
Bad judgement is when you pass your limits in a situation that leads to something worse than just spinning your car around or running of the road.

I have friends that sometimes use bad judgement and most of these times they have gotten away with it just because they were not in a car such as the 996GT3...

I'm not saying one shouldn't try to find the limits or pass them, hell I do it all the time!! I'm just saying use your judgement on when and where to do it!!

Last edited by Juha; 10-26-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:41 PM
IIVVX is infamous around these partsIIVVX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Juha
Exactly! It all depends on what is between the seat and the steering wheel!
I know I have some friends I would NEVER let drive my GT3.

And this "I know my limits" talk is all BS. The limit is a very thin line drawn on the water. It changes all the time, car's are different, tires are different, roads are different, weather is different...
And It's not about the limits, it's about judgement; you just have to know when and where you can afford to loose it and go over the limit and that's where and how you learn your limits.
Bad judgement is when you pass your limits in a situation that leads to something worse than just spinning your car around or running of the road.
I have friends that sometimes use bad judgement and most of these times they have gotten away with it just because they were not in a car such as the 996GT3...

I'm not saying one shouldn't try to find the limits, hell I do it all the time!! I'm just saying use your judgement on when and where to do it!!
well said, unfortunately common sense can't be taught.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:53 AM
SWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Scary on the Turbos, yes.
But on the the GT3, that's where the fun starts.
I like to think that the fun starts a little earlier, from around 5000 all the way up to about 8000, shift and repeat.

I have to admit, it sounds like the OP has a lot of maturing before he is ready for any high performance vehicle.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:30 AM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks again for everyones response. I was given the choice to give up my Turbo spot for a 08 GT3 spot. I will go talk to the master tech at the dealer and see what he thinks the Turbo can do after some suspension mods etc. Im not a track junkie "yet" but as soon as Eagle Canyon opens 30 minutes from here... my wife may not see me to much ahhaha
Ill keep everyone posted.

thanks again

Old 10-28-2007, 04:12 AM
Turbo4ever is a jewel in the roughTurbo4ever is a jewel in the roughTurbo4ever is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by globalm3
So im really seriouse about getting a GT3 or GT3RS and just saying screw the Turbo. Even after owning the turbo I love the ride and feel of my C2S and almost enjoyed driving it more than the Turbo...

Is the GT3 a totaly diffrent animal? I take turns fast as hell and play around with my back end allot.

Is it true GT3 do not have traction control? Is this a good idea or should I stay in a comfort zone and stick with the Turbo in May?

I have driven the RS and the car is so stable and easy to handle at the limit. You know what's going on all the time. If you don't like the turbo or couldn't explored its limit, I suggest you go for the 3 or RS. Those GT's aren't hard to control like people thoughts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is GT3 just out of control hard to handle?