Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 GT2 vs Z06 C6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM
iceman996 is infamous around these parts
I think it is more fair to compare the new Nissan GTR with Z06 C6, both in same price range and close performance.

I will pick GTR I guess...

Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
In many ways this is a fair and unfair comparison. IMHO if you think your car is fast in the streets (straight line runs) you need to run a Z06 Vette. to me that is the common gold standard on the streets. If the Z06 is modded then you have a tough one on your hands.
The Porsche GT2 is awesome and the quality is pure excellence. The Z06 Vette is the best "bang for the buck". When the supercharged ZO6/7? Vette comes out with 650 bhp it remains the top dog for the buck.
The Porsche has the fit and finish and the power. It also has the price and prestige.
I have a modded E60 M5 and I took on a modded Z06 Vette. Did rolling starts 30 to 185 mph and it took all of my 581rwhp to be be able to pull out 2 car lengths. That car was a monster. Due to gearing the Z06 hits a wall at 160.
I love Porsche would always be true to the marque but I tell you the Z06 is compelling and a great buy for the "performance buck".

Cheers and good luck to all,

GT3Ranger

Old 11-21-2007, 04:03 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Z06 CLK63AMGBlack GT2
HP 512 507 530

0-100kph 4.0 4.2 3.6
0-160kph 8.0 9.1 7.7
0-200kph 11.8 14.0 11.5

as per AMS test this month

Attached Images  

Last edited by rmrmd1956; 11-21-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: More detailed info
Old 11-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Lemar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zeus
Let's say...you had a ZO6 and a GT2 parked side by side. You give both sets of keys to groups of race car drivers, car enthusiasts, the automotive media and the average Joe shmuck who can drive a car. Their task: Drive them for a month on both the track & on the street (no off-roading allowed) - ***** out. Return them to see which one of 'em held up best to the punishment.

Now who saved 100k?
The person with the Vette because he can just go out and buy a new one . Just had to be an **** and throw that out there.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:25 AM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
Wink

gentlemen... class never comes cheap.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
I had a C6Z06 recently and here is my take:

- It was the most fun I have ever had in a car.
- Absolutley the fastest stock street car I have ever driven
- Handling was awesome with pretty decent brakes for the street
- I could not stand the transmission noise with low revs in 1st gear. I know there will be Z owners that will say "you just need to keep the revs up in 1st gear". At the risk of looking like a ****** in every parking lot where you have to go slow and be careful of pedestrians....its damn hard to do.
- The exterior of the car is gorgeous
- The interior belongs in the Cobalt
- Awkward seating position and tough to judge distance due to the long front end
- Build quality is about a 7 on a scale from 1-10. Porsche wins in a landslide here.
- Paint was pretty decent but nowhere close to Porsche quality

I actually liked the driving experience more than my 996TT. I know the reason why now, I didn't care for the AWD in the TT. I mentioned this before, if I had it to do all over again the wise choice for me would have been to keep my 996TT and make it RWD. All tolled - the Z06 is damn nice car for the price and one to consider as long as you know that you are getting a more "raw" car that lacks the refinement of a Euro. Coming from two Porsches and two BMW's, I could not get past the lack of refinement. To each their own.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:39 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
the new z06 will be quicker than the 7 Gt2. z06 rulz.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Afg
Afg is infamous around these parts
GT2 is always better than any car !

Old 11-25-2007, 11:44 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
yeah, better at depreciating.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:30 PM
wittenbergj is infamous around these parts
Yawn, hear we go again, doesn’t anyone get tired of this discussion, they are both great cars for what they are.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by amerlemans
I had a C6Z06 recently and here is my take:

- It was the most fun I have ever had in a car.
- Absolutley the fastest stock street car I have ever driven
- Handling was awesome with pretty decent brakes for the street
- I could not stand the transmission noise with low revs in 1st gear. I know there will be Z owners that will say "you just need to keep the revs up in 1st gear". At the risk of looking like a ****** in every parking lot where you have to go slow and be careful of pedestrians....its damn hard to do.
- The exterior of the car is gorgeous
- The interior belongs in the Cobalt
- Awkward seating position and tough to judge distance due to the long front end
- Build quality is about a 7 on a scale from 1-10. Porsche wins in a landslide here.
- Paint was pretty decent but nowhere close to Porsche quality

I actually liked the driving experience more than my 996TT. I know the reason why now, I didn't care for the AWD in the TT. I mentioned this before, if I had it to do all over again the wise choice for me would have been to keep my 996TT and make it RWD. All tolled - the Z06 is damn nice car for the price and one to consider as long as you know that you are getting a more "raw" car that lacks the refinement of a Euro. Coming from two Porsches and two BMW's, I could not get past the lack of refinement. To each their own.

My experience with the C6 Z06 pretty much mirrors yours. The car was a lot of fun. The long gears took away some of the shifting enjoyment, though.. couldn't get out of 2nd gear (~88 mph) on most secondary roads (of course, the GT3 isn't much better at ~82 mph in 2nd gear). And, traction was difficult below 80 degrees.

The new leather dash and upper door panel option is a welcome addition - it's a shame GM doesn't offer it in all black leather.

My wish list would've been: nicer seats, less low speed drive-line slop, the formentioned dash leather, better steering (improved for '08), and a few other minor things.

Overall, a very entertaining car, and very livable as a daily driver.

Is it a GT2? Um, no.

Last edited by Rob; 11-25-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rob
My experience with the C6 Z06 pretty much mirrors yours. The car was a lot of fun. The long gears took away some of the shifting enjoyment, though.. couldn't get out of 2nd gear (~88 mph) on most secondary roads (of course, the GT3 isn't much better at ~82 mph in 2nd gear). And, traction was difficult below 80 degrees.

The new leather dash and upper door panel option is a welcome addition - it's a shame GM doesn't offer it in all black leather.

My wish list would've been: nicer seats, less low speed drive-line slop, the formentioned dash leather, better steering (improved for '08), and a few other minor things.

Is it a GT2? Um, no.
Damn Rob -- your GT3 sounds awesome and what I would get (if I was in a position to get one....which I am not). Love the white/black. Got any pics you can PM me?

EDIT: just did a search and found your pics..............b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l

Congrats

Last edited by amerlemans; 11-25-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Damn Rob -- your GT3 sounds awesome and what I would get (if I was in a position to get one....which I am not). Love the white/black. Got any pics you can PM me?

EDIT: just did a search and found your pics..............b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l

Congrats

Thank you.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vincentdds
You won't see anybody drooling over a Z06s regardless...
Lots of people dig this car.... fast as hell, amazing handling, great brakes and it has that american bad-*** sound. Maybe people don't like the sound of a high reving 7.0L V8 as it blows there doors off, but I personally thought it was great.

My wife sold her 07 Z06 because she wanted a 997 Turbo. The only reason she sold it is because she finds driving stick stressful (although she does it well, she finds with all the hills around her that she is stressed and it takes away from the fun).

I regularly got to enjoy the Z06. I'm not sure how to say this, but it is the real deal. It doesn't feel firm like my turbo for example the steering feels "less tight" and "less descript", but it definitely works and works well. It is a very very fast car after about 4800 RPM it's unstoppable, and the handling is great... they just need to tune the "Feel" of the car to make it a little tighter.

Seth

Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rob

Is it a GT2? Um, no.
"Slow speed driving slop"... thats what I've been trying to describe for ever now... I agree... #1 upset me was the crappy seats, and replacing them was going to be harder (dash light) because of the air bag in the seat. Leather dash is also a nice touch, wish it had been available in 07.

Seth