Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

why is there a thump when i backup?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 AM
eriru is infamous around these parts
this is driving me crazy, took it to the dealer, they heard it, had the car for a week, told they couldnt replicate it, and theres nothing wrong, on the first back up the thump again, anyone with new info.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
funny mine did the same thing (or didn't do) when i took it to sharkwerks. did multiple backups with alex and of course, no thump. what alex suggested is try to park it overnite w/o the handbrakes applied (car in gear of course) and see if there's no thump. haven't tried it yet though. i have a feeling they are correct about the culprit being the brakes sticking(?) and i usually hear a thump after some period where the car sits with the handbrakes applied.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:51 PM
thks for the input, but even without handbrake applied, happens sometimes, it doesnt have to be overnight, after driving for some time if i stop and backup, the thump is present, tried to see if it is if i brake hard, easy, etc, theres no pattern, and it is very loud, as if something is loose, motor support, brake caliper,

Old 12-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Hello again, anyone with this problem that got it solved, it just doesnt go away an dealer checked everything again and just doesnt know what to do, thks in advance and merry xmas to all.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:25 PM
kermit_S is infamous around these parts
I'm going to take mine in next week or so. Only happens when turning the steering wheel and backing up. Does yours do the same?, I'm thinking its cause of the incline backing out of my driveway. But something isnt right.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 PM
it happens with the wheels straight, its only when i brake on reverse, it doesnt have to be in reverse gear, if i back up and put it in neutral the moment i brake i feel the thump, as i said, its occasional and cannot replicate it doing something specific, after that no more, its like something goes into place after driving for a while, but not every time,

Old 12-14-2007, 04:34 PM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
Is the pad shifting?

Old 12-14-2007, 04:44 PM
youre talking about brake pad? that has been checked and they say that everything is allright.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:43 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Schnellerm3, that's the best avatar I've seen yet. lol

Old 12-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Is your car equipped with PCCB?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 PM
no, steel brakes, dealer is just lost, i hope its a brake issue, not transmission or motor, maybe susoension, been checked thouroghly,

Old 12-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm sure its the same issue regardless of PCCB or steel breaks but PNA is aware of the problem. As of right now there saying its not an issue so dont know if they will fix the problem but guess you will know when you get a recall notice in the mail. From what I hear its the brakes being to big but not exactly sure what they meant by that. The sound from mine is more like a piano string sound, is yours the same? Most dealers are aware of the problem coming from 2007 GT3's.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:08 PM
it has the "normal" screeching sound when braking, but the thump is another thing, happens at backing up like you hit something, after that no more thump until the next time,

Old 12-19-2007, 01:17 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
i still have the issue and have not found the root cause. i can repro it (but not always) by tapping on the brakes while backing up.

i have tried parking overnite w/o the handbrakes on, backed out of the garage; no thump, then arrived at work (~10mi), backed into the parking spot, thump.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:21 PM
thats exactly what happens to me, maybe it doesnt like to be at work,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: why is there a thump when i backup?