Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Transmission shroud pics/question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:54 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Transmission shroud pics/question

Hey guys, these are pics of the old and new transmission shroud from under the car. It looks like the original one has vents that are supposed to cool the transmission. But the replacement part is just a flat barrier. Can anyone tell me why the difference? My car was built 12/2000. Thx, Dave Edit--I meant to post this in the turbo forum, sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited by dtmarsh; 12-22-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 12-23-2007, 06:10 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Bump. C'mon you guys, somebody got to know something.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:37 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
hey david... I think the tiptronics don't have those vents... but you _should_ have the vents.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Alex, thanks.

I'm looking at the pic in the PET parts catalogue (illustration 801-70) and it does NOT show any vents. It's shown as part 996 504 129 01. Does anyone have a part number for item w/ the vents in my pics? Thx in advance.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:05 PM
WARDHOG is infamous around these parts
The older part looks like it was modded itself because you can tell where the vent holes are cut so that that the vents can come thru. Looks like the new one needs the same same thing.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:10 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dtmarsh
Alex, thanks.

I'm looking at the pic in the PET parts catalogue (illustration 801-70) and it does NOT show any vents. It's shown as part 996 504 129 01. Does anyone have a part number for item w/ the vents in my pics? Thx in advance.
hey david, not at work this week but give Mike@Carlsen a call as he'll have that info in front of him etc...

Old 12-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Wardhog,

Yes, it does look like it was modified, which was my initial opinion. I thought maybe someone just took the part for a tiptronic and fitted it to work for a 6speed. I thought there would be a OEM factory part that would be sold w/ the vents.

Alex, I'll call Mike at Carlsen and figure it out, thanks.

This reminds me of the fiasco of replacing the black plastic grill vents in my front facia after I hit a coyote. The dealer part catalogue had the original part number, but as many know, turbos initially came standard w/ front bumperettes and these original vents had a fugly cutout to accommodate them. Evidentally the factory didn't, and still hasn't updated dealers' catalogues to show a different part number for 99% of the us who have the "bumperette delete" option. After 3 tries, we finally got the right ones and by then the body shop, the dealer and myself ready to kill each other;-)

Last edited by dtmarsh; 12-23-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Not complete
Old 12-23-2007, 10:26 PM
lol don't worry david, mike knows his stuff!