Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Is GT3 just out of control hard to handle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:14 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Is GT3 just out of control hard to handle?

So im really seriouse about getting a GT3 or GT3RS and just saying screw the Turbo. Even after owning the turbo I love the ride and feel of my C2S and almost enjoyed driving it more than the Turbo...

Is the GT3 a totaly diffrent animal? I take turns fast as hell and play around with my back end allot.

Is it true GT3 do not have traction control? Is this a good idea or should I stay in a comfort zone and stick with the Turbo in May?

Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
996 GT3= NO TC
997 GT3= TC and PASM

Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the 996 GT3 has no traction control the 997 GT3 does but those that have em that have also had 996 GT3's don't seem concerned about it...the GT3 with a proper alignment, setup and adequate driver is a relatively easy car to control even near the limits...the amount of feedback response is amazing...if you are heavy handed then this may not be the car for you...me thinks you need to drive one

Old 10-24-2007, 08:26 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
the 996 GT3 has no traction control the 997 GT3 does but those that have em that have also had 996 GT3's don't seem concerned about it...the GT3 with a proper alignment, setup and adequate driver is a relatively easy car to control even near the limits...the amount of feedback response is amazing...if you are heavy handed then this may not be the car for you...me thinks you need to drive one
The problem is if i drive one ill pay 15 over and buy the white one at boardwalk im scured of the impulsive aggresive purchasing my wife says I do... shes just crazy

thanks everyone for the input...

honestly I drive 130 on the highway when thier is no cars around and I love to take turns fast as **** when no cars are around... i did a track event and am addicted to speed in a porsche

Old 10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Its very overhyped for the 996 variants of the GT cars (GT2/3) in terms of how scary or uncontrolable people feel they are being pushed hard.. With a good competent driver who respects their limits and has a good sense of feel with their car to know how far to go on backroads, street, track the car is SO REWARDING and fun, not scary one bit.. When back end steps out a little its easy to control for the most part, these car's have so much grip though that sometimes its what makes the car very hard to control (using excess power to get that back end out, THEN it being way too much to control in a spur of the moment decision)

In all, these cars are mindblowing, flat out! Don't be scared

Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The GT3 isn't any more "scary" to drive than any older 911, go for it if you can, they are awesome cars. But I would suggest a few more track days before you test the limits of a GT3 or the Turbo.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Alex13188 is infamous around these parts
I find the car very easy to control. Just like any car you have to respect it if you push past your limit it will bite you.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Manny is infamous around these parts
I have driven both and the turbo is a better, more comfortable and more luxurious all around daily driver in most normal driving conditions. The Turbo has much better low end torque, all wheel drive and is faster in a straight line. The Turbo suspension is also more compliant on less than perfect road surfaces.
The GT3 is tuned for serious track junkies, it has an 8400 RPM redline with torque at the higher end of the RPM range, it is much lighter, comes with R compound tires, it is louder, rougher, less forgiving and a lot more fun to drive at the limit. The GT3 also has a far more adjustable suspension, which provides better handling and is therefore faster in most competitive driving situations, especially when negotiating fast turns.
Bottom line is that the choice depends on how and where you intend to drive.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
u just have to be more careful on what u do since u have no PSM angel watch above u. if u respect it car u'll be fine.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
The GT3 is the most rewarding of the 2 to a good driver. Anybody can drive a Turbo fast.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
The GT3 is the most rewarding of the 2 to a good driver. Anybody can drive a Turbo fast.
Not around a track they cant...haha

I would still say feel wise, the GT3 is just KILLER compared to the turbo...even with my suspension work. As for some that are saying the car isnt "scary"...well, that depends on what limits and skills one has...The cars DO break away fairly nicely, but when one is REALLY pushing the cars, the amount of control and sensitivity it takes to keep up the speed is scary in itself. That said, for the kind of driving you say you do, you like the corner carving and speed runs but dont really reach any limits...I think the GT3 would be fine. Just make sure you TRUELY know the dynamics of the car as you have no TC/SC to save you for when you run out of talent...

Old 10-25-2007, 09:08 AM
997gt3north is just really nice997gt3north is just really nice997gt3north is just really nice997gt3north is just really nice997gt3north is just really nice
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
996 GT3= NO TC
997 GT3= TC and PASM
997 GT3 has TC but "not" PASM
- the TC even when ON is not very intrusive and will not save you from spinning - trust me
- in the Sport mode (more low end tq/hp) the TC limit is further raised and you can have the car in a bigtime tailout position and it will not come on
- in the off position, it is off

- the TC is clearly more concerned with wheels spinning than bigtime yaw positions which can and do lead to spins

- for most people, the turbo is the car to get, if however you like to do trackdays, are willing to put in a harness / rolebar, 5/6pt harnesses and dial in the allignment to get the car to turn-in when driving above 6/10ths (needs more front camber and less rear camber than the manual states) then get the GT3

- i've had my car for 10mths, put 13,000miles on it with 20 trackdays and in my opinion the 997gt3 has to be one of the top5 drivers cars ever made period

Old 10-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by 997gt3north
997 GT3 has TC but "not" PASM
- the TC even when ON is not very intrusive and will not save you from spinning - trust me
- in the Sport mode (more low end tq/hp) the TC limit is further raised and you can have the car in a bigtime tailout position and it will not come on
- in the off position, it is off

- the TC is clearly more concerned with wheels spinning than bigtime yaw positions which can and do lead to spins

- for most people, the turbo is the car to get, if however you like to do trackdays, are willing to put in a harness / rolebar, 5/6pt harnesses and dial in the allignment to get the car to turn-in when driving above 6/10ths (needs more front camber and less rear camber than the manual states) then get the GT3

- i've had my car for 10mths, put 13,000miles on it with 20 trackdays and in my opinion the 997gt3 has to be one of the top5 drivers cars ever made period
What does PASM do for stability? So in realty when im in a empty parking lot and I want to turn the car sideways it wont be as easy to direct it were I want to go like the C2S I have corrects me and sometimes gets on my nerves

EDIT: Thanks for the advice and input guys!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by globalm3
So im really seriouse about getting a GT3 or GT3RS and just saying screw the Turbo. Even after owning the turbo I love the ride and feel of my C2S and almost enjoyed driving it more than the Turbo...

Is the GT3 a totaly diffrent animal? I take turns fast as hell and play around with my back end allot.

Is it true GT3 do not have traction control? Is this a good idea or should I stay in a comfort zone and stick with the Turbo in May?
Just get sways and motons for the turbo and have it alligned for the track. You will be shocked!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
Ahh Choices, choices. If you are getting the track bug then IMHO the choice of a the GT3 is obvious. The DFW tracks aren't big HP tracks.

Last edited by Ritesh; 10-25-2007 at 01:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is GT3 just out of control hard to handle?