Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 GT3 gone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
Nice choice! I saw your new ride at FOW a few weeks ago. She's a beut! Enjoy it. How was your experience with FOW by the way? People seem to have differing opinions about doing business with them.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:48 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
Nice choice. The only other car I would consider. Drive it like you stole it. Congrats.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:15 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Lovely! Congrats.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:09 PM
amslb182 is infamous around these parts
nice 430, very interesting interior specs.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 PM
JT3
JT3 is infamous around these partsJT3 is infamous around these parts
Nice upgrade, did you purchase from FOW?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:07 AM
fasthound is infamous around these parts
Sorry for the delayed response....I've been spending my free time in the F430....love this car!

I did buy the car from FoW. 2nd car I've bought from them (previously bought a pre-owned F355 coupe). Ralph Cestero is a really great guy. Laid back, no pressure, a real gentleman. Mary, who handles all the paperwork, is also fantastic. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the service department. The car is under warranty for a few more months and after that if there are any problems I'll take it to an independent shop run by the previous chief mechanic at FoW and one of the best mechanics from FoW.

The car is fantastic. As I've said, the GT3 is an amazing car and very capable. That being said, the F430 stirs the soul where the GT3 was simply a very fast car. The 430 is much more comfortable on the street. The lowest suspension setting is much more comfortable than the normal setting on the GT3. And the stiffest setting seems to match the sort setting on the GT3. It's really hard to do a full comparison yet since I haven't had the 430 in the track yet. But overall, I just like it better. They are two very different cars. Both very good at what they are designed to do. But to me Porsches have always been very competent German cars, and Ferrari's are....well, Ferrari's. Italian with all the good and bad attributes that come with that.

I was always a confirmed 5/6 speed manual guy and swore I'd never own a paddle shifter car....but I'm a convert. It took me about two hours to get very comfortable with the sequential transmission on the 430, and I don't miss the 6-speed in the GT3 (quite frankly, I don't prefer the cable actuated shifters on the newer Porsches vs the old solid tube connections in the air-cooled cars).

I guess the best way to sum it up is that I liked the GT3, but I love the F430. I liked it better than the GT3 within the first 200 yards of road. As I've noted before, it's a very personal choice. For me, I prefer the F430....and I say that without taking anything away from the GT3.

The one thing I miss about the GT3 is the ceramic brakes. The GT3 is the BEST stopping vehicle I've ever driven....by a very large margin. The F430 has the standard steel rotors and they are not exactly what I'd call awe inspiring. I plan to upgrade to higher friction pads in the short term and eventually upgrade to either larger steel brakes or bite the bullet and go to the Ferrari ceramics ($$OUCH!!)

Hopefully I'll find time in the near term to get it on the track and let you know what I think after that.

Kevin

Old 04-04-2008, 07:53 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Sweet car Kevin, I would love to be in your shoes, dumping a GT3 for the 430 is something I don't see myself getting the chance to do. Saying that I will enjoy my C2S and continue to dream. I am glad to hear that the car will be driven, it is sad when they don't get used.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 AM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
great writeup. thanks and enjoy. maybe we'll see you out at one of the fchat events.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:38 AM
HB.
HB. is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fasthound
Lots of interesting comments....thanks. When I bought my 1996 F355 in 2004, it had 8500 miles on it. In the two years I owned it, I doubled those mile including lots of track days.

I don't buy cars to look at.....I buy them to drive. Why else have them?

I pick up the car today. Can't wait. It's raining today. Oh my GOD...a Ferrari will get WET? Oh NO! Yeah, well, it's mostly aluminum so rust isn't going to be an issue, and last time I checked, the car DID have operational wipers, so it's just going to get wet. Hell, it will be sitting outside most of the time anyway.

It's a car, it won't melt, and I plan to drive it as often as I can....in everything but snow, although I'll try it in the snow at least once just to see how it does.

If all you want to do is look at them, isn't it cheaper to just stop by the dealer once a week and look in the showroom window?

None of my cars have ever been garage queens, and I sure don't plan to change that now.

You know what, life is just to f@#$*ing short to not drive cars. And everyone has their own opinion of what is a nice car to drive and which car brand is better, etc. OK, that's fine, but as long as the person who owns the car enjoys it, then who am I to judge them?

The GT3 is an amazing car...just wasn't the right one for me. Maybe the F430 won't be either, but I'm sure gonna have some fun finding out!

Kevin
You are the man!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:39 AM
dhc
dhc is infamous around these parts
Excellent Choice...why not a Lambo? LOL

Old 04-04-2008, 09:40 AM
eight0zero is infamous around these parts
Completely different breed

Old 04-04-2008, 09:41 AM
dhc
Originally Posted by eight0zero
Completely different breed
Was a joke

Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 AM
eight0zero is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dhc
Was a joke
that wasnt in response to your post dhc...

its okay. I accept your apology

Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 AM
dhc
Originally Posted by eight0zero
that wasnt in response to your post dhc...

its okay. I accept your apology
Lol my bad hahah

Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 AM
mister_jkd is infamous around these parts
Nice upgrade Kevin. Italians are lusty!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 gone