Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

CGT is the best all around car I own ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Banned
Maciej@RPM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tipo815
On the flip side - the F40 has some turbo lag which was prevalent in cars from that era. Some of you may have owned older 911 Turbos from the late 80s and you can remember the turbo lag and then sudden explosion of power (fun ... but a handful if you were trying to calculate your passing maneuver!) Anyway, imagine that explosion times two (or three). The F40 has some lag and then all hell breaks loose with wooshing noises from the blow off valve. It feels like you've been shot out of a cannon.
Time for a turbo upgrade

Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
I've been asked this question alot. The CGT feels faster because of the massive linear torque band. You stomp on the gas pedal and all hell breaks loose instantly. It's a race car for the street ... plain and simple.

On the flip side - the F40 has some turbo lag which was prevalent in cars from that era. Some of you may have owned older 911 Turbos from the late 80s and you can remember the turbo lag and then sudden explosion of power (fun ... but a handful if you were trying to calculate your passing maneuver!) Anyway, imagine that explosion times two (or three). The F40 has some lag and then all hell breaks loose with wooshing noises from the blow off valve. It feels like you've been shot out of a cannon.

I would say the two cars are close in acceleration but I'd have to give the nod to the CGT. By the time the turbos kick in the CGT would have pulled out quite a few car lengths (assuming your tires were warm and you weren't experiencing massive wheel spin!).
Thanks for that. I've driven with F40s on mountain roads and also found the F40 lag noticeable. Except for very long straights, the F40 turbo lag when on/off throttle in the curves really slowed it down.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
I did race a LP640 in my F40 from about 30 to 120 and LP was right next to me the whole time. Neither of us had a real advantage. Another factor might have been the E-gear versus manual trans factor which might have cost me a little time.
Then I could see how the CGT feels faster... it is. Car & Driver tested the LP640. Here's how it compares against the CGT:

0-100 MPH: 8.1 sec vs 6.8 sec in the CGT
1/4-mile: 11.8@126 vs 11.2@132 for the CGT

The LP640 is about the same as a Z06. In other words, I would guess the US F40 is about the same as a Z06. That seems about right from what I recall seeing in the old road tests.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Tipo815 is infamous around these partsTipo815 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iLLM3
I love all of you guy's, CS's, F40's, CGT's, GT3/RS's, Ricky with his GT2 mmmmm... My ideal garages and car choices as well, some day

Tipo thanks for the writeup!
You're welcome. Glad some people are enjoying it!

Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
I was thinking the same thing as I scanned through the car lists. Awe-inspiring to say the least.

Tipo, your descriptions are great and perfectly detailed.
Thanks. I'm sure the few of us who are fortunate enough to own these cars enjoy sharing our insights into them as much as we can.

Originally Posted by dealmaker
Tipo,

You are right - lamborghini's are just "special" - i have always loved them and always will - it's always only ever been about Porsche's and Lamborghini's for me - since I was 6 years old! Ferrari's were what the "other" kids liked - the one's I liked to convince myself who didnt really know much about cars - just thought they did! Whereas only TRUE afficionados knew about Lamborghini's!!

I'm on my 4th Lamborghini (Two Diablo SV's - one Diablo SE30 and one Murcie) - and my current Murcie isn't going anywhere - albeit I do have a Murcie SL/SV on order and a 2010 Murcie "repalcement" as well.

The CGT is very different to the Murcie - and I cant see my self replacing it...........ever!

Attachment 65718
Are you bagging on Ferraris? LOL!

Originally Posted by minira
Man I wish one day I can talk about my garage like you guys can. I saw the episode on supercars exposed, loved the car! how were the lowriders in person?
Very impressive! The paintwork and attention to detail was incredible!

The guys were equally impressive. Very passionate about their cars - probably more so since they have alot of blood, sweat, tears, and money invested in their rides. In the end - we're all car guys and there was alot of mutual respect.

Originally Posted by th3Stig
Wow. Plain and simple... wow. For those who own the F40s and CGTs, get yourselves a great SUV... a G55, like another on the board. I don't mean to insult, but you seem to appreciate the truly incredible vehicles around and the Gwagens are awe-inspiring... at least in my opinion.

