Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 GT3 gone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 AM
911rox is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fasthound
Lots of interesting comments....thanks. When I bought my 1996 F355 in 2004, it had 8500 miles on it. In the two years I owned it, I doubled those mile including lots of track days.

I don't buy cars to look at.....I buy them to drive. Why else have them?

I pick up the car today. Can't wait. It's raining today. Oh my GOD...a Ferrari will get WET? Oh NO! Yeah, well, it's mostly aluminum so rust isn't going to be an issue, and last time I checked, the car DID have operational wipers, so it's just going to get wet. Hell, it will be sitting outside most of the time anyway.

It's a car, it won't melt, and I plan to drive it as often as I can....in everything but snow, although I'll try it in the snow at least once just to see how it does.

If all you want to do is look at them, isn't it cheaper to just stop by the dealer once a week and look in the showroom window?

None of my cars have ever been garage queens, and I sure don't plan to change that now.

You know what, life is just to f@#$*ing short to not drive cars. And everyone has their own opinion of what is a nice car to drive and which car brand is better, etc. OK, that's fine, but as long as the person who owns the car enjoys it, then who am I to judge them?

The GT3 is an amazing car...just wasn't the right one for me. Maybe the F430 won't be either, but I'm sure gonna have some fun finding out!

Kevin
Really nice car Kevin, Congrats...

If you don't mind me asking, you mentioned that the GT3 wasn't the right one for you... I was wondering if you could elaborate on your experiences/ view on the car.. How did you find it? What about the Gt3 didn't do it for you? Issues?

Old 04-07-2008, 12:18 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
Lots of interesting comments....thanks. When I bought my 1996 F355 in 2004, it had 8500 miles on it. In the two years I owned it, I doubled those mile including lots of track days.

I don't buy cars to look at.....I buy them to drive. Why else have them?

I pick up the car today. Can't wait. It's raining today. Oh my GOD...a Ferrari will get WET? Oh NO! Yeah, well, it's mostly aluminum so rust isn't going to be an issue, and last time I checked, the car DID have operational wipers, so it's just going to get wet. Hell, it will be sitting outside most of the time anyway.

It's a car, it won't melt, and I plan to drive it as often as I can....in everything but snow, although I'll try it in the snow at least once just to see how it does.

If all you want to do is look at them, isn't it cheaper to just stop by the dealer once a week and look in the showroom window?

None of my cars have ever been garage queens, and I sure don't plan to change that now.

You know what, life is just to f@#$*ing short to not drive cars. And everyone has their own opinion of what is a nice car to drive and which car brand is better, etc. OK, that's fine, but as long as the person who owns the car enjoys it, then who am I to judge them?

The GT3 is an amazing car...just wasn't the right one for me. Maybe the F430 won't be either, but I'm sure gonna have some fun finding out!

Kevin
Love the mentality! cars are made to be driven and not meant to be garage queens. I had a guy come up to me in a parking lot last season to me and ask me why the GT3 was out in the rain and why I had so many rock chips on the front bumper....I told him cause it was a car and not a museum piece. Enjoy the F430!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:38 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
best of luck...looks good

Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 PM
E-Man is infamous around these parts
After 8 months, I traded her in on:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3zq3r/index.htm

Kevin

Beautiful car! Congrats!

I also stepped up and bought an '05 F430 coupe(F1) about three months ago. I don't know how much seat time you've had in yours..I've managed to put around 600 miles on mine here in the Very rainy northwest. But now that you've had yours for awhile maybe you can help me out. I'm actually thinking about trading mine in for a GT3 or RS, here's why: When I first starting driving the Ferrari it was an unbeleivable rush! (My first Ferrari)The car has such a presence, It sounds out of this world (when your foot's heavy into it) and it is so CAPABLE that its really difficult to even approach the cars limits on public roads(twisy back roads of course). On the other hand, I have a 997S with ceramic brakes. Sure I've owned this car much longer, having logged over 8,000 miles on it. Yes the brakes inspire more confidence than the steel brakes on the Ferrari, good point, but the steel brakes aren't a deal breaker for me. What I like about the 997S is, and it's difficult to describe but, I just feel more 'connected' to the car. And I'm talking about driving the car at high speeds through twisty back roads, heel-toe shifting, really pushing the car. No it isn't as fast as the 430 but at the speeds these cars travel what difference is 10 or 15 mph or whatever. What I judge a car by is how it makes me feel and how it communicates with me, and this is why I'm considering a GT3...Hoping that I can get even more of that 'connected' feeling I get from the 997S. Possibly I just haven't spent enough time getting to know the 430, and once I have a better feel for the car this will all change. So now that you've owned your Ferrari for a while I'm hoping you can elaborate some more on the differences between it and the GT3. By the way, I don't plan on tracking the car, mostly because we really don't have a descent track anywhere around here, so I'm not looking for a comparison of these two from a track perspective.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:02 PM
fcracer is infamous around these partsfcracer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E-Man
By the way, I don't plan on tracking the car, mostly because we really don't have a descent track anywhere around here, so I'm not looking for a comparison of these two from a track perspective.
You have two great tracks nearby, Pacific Raceways and Portland International Raceway. Pacific Raceways, formally known as SIR is a pretty world-class track; turn 1 certainly gets your heart racing!!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by E-Man
Beautiful car! Congrats!

