Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997GT2 versus Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
dealmaker is infamous around these parts
997GT2 versus Z06

Can't wait to get mine....imagine what it will be like when the tuners get their hands on it?..

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...AR=231915&CT=V

Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Great Video!!!!!

I have been doing this to C6 Z06’s since I got my 05 TTS Cab (all 4000lbs with me and a ½ tank of gas). I usually have a 1 car length lead at the end of third.

The only problem I have with the video is that the Z06 driver does not seem to launch properly. And yes, even when the Z06 gets to launch first, it seems like they are not pushing the car from the get go. And never once did I see smoke coming from the Z06’s tires.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:53 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
robert, what's done to your cab to pull on a Z06 like that? I'd think atleast 600 hp

I'm amazed at how hard the GT2 launches....but it pulls on the vette A LOT harder then it should. The GT2 may be a VERY low 11 second car if some fool decides to 1/4 mile it!

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 03-26-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
ty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to behold
I love the video, watch it over & over again.
Let post this on the Z06 form?
I am not sure about that guy, know what they are talking about
"GT2 is the most expensive Porsche ever build"? Ahh! What about CGT?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Impressive video! That was pretty entertaining, but like RobertP (above post) mentioned, Chris Harris seemed to be sandbagging a bit and mis-shifted once in the z06.

The outcome was expected though since the GT2 comes in with 25 more hp and more torque! The car lengths it put on make it seem like the horsepower difference is quite a bit more, though.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:03 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spyder997s
The outcome was expected though since the GT2 comes in with 25 more hp and more torque! The car lengths it put on make it seem like the horsepower difference is quite a bit more, though.
ya, which is very crazy considering "most" Z06's are underrated and dynoing close to 530 crank. I bet the GT2 will be putting down close to 500 at the wheels.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:02 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
robert, what's done to your cab to pull on a Z06 like that? I'd think atleast 600 hp

I'm amazed at how hard the GT2 launches....but it pulls on the vette A LOT harder then it should. The GT2 may be a VERY low 11 second car if some fool decides to 1/4 mile it!
I only have a Revo flash and I run VP MS 109 (520HP max).

Three is the Z06 vetts were from HB. Since I was born and raised in HB/NB I make it a point to drive around PCH.

I too do not know why...

Old 03-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by spyder997s
Impressive video! That was pretty entertaining, but like RobertP (above post) mentioned, Chris Harris seemed to be sandbagging a bit and mis-shifted once in the z06.

I have yet to see a Z06 launch absent of some tire smoke. If he drove the Z06 a little better, it would have been a little closer, but I expect the GT2 to be 2 to 3 car lengths ahead at 100MPH not 20.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:11 PM
ya, which is very crazy considering "most" Z06's are underrated and dynoing close to 530 crank. I bet the GT2 will be putting down close to 500 at the wheels.
I have herd that they are closer to 550HP stock, and they just swithced the last two numbers around to 505HP.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by robertp
I only have a Revo flash and I run VP MS 109 (520HP max).

Three is the Z06 vetts were from HB. Since I was born and raised in HB/NB I make it a point to drive around PCH.

I too do not know why...

that's pretty impressive, because i've seen Z06's hang or slowly walk modded turbo's

Gotta love the empty streches between brookhurst and beach........had a nice run in with a C63 last night on the drive home

Old 03-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
I drive with Z06s all the time. The one in the video obviously had a problem, besides the grinding 1-2 shift and slow 2-3 shift. You can hear the engine. It just didn't sound strong. So far tests have show that the Z06 and new GT2 are only .1 seconds apart in the 1/4-mile. I guess we'll have to wait to learn more. We also don't know if the GT2 wasn't boosted a bit over stock.

The way the GT2 walked the Z06 in the video looked like a 100 HP difference.

Last edited by Bill S; 03-26-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
I think Chevrolet lists the Z06's 0 - 100mph time at 7.8 seconds. I remember a couple of tests had it in the upper sevens, but most in the low to mid eights. Ten seconds to 100mph is way off spec.

I had a Z06 and it never grinded going into second gear, quick shift or not, nor do I remember anyone on corvetteforum ever complain of grinding in any gear.

That Z06 had the leather interior option, so it must be a somewhat fresh '08, but with that kind of performance it must be a Friday afternoon car or something. What did they put in it.. regular gas?

It's funny, all the Euro testers make fun of the Z06's leaf springs, but IMO the car looks very controlled in the turns. Exclusive of the power induced oversteer, the car doesn't bounce, roll or dive when pushed. When Top Gear ran the Z06 around their track it looked great, very controlled, and not one of them said a word about it.. they only downed the car's usefulness. I've seen plenty of Euro cars go around that track that didn't look anyway near as poised as the Z06.

Just saying.. right is right.

Last edited by Rob; 03-26-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Bill S
I drive with Z06s all the time. The one in the video obviously had a problem, besides the grinding 1-2 shift and slow 2-3 shift. You can hear the engine. It just didn't sound strong. So far tests have show that the Z06 and new GT2 are only .1 seconds apart in the 1/4-mile. I guess we'll have to wait to learn more. We also don't know if the GT2 wasn't boosted a bit over stock.

The way the GT2 walked the Z06 in the video looked like a 100 HP difference.
Yes, the Z06 just did not sound right. Bogus video.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:49 PM
that's pretty impressive, because i've seen Z06's hang or slowly walk modded turbo's

Gotta love the empty streches between brookhurst and beach........had a nice run in with a C63 last night on the drive home
There are a few modded 997TT's on this board that I have pulled. They can ring-in if they want.

Yes, that stretch of HB is great, smoth and safe since no cross traffic will pull in front of you.

We have a few in Irvine that are a little better. Meet up with us this Saturday morning.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by robertp
There are a few modded 997TT's on this board that I have pulled. They can ring-in if they want.

Yes, that stretch of HB is great, smoth and safe since no cross traffic will pull in front of you.

We have a few in Irvine that are a little better. Meet up with us this Saturday morning.

yeap, I use to work over on Alton...plenty of nice spots to run out there....I may just have to show up and meet you guys this weekend

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997GT2 versus Z06