I haven't ever driven the likes of hyper-exotics, but I've driven nearly EVERYTHING else. As far as the SUVs go though, the Gwagens get as many looks as the supercars, and are about as fast. Plus, when you want to look like this fella' -> just step on the AMGs "go" pedal and its *****in'.
I've always had a love/hate relationship with that thing. Can't decide if I like it or don't like it ... ha ha. I love my RR Sport Supercharged. Of course I'm incapable of leaving well enough alone so I had to "do it up." It's my second RR Sport and so far nothing else attracts my attention.

Attached Images   
Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Tipo815 is infamous around these partsTipo815 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bill S
Then I could see how the CGT feels faster... it is. Car & Driver tested the LP640. Here's how it compares against the CGT:

0-100 MPH: 8.1 sec vs 6.8 sec in the CGT
1/4-mile: 11.8@126 vs 11.2@132 for the CGT

The LP640 is about the same as a Z06. In other words, I would guess the US F40 is about the same as a Z06. That seems about right from what I recall seeing in the old road tests.
Bill - Seems my "seat of the pants" analysis is backed up by hard data. Funny that you mention the new Z06. I did race a friend who just bought a new Z06 in my Murcie. It was very close. He was able to pull about a car length on me towards the top of 3rd gear. A newer LP640 - as you indicated - would have probably been an identical match to the Z06.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:36 PM
TTM0TION is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DM1
Tipo

I saw the show and enjoyed it very much. Nice to put a face with a name. I enjoyed my Murci Roadster very much but I let it go when I got the F40. When I get another Murci it will for sure be a coupe. I hated the top on the roadster.
Why is it that you guys didn't like the roadsters?? Was it just the cheesey top when you did need to put it on? I have always heard mixed reviews in the coupe or roadster debate.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:44 PM
gt2-josh is infamous around these partsgt2-josh is infamous around these parts
I agree with Jeffrey, Kuzi, DM18 et al and my F40 won't be here for another 2 weeks

Josh

1990 F40
2005 CGT
2007 QP

Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 PM
DM1
DM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond reputeDM1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTM0TION
Why is it that you guys didn't like the roadsters?? Was it just the cheesey top when you did need to put it on? I have always heard mixed reviews in the coupe or roadster debate.

If you know what you Are doing it will take you about 20 min to put the top on. How wet can you get in a rainstorm in 20 min? see my point.... If you want to drive your roadster you need to check the weather first and hope you don't need to put anything in the trunk. There is noooo room if the top is packed in there. Otherwise the car is AWSOME.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Kuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gt2-josh
I agree with Jeffrey, Kuzi, DM18 et al and my F40 won't be here for another 2 weeks

Josh

1990 F40
2005 CGT
2007 QP
A side note....Congrats on the acquisition of your new F40!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future

Josh

1990 F40
2005 CGT
2007 QP
wow. congrats josh! another worthy addition. ur on quite a roll.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbs993tt
While I don't have the diversity in my garage that most of you have, I must agree about the all around greatness of the CGT. You mention the comfort, style, presence and performance......don't forget the noise the thing makes. One of my favorite pasttimes is running it through the only tunnel we have here in Dallas. Simply an incredible piece of engineering!

BBS
I agree about the noise! The best seconds of television ever filmed was when JC took out the CGT on their testrack and accelerated with the camera right behind the car. ALL the hair on my body went straight up, and I was sitting in front of my computer! Can't imagine it in real life...

Old 04-05-2008, 07:44 AM
richkaltman has a spectacular aura aboutrichkaltman has a spectacular aura aboutrichkaltman has a spectacular aura about
The CGT has the best sound on stock car...I am regrettting the fact I sold mine!!! I will say this...the 599GTB is much more comfortable as a daily driver and just as fast!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:16 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future

Josh

1990 F40
2005 CGT
2007 QP
Dude, congrats!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:45 PM
cmcjo is infamous around these parts

Josh

1990 F40
2005 CGT
2007 QP
Congratulations Josh!
F40 is an unbelievable car to look at (and drive)
So I think that is now 3 people here with the CGT/F40 combo?

Old 04-05-2008, 03:05 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cmcjo
Congratulations Josh!
F40 is an unbelievable car to look at (and drive)
So I think that is now 3 people here with the CGT/F40 combo?
Joe when are you getting yours

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CGT is the best all around car I own ...