Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Get the PCCB, they are great. Also it is a definite plus on resale. The carbon-ceramic rotors are suppose to well outlast steel rotors.
If they suck so much for the track why are the '08 GT3 Cup cars coming with ceramics? The breaking effort is less IMO and now with the Dymags it is outrageously less.
Fabryce responded with telemetry info on there race car w/ the Dymags and confirmed these results.
I'd get the PCCB over the PCM and full leather. Those two near equal the value of the PCCB. This is if your are watching your dollars.

Cheers guys and enjoy the holidays,
GT3Ranger...Juan

Old 12-15-2007, 11:16 AM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
I don't have any firsthand experience w/ the PCCBs, but they probably are better than steel for the track (they darn well ought to be!!!) From what I've read and heard, the issue w/ the PCCB is that they're not infallible (nothing is) and replacement cost is very, very expensive. Cost is not going to be as big of an issue for a race team as your average track day enthusiast. Also, Porsche probably wouldn't sell many PCCB systems if the cup cars came w/ steel rotors Not suggesting steel is better, just throwing in a little conspiracy theory for humor.

Another thing to consider is that for the cost of PCCBs, you can probably get an Alcon setup w/ much lighter weight steel rotors compared to OEM steel thereby offsetting some of the benefit of PCCB and potentially better braking, all with the benefit of much lower cost replaceable rotors comparted to ceramic.

Last edited by rja; 12-15-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Jim Bacus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
Get the PCCB, they are great. Also it is a definite plus on resale. The carbon-ceramic rotors are suppose to well outlast steel rotors.
If they suck so much for the track why are the '08 GT3 Cup cars coming with ceramics? The breaking effort is less IMO and now with the Dymags it is outrageously less.
Fabryce responded with telemetry info on there race car w/ the Dymags and confirmed these results.
I'd get the PCCB over the PCM and full leather. Those two near equal the value of the PCCB. This is if your are watching your dollars.

Cheers guys and enjoy the holidays,
GT3Ranger...Juan
I never said they suck for the track, but the consumable cost is very high with them. I was getting them serviced once a month with new pads and sensors, that is expensive. The pads you are suppossed to run with those rotors are not very aggressive, and thus wear fairly rapidly on the track. Also, although my rotors still measured like new after the second pad replacement, the wear indicator holes were starting to deteriorate indicating they were starting to wear out. A friend of mine wore two rear PCCB rotors out on his 997 GT3 RS, and the replacement cost is not pretty.

I track my car quite a bit, over 4,500 track miles this summer, about 6,600 miles total on the car... mostly driving back and forth from the tracks I drive at. (Autobahn Courntry Club and Road America)

When I went to the steel rotor setup, yes the rotors were heavier, but I really couldn't feel the unsprung weight difference on the track. However the difference in a more aggressive pad and the difference in brake modulation decreased my lap times significantly... I run a transponder in my car and log it.

When you are racing Cup Cars, you probably care very little about the cost of consumables and will spend what it takes to win. I am sure they run a much more aggressive pad, but again they do what it takes to win.

I think your addition of lighter wheels is a good one. I am amazed at how heavy the stock GT3 wheels are. I think I may get a good set of dedicated racing wheels and tires next season and use them at the track.

Happy Holidays,
Jim

Last edited by Jim Bacus; 12-15-2007 at 01:25 PM.