Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997GT2 versus Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 AM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rec Racing
As one who owns a ZO6 and Porsches, as well as driven modded 996 and 997 Turbos, that video is complete crap! No way that car walks the ZO6 like that, sorry, ZED Six.
I like it fact or fiction...it'll give you that leave me the hell alone factor from everyone and there brother who's always pulling up along side you wanting to race....while not owning a Z06 I suspect the car already is left alone because of it's prowess and now so will the 2 ....probably even by the Z06

Old 03-28-2008, 07:16 PM
08Z06 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rob
Truth be told, the ZR1 is aimed more squarely at the 599 Fiorano than the GT2. It's not designed to be the track car the GT2 is.

With regards to the Z06 being slower at the ring, I'd have to say tires make or break a performance (I heard the 7:43 was on the stock runflats). Combine tire difference with Porsche's/Walter's extensive experience on the ring, and that advantage is worth multiple seconds on a timed run. Given closer set-ups and driver-to-car experience, I bet the gap would close a bit.

I'm not gonna argue the Z06 vs. GT2 battle.. the GT2 is the superior car. But, I feel all cars, when directly compared, should be given equal representation.
The GT2 is superior in what respect? There are a lot of different things that each car is better at, but to say the GT2 is just plainly "superior" doesn't make sense to me. Not trying to defend the car I own, I think that both cars have certain positives and negatives and neither is superior.

I'm sure you've seen the latest Road and Track article with the Nissan V Z06 V 997TT, they rate the 997 last.. I wouldn't give any one car in the test the blanket "superior" ranking..

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...echDetails.pdf

Last edited by 08Z06; 03-28-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM
jtkkz is infamous around these parts
They should race the GT2 aginst the new ZR1 or the GTR Skyline, I would like to see that test, it should be good...

Old 03-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 08Z06
The GT2 is superior in what respect? There are a lot of different things that each car is better at, but to say the GT2 is just plainly "superior" doesn't make sense to me. Not trying to defend the car I own, I think that both cars have certain positives and negatives and neither is superior.

I'm sure you've seen the latest Road and Track article with the Nissan V Z06 V 997TT, they rate the 997 last.. I wouldn't give any one car in the test the blanket "superior" ranking..

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...echDetails.pdf
Let me try and make sense of it:

Superior.. traction, steering, gear ratios, chassis rigidity, suspension, brakes, seats, build quality, etc.

The GT2 will lap the circuit all day and not complain. I'd be worrying about the Z06's $2 valve springs dropping a valve.

I had a Z06. It's a great car, there's no denying that.

But.. all said and done, the GT2 is the faster car around the ring and a higher quality piece - period.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
LAZY TURBO is infamous around these parts
ill take a red GT2 please, thanks

Old 03-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
The GT2 should have been faster but not by that margin. Something was wrong. 0-100 in 10 seconds? An M3 can match that.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:56 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rob
Let me try and make sense of it:

Superior.. traction, steering, gear ratios, chassis rigidity, suspension, brakes, seats, build quality, etc.

The GT2 will lap the circuit all day and not complain. I'd be worrying about the Z06's $2 valve springs dropping a valve.

I had a Z06. It's a great car, there's no denying that.

But.. all said and done, the GT2 is the faster car around the ring and a higher quality piece - period.
+1 the GT2 IS A SUPERIOR CAR. PERIOD.

And should be for almost 3x the price

Old 03-29-2008, 11:59 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rob
Truth be told, the ZR1 is aimed more squarely at the 599 Fiorano than the GT2. It's not designed to be the track car the GT2 is.

With regards to the Z06 being slower at the ring, I'd have to say tires make or break a performance (I heard the 7:43 was on the stock runflats). Combine tire difference with Porsche's/Walter's extensive experience on the ring, and that advantage is worth multiple seconds on a timed run. Given closer set-ups and driver-to-car experience, I bet the gap would close a bit.

I'm not gonna argue the Z06 vs. GT2 battle.. the GT2 is the superior car. But, I feel all cars, when directly compared, should be given equal representation.
ZR1 aimed at a 599?

The car has the same interior as the base Z. Seats and all. That would be one of the worst attempts at an imitation Ferrari ever.

No doubt GM want the performance crown and the 599 isnt anywhere near the throne. The ZR1 is aimed at whoever is the fastest.

Last edited by heavychevy; 03-30-2008 at 12:12 AM.