I also stepped up and bought an '05 F430 coupe(F1) about three months ago. I don't know how much seat time you've had in yours..I've managed to put around 600 miles on mine here in the Very rainy northwest. But now that you've had yours for awhile maybe you can help me out. I'm actually thinking about trading mine in for a GT3 or RS, here's why: When I first starting driving the Ferrari it was an unbeleivable rush! (My first Ferrari)The car has such a presence, It sounds out of this world (when your foot's heavy into it) and it is so CAPABLE that its really difficult to even approach the cars limits on public roads(twisy back roads of course). On the other hand, I have a 997S with ceramic brakes. Sure I've owned this car much longer, having logged over 8,000 miles on it. Yes the brakes inspire more confidence than the steel brakes on the Ferrari, good point, but the steel brakes aren't a deal breaker for me. What I like about the 997S is, and it's difficult to describe but, I just feel more 'connected' to the car. And I'm talking about driving the car at high speeds through twisty back roads, heel-toe shifting, really pushing the car. No it isn't as fast as the 430 but at the speeds these cars travel what difference is 10 or 15 mph or whatever. What I judge a car by is how it makes me feel and how it communicates with me, and this is why I'm considering a GT3...Hoping that I can get even more of that 'connected' feeling I get from the 997S. Possibly I just haven't spent enough time getting to know the 430, and once I have a better feel for the car this will all change. So now that you've owned your Ferrari for a while I'm hoping you can elaborate some more on the differences between it and the GT3. By the way, I don't plan on tracking the car, mostly because we really don't have a descent track anywhere around here, so I'm not looking for a comparison of these two from a track perspective.
What you're describng is the very reason why I traded my 7GT3 to Challenge Stradale and not the F430. The connected feeling is very much alive in the CS as in the GT3. The GT3 is much more tossable but the CS is more stable at speed and cornerings. The two cars really implement one another well and would be ideal to own both.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:28 PM
jay_ftw is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vincentdds
What you're describng is the very reason why I traded my 7GT3 to Challenge Stradale and not the F430. The connected feeling is very much alive in the CS as in the GT3. The GT3 is much more tossable but the CS is more stable at speed and cornerings. The two cars really implement one another well and would be ideal to own both.
Thats what I was going to suggest...trade the 430 for a Challenge Stradale if you're not feeling connected enough

Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
I think the whole F430 not giving the connected feeling versus the Stradale is a placebo effect. I just happen to find the Stradale very appealing in terms of appearance, frankly I do not think that the Challenge Stradale can be any more pleasant in terms of driving experience, but I could be wrong. I figured the F430's 490 hp was enough to knock anyones socks off.

Last edited by kaz555; 04-07-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:51 AM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Jeez, awfully tough crowd. While I'm not a Ferrari guy myself, I can appreciate any car enthusiast who switches to something that suits him more. Nice car, enjoy it.

You coulda done a lot worst, at least you didn't go put a deposit down on a GT-R

Old 04-08-2008, 07:05 AM
911rox is infamous around these parts

Kevin
Got your PM Kevin and I appreciate it heaps! Tried to PM back but apparently I don't have enough posts to allow this... Will PM you as soon as I get to 15 posts...sorry

Regards

Chris

Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
E-Man is infamous around these parts

Kevin
Kevin,

Your pm is much appreciated.
I'm curious to hear what you think of the 430 once you get it on the track.

Regards

Old 04-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Steve Germany is infamous around these parts
Nice choice! Sad to lose the 3 though. I have a feeling that you might regret.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 AM
PorscheGuy949 is infamous around these parts
the f430 is fun..but the GT3 RS is my pick