Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Mb 55amg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
Mb 55amg

Getting more difficult to drive my GT3 because of partial paralysis of my clutch leg.. I saw a 2004 AMG 55 (auto trans) that is absolutely beautiful. I might talk to the Porsche/MB store tuesday and see what kind of deal they can come up with.

What say you all. I know they are entirely different cars and I've never tracked my 8200 mile GT3.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor K; 01-05-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear about your leg Doc.

The 55s are great motors, and mod friendly (if that is what you are looking to do). Which 55 are you looking at?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
Jimbo,
Although they have 3 AMGs the one that I like (love at first sight) was the SL55 AMG with 493 HP, silver in color, like new inside. Its the coupe/convert with the long nose.
Thanks for inquiring.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor K; 01-05-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Jimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud ofJimbo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Doctor K
Jimbo,
Although they have 3 AMGs the one that I like (love at first sight) was the SL55 AMG with 493 HP, silver in color, like new inside.
Thanks for inquiring.

Doc

What year is the SL?

Silver is definitely a great color. If you wouldn't mind, feel free to PM me the VIN, on Monday, I can run the history to see if there was anything extensive done to the vehicle.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:45 PM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
That is a great car. While certainly heavier and not tossable like the Porsche the power is addictive.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Wayward is infamous around these parts
Doc, nothing against AMGs per se, but have you test driven a BMW M6 with SMG? Given your present situation (I hesitate to say "predicament"), you might be pleasantly impressed. I was, at any rate (esp for a DD). In northern climes, snow tires transform this beast into a very driveable DD. Plus (and this applies year-round), the S85 V10 lives to rev (8200 redline), which IMO is a near priceless commodity.

Certainly an entirely different experience from the high-torque MB's (which is why I drive an M6 -- and yes, I do speak from experience and have had more than my share of both marques). In any event, best of luck.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Wayward; 01-05-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:19 PM
doccao is infamous around these parts
SL55 AMG is a perfect compliment to any garage. Make sure you get the extended warranty.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Hey Wayward Ranger here, on your comments about the M6 I say, +1000.
You know I have the M5 and the thrill of the high revving V10 is a blast.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
The SL55 is a gorgeous car and offer plenty of power.
And of course there's always the SL63.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
add a kleeman stage II for $7500 and let the party begin.....

Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 PM
clt8981 is infamous around these parts
friend owned a clk55 amg..great car.. cant go wrong with a amg benz.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Wayward is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
Hey Wayward Ranger here, on your comments about the M6 I say, +1000.
You know I have the M5 and the thrill of the high revving V10 is a blast.
Hi Juan, (and everyone),

I know from your posts that your modded M5 is a proverbial rocket.

Personally speaking (and in the hope that this perspective is of benefit to at least the OP), I can't fully express the extent to which I am impressed with BMW's V10. Every time I step out of the car, I breathe in deeply with that "wow" feeling (similar to the GT3, but in a DD context). There's nothing like living in the high-rpm band for true car control (I'd guess you'd agree). And the package isn't all bad either, lol. The downside of the M5/M6 is range though, the fuel tanks are simply too small.

I do appreciate AMG Benzes, but they've always imparted something of an "appliance-like" experience, that's to say "driver is optional" (ouch, sorry). Also of note is that the M's are high speed rockets, exhilirating from say, 60 to 200 mph -- read: scary fast.

Just my .02 of course (and no offense to MB fans or those of high twist engines). There's definitely a parallel (in terms of BMW M vs. AMG) to the hammer vs. scalpel metaphor so commonly referred to with regard to Porsches vs. Vipers, Vettes, etc. In the end, it really does amount to personal preference.

Doc, as the OP, this is humbly offered as food for thought, perhaps a few test drives are in order. Again, good luck.

Last edited by Wayward; 01-06-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
I second the M6 w/SMG. The SL55 is a real nice car, but I think it's gonna be a somewhat similar driving experience to your AT Corvette. Whereas, the M6 is a much more unique drive.. exotic V10 sounds and a different shift feel (it really does feel like a manual gear change that's happening itself, and much more interesting than an auto trans gear shift). Plus, it's a real quick car, too.

Beautiful interior, impressive fit and finish, nice ride, etc. Not to mention, there a lot fewer 6 Series in general than SLs.

Last edited by Rob; 01-06-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:53 AM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
I had an '03 SL55 and the '04 GT3 at the same time. The SL55 was a great cruiser. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the power was impressive, the fit and finish superb, and very comfortable. I found that I didn't have the time to enjoy both cars, and since I enjoy the track, which would go was not in question.

However, if I had kept the SL55, I would not have been disappointed. I'm now considering getting an E55 with that sc motor.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
shellx is infamous around these parts
If you get a 55, definitely get an extended warranty. No so many issues from the 55 motor itself (outside of intercooler pumps), but the electronics can go really screwy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mb 55amg