Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

creaking frominstrument panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
creaking frominstrument panel

Recently, I have been hearing a creaking noise coming from the instrument panel. I recently upgraded to the RS steering wheel, I would not think tht they have to remove the instrument panel to install the steering wheel.

Anyone else have this problem/fix?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Andrew D. is infamous around these parts
I have a creaking noise from the plastic instrument cluster (tach, speedo, gauges) that comes and goes. Occasionally annoying, but I'm living with it.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:33 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
I had issues with creaking and they take care of it under warranty no problem.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
was it making that noise before changing the steerging wheel? perhaps your airbag is not seated all the way?

Old 04-04-2008, 01:34 PM
fcracer is infamous around these partsfcracer is infamous around these parts
My GT3 had a "cracking" type of noise when going over expansion beams and sharp bumps on the road. It sounded like two edges of plastic touching each other, but more abrupt. The dealership opened the dash and put felt between the tach cluster and the "hood" above it. The noise is now gone. It's amazing how a single annoying noise can make a great car feel cheap.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:43 PM
LERA GT2 is infamous around these parts
I have one from the plastic grill that runs along the top of dashboard used to blow / direct air into the windshield. If I pull it, the noise shuts. I have another from the hinge of the right door "door storage pocket". If I leave it open, it will shut!!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Salvaged car, sell it to me

Seriously, dealer should do it under warranty

Old 04-04-2008, 04:28 PM
seefouress is infamous around these parts
I feel your pain. I have lots of interior noises, but thankfully they don't detract too much from my enjoyment of the car. In fact next week I'm installing the Sharkwerks exhaust bypass to hopefully reduce the resonance induced noises (and add some smile factor!).

The only substantial noise I have on the dash is a buzz/rattle from the Chrono Plus instrument. The "clock" is clearly loose in it's dash housing as I can shift it slightly with my hand. If anyone knows how to tighten it up please give me a shout.

Good luck with finding and killing your creak!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
Originally Posted by DrPeter
Recently, I have been hearing a creaking noise coming from the instrument panel. I recently upgraded to the RS steering wheel, I would not think tht they have to remove the instrument panel to install the steering wheel.

Anyone else have this problem/fix?

I have had very good success by using tiny amounts of WD-40 near the areas where the instrument cluster is touching or very close to the surrounding plastic piece. To find the right places push around with your fingers and see if you can reproduce the sound.

Good luck! I know the sounds can be very annoying - makes the car feel cheap.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:46 PM
DrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura aboutDrPeter has a spectacular aura about
Hmm, the noise started after the RS wheel change and I had a private garage do the swap (GMG) and I was worried the dealer would point fingers.....

Intuitively, I would not think it was related. It sounds like the instrument panel, not forward enough to be the airbag.

I guess I will take it in.