GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Flying Lizard Drivers Earn Top Two Spots in 2007 Porsche Cup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM
90PSI is infamous around these parts
Flying Lizard Drivers Earn Top Two Spots in 2007 Porsche Cup

Taken from the Flying Lizard Newsletter:

December 12, 2007 -- Sonoma, California -- Flying Lizard driver Johannes van Overbeek took the 2007 Porsche Cup title and teammate Darren Law was second in the annual ranking of the world's most successful private (non-factory) Porsche racecar drivers. The Porsche Cup is sponsored and funded by Porsche AG: drivers are ranked by points earned from competing in professional sports car series worldwide, including the American Le Mans Series.
In 2007, his fourth season with the Flying Lizard team, van Overbeek finished second in the ALMS drivers' championship in the Flying Lizard No. 45 Porsche with co-driver Joerg Bergmeister (a Porsche factory driver). van Overbeek and Bergmeister won first in class in three of the twelve ALMS races this year, including the grueling 1000-mile Petit Le Mans, the flagship race of the ALMS. Law, driving in the Lizard No. 44 Porsche in the 2007 season with teammates Seth Neiman and Lonnie Pechnik, finished sixth overall in the ALMS drivers' championship. Law secured two class podiums this year for the No. 44 (with guest co-driver Patrick Long) at the challenging street course races of Long Beach and St. Petersburg. van Overbeek is one of only five U.S. drivers to win the prestigious Porsche Cup award since its inception in 1970. He is the first American to win since 2002. Awards were presented to van Overbeek and Law on December 8 at the annual Porsche motorsports celebration at the Porsche headequarters in Weissach, Germany.
van Overbeek commented, "The first ingredient in my winning the Porsche Cup was the rest of the team. Flying Lizard Motorsports constantly provided the quickest, most reliable Porsches in the ALMS. My co-drivers did an outstanding job and I would especially like to thank Joerg Bergmeister whose will to win was never in question and Marc Lieb for stepping in and doing such a great job at Sebring and Petit. I also have to thank J-Lowe Racing/TRG for the podium at Daytona last year which positively influenced the outcome of this year's Porsche Cup results. I'm looking forward to an even better 2008."
Law added, "I'm honored to finish where I did in the Porsche Cup this year. Thank you to the teams that made this possible: Flying Lizard for giving me the opportunity to compete in the ALMS and always preparing a front-running car, and also to Brumos Porsche for their support in Grand-Am."

Last edited by 90PSI; 12-12-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:56 PM
90PSI is infamous around these parts

Congrats guys!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
I feel bad for Darren. He really deserved to win. He was just subject to some bad luck.

Either way, congrats to JvO.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Jim Bacus is infamous around these parts
Looks like Wolf Henzler is in that picture too. I wonder where he will be driving next season, I hear Tafel racing will be driving Ferrari.

Last edited by Jim Bacus; 12-12-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Banned
derek k is infamous around these parts
sucks for Darren. nice of Overbeek to mention TRG and Jim Lowe,he will be back with us for the 24 in Jan.

Yes, Tafel made the move to Ferrari. I know Henzler will be driving for Farnbacher at the 3 long distance Rolex GT races in 08.