Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997GT2 versus Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
j.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of light
although i was expecting the GT2 to beat the Z06, but by that much? i think the guy driving the Z06 wasn't driving it properly. maybe i'm retarded, or just too young to know anything but it seems to me that in my friend's father's Z06 you are able to shift much more quickly with out grinding any metal haha.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:57 PM
j.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Rob
I think Chevrolet lists the Z06's 0 - 100mph time at 7.8 seconds. I remember a couple of tests had it in the upper sevens, but most in the low to mid eights. Ten seconds to 100mph is way off spec.

I had a Z06 and it never grinded going into second gear, quick shift or not, nor do I remember anyone on corvetteforum ever complain of grinding in any gear.

That Z06 had the leather interior option, so it must be a somewhat fresh '08, but with that kind of performance it must be a Friday afternoon car or something. What did they put in it.. regular gas?

It's funny, all the Euro testers make fun of the Z06's leaf springs, but IMO the car looks very controlled in the turns. Exclusive of the power induced oversteer, the car doesn't bounce, roll or dive when pushed. When Top Gear ran the Z06 around their track it looked great, very controlled, and not one of them said a word about it.. they only downed the car's usefulness. I've seen plenty of Euro cars go around that track that didn't look anyway near as poised as the Z06.

Just saying.. right is right.
i completely agree.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Well regardless of 1/4 mile outcome... we do know that the GT2 is anywhere from 11 to 18 seconds faster on the Nurburgring Nordschliefe than the almighty Z06.

So, it must be those f*cking leaf springs after all.

It's gonna take the ZR1 to challenge the GT2. And even then, we'll see how well the chassis will cope with all that power. I doubt it will beat the GT2's time around the Ring.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:26 PM
that would be very interesting to watch!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Download this video of my 05 Turbo S Cab, a 2008 LP640 Coupe and 2007 Gallardo.
Right click on the link and download to your desktop to view. It is 6 megs.

www.911turboregistry.com/tts_lp640_gal.swf

Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ty328
I am not sure about that guy, know what they are talking about "GT2 is the most expensive Porsche ever build"? Ahh! What about CGT?
He actually says "most expensive 911 ever built".

Old 03-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
Anyone who has ever seen one of my posts knows that I stand firmly in the GT2's corner...but a win by this much? I'm guessing a slight sandbag from the ZO6 driver, or it's still too fresh of an engine & needs a few thousand more miles on it before it is properly broken in.

I would have killed to see them compare the two in the cornering department!

C'mon Autocar, let's see the same test with the additions of the 430 Scuderia, ooohhh and how 'bout that new LP560-4, and the wait for it-wait for it-ahh nevermind...don't want to get the fanbois all in a tizzy...

Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by robertp
I only have a Revo flash and I run VP MS 109 (520HP max).

Three is the Z06 vetts were from HB. Since I was born and raised in HB/NB I make it a point to drive around PCH.

I too do not know why...
Have you been able to run another 60 - 130 time on a fairly flat road? They have you on the 60 - 130 board as running a 10.13 with 2 shifts.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 03-26-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 PM
08Z06 is infamous around these parts
I agree that there had to be something wrong with that Z, it didn't sound right to me and who knows where he was shifting.. not to mention that my wife shifts better than that guy. Pathetic driving. He can't even pronouce "Z06" correctly, lol.

I also think that he may have not let the Z06 warm up to temp, it's a well documented fact that the tranny is notchy and doesn't shift well between 1-2 and 2-3 WHEN COLD. 5 Minutes of warm-up and it's good to go....

I'm also amazed that with Traction Control off and an agressive launch on the Z it doesn't appear to break traction off the line... impossible.

Also, with the price difference, shouldn't this test really be the ZR1 vs the 997TT?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:31 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Well they dont have a ZR-1 (who does) and the Z06 is, or was top dawg under 200k in the straight line, well until the 08 Viper.

The shifting in the Z was poor, no doubt though. many many people have gotten sub 4 seconds in the Z06 0-60 so 4.3 wont cut it.

The GT2 is faster without a doubt, but maybe a 2-3 cars in that race, not a bus+

Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
ivory8 is infamous around these parts
wow, the porsche...what a beautiful car

Old 03-27-2008, 06:05 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Have you been able to run another 60 - 130 time on a fairly flat road? They have you on the 60 - 130 board as running a 10.13 with 2 shifts.
No, my clutch was slipping at that time. I ran a 9.8 with my new clutch but it is still in the break-in period.

Last edited by robertp; 03-27-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Truth be told, the ZR1 is aimed more squarely at the 599 Fiorano than the GT2. It's not designed to be the track car the GT2 is.

With regards to the Z06 being slower at the ring, I'd have to say tires make or break a performance (I heard the 7:43 was on the stock runflats). Combine tire difference with Porsche's/Walter's extensive experience on the ring, and that advantage is worth multiple seconds on a timed run. Given closer set-ups and driver-to-car experience, I bet the gap would close a bit.

I'm not gonna argue the Z06 vs. GT2 battle.. the GT2 is the superior car. But, I feel all cars, when directly compared, should be given equal representation.

Last edited by Rob; 03-27-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:57 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Gt2 is FASTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Old 03-28-2008, 04:09 AM
Rec Racing has a spectacular aura aboutRec Racing has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down Not Buying It

As one who owns a ZO6 and Porsches, as well as driven modded 996 and 997 Turbos, that video is complete crap! No way that car walks the ZO6 like that, sorry, ZED Six.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997GT2 versus Z06