Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why Is the Nissan GTR faster on track than a GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ztnedman1
The test I have seen Porsche has been disadvantaged with tires. One of them said he could be quicker with more time and more heat in the tires. So tires + track time porsche probably quicker, maybe not.

Could be the GT-R is just that good. It was tough getting used the Z06 and it may be the same with the nissan. But super advanced AWD will make the car easier to go fast in with less experience and time.

Porsche has lost its dominace and is now knee deep in competition, and in some aspects it looks like it maybe drowning. Racing series still prove Porsche is the bar setter but they are still tricky to be quick in. With the new cars they are making it very easy for lesser drivers to compete with better ones.

Kudos to nissan. In a street car not always the better/quicker car wins, its the one that can be used to more of its potential, and it looks like the nissan lets you use all of it quite easily.

Does anyone know if Nissan is still planning to build the track oriented V-spec version still? And does anyone know if they are going to make the GT-R available with a manual still? With a manual I would be very interested.

Pretty much how I feel.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:31 PM
'ringmeister is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fcar348
no doubt the R is an awesome car but i am skeptical of pre release cars given by manufacturers for these comparisons. i bet the boost is turned up and other assorted tricks that will not be available on the customer cars.

toyota did this with the last tt supra that was supposed to have 320 hp and the mags tested pre production ones with closer to 400 hp that blew away the competition. customer cars were not nearly as fast.

i will wait to see what a usa customer's R can do against a tt
Actually one of the cars (i think by car in their 997tt comparo at rockingham)tested was a JDM-spec car imported from japan by a private individual. it was regular production car bought from a dealer, not supplied by nissan.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
If you're that worried about a Nissan GTR, just buy a GT2. Problem solved.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:47 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
THe word I hear about the europe tests unlike mr berrys proclamation is that Nissan cheated with tires and on the Ring test it wasnt close to a production car. Now where have we heard about companies cheating before to get that all important ring time?
You want to buy a maxima go ahead. GAWD knows it will last longer than a 430.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:19 PM
unique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud of
must not let emotions get to me

I HATE THAT F'ING NISSSAN

Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
Maxima interior, AWD, slushbox, 4000 lbs, spaceship exterior....I can't think of a worse combination for a performance car. You couldn't pay me to drive that thing.

If anyone is even contemplating buying a Nissan, save yourself 50K and buy Nissan's true enthusiast car...the 350Z. Same interior, but RWD and 6 spd manual.

The GT-R will have the same fate as the RS4....it will get exposed when pushed to the limit, and people will become bored with it because it won't be fun to drive. Nothing more than an engineering exercise...the car sorely lacks soul in my opinion.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Banned
EEGPorches is infamous around these parts
wow!!! the GTR is very tempting!
but i will still buy a GT3 or GT3RS becasue its a porches!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:19 PM
czechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Hamann7
If you're that worried about a Nissan GTR, just buy a GT2. Problem solved.
+1

Obviously the GTR is a great car, but no matter how great / fast it is I'd still take GT3 over it any day.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:23 PM
SWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud ofSWATDoc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mvez
Maxima interior, AWD, slushbox, 4000 lbs, spaceship exterior....I can't think of a worse combination for a performance car. You couldn't pay me to drive that thing.

If anyone is even contemplating buying a Nissan, save yourself 50K and buy Nissan's true enthusiast car...the 350Z. Same interior, but RWD and 6 spd manual.

The GT-R will have the same fate as the RS4....it will get exposed when pushed to the limit, and people will become bored with it because it won't be fun to drive. Nothing more than an engineering exercise...the car sorely lacks soul in my opinion.
Pretty much how I feel.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I hate to say it, but the 911 design is getting pretty close to being maxed out performance wise. They may need to pass the torch to the Cayman, and make the ultimate sports-car with more money? Electronics will help the car, but the rear engine design may be hurting it?

By the way, I would NEVER buy a GTR. The thing is hideous.

John

Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
the GT-r Brakes will roast on a track in an evironment like a Lemans race.
the brakes cant keep up trying to slow down 4000lbs lap after lap.
it wont hold up and one guy on Rennlist just saw the car in Geneva. Said it looks like the car of tomorrow on the NASCAR trail its so big.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:11 AM
EXPLICIT is infamous around these parts
Gents i can assure you the GTR is as good as the hype that surrounds. Dont sell yourself short on the assumption its a cheap *** Jap car. It is a true 'affordable' supercar (without the badge) and does decimate on the track. Im involved (indirectly) with two here in Australia at the moment, both currently being exploited in factory trim before mild modifications & upgraded rubber is added. It is an amazing car and once you DRIVE one and experience it, you'll be hard pressed to fault it. Sure looks may not be to taste, and it does exude a typical luxury japanese finish. I'm a porsche fan through and through but the GTR is an extremely impressive step up for nissan. It handles 1770kg with consumate ease might I add. One example here has run a string of 11.6's at our local drag strip. Launch control makes it that much easier as well. I'll see if i can find the vid footage.

Last edited by EXPLICIT; 03-17-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 AM
EXPLICIT is infamous around these parts
Found a run. It hits 180 speed cut shy of the timing beam.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-9v8Zl1FMo[/media]

Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
Is the 180km/hr speed limiter defeatable? Otherwise it would make for a very boring car..

Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Jake Ok is a jewel in the roughJake Ok is a jewel in the roughJake Ok is a jewel in the rough
To answer a few of the posts….

All I have to say after posting 2 subjects on the Nissan GTR on the Rennlist forum is that the response over here is more civilized. As I have said before, I love my P car it has the total package that I want. But that having said, more members on this forum tend to agree that the GTR is a fabulous car filled will technology that soon many cars will follow...maybe even Porsche. So don't hate...relate & respect... looks aside (subjective) the GTR is currently the best super car bang for your buck.

How may of you communicate using email...anyone still writing letters and putting them in the mailbox. The 3 pillars - passion, tradition & heritage that Porsche has built their great car company on will soon have to rethink and strategize in order to compete. The good old days of letter writing will soon be forgotten and emails will be the benchmark.

I got in **** for using the “Jap” word over at Rennlist..LOL. It wasn’t meant to be disrespectful but just an abbreviation. (So take it easy Ben)

And yes, Nissan is building a GTR GT car for racing and it looks even bigger but badder.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why Is the Nissan GTR faster on track than a GT3