porsche response to gtr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GewoW
To tell you the truth, come to think of it now, I do believe that a plausible reason for fitting the GTRs with a DCT is because of the fact that they are rated at a certain amount of HP/TQ. Manual trannies can be altered as one wishes quite readily, but DCTs, to my knowledge, aren't as easy to change/strengthen. So, IMO, I think all the mod freaks that plan to rape the living hell out of their engine may end up with a transmission that fails. This also provides a great reason for Nissan to deny them service, even if they remove their mods before bringing it in, because something like that would never happen to the tranny in the normal-spec car. Smart!
Not too smart. The clutch is going to go before the transmission and I bet the clutches last longer than the one in a Gallardo E-gear.

Last edited by Z07; 04-06-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Z07
Banned
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
What almost half a century? Still the same idea is working? I really cannot think of a car that has changed so little over such a long course of time.
Look at North Korea. I can't think of a country that's changed so little in half a century.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 AM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
still no one to comment on what i said to start this thread...

all p needs to do is lower the turbo, firm up psam settings and use r rated tires. that will put turbo back on top.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:35 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
GT2. Period.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:48 AM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
not fair.

you cant say gt2 b/c it is a $200k limited production car and gtr is a $70k mass produce daily driver.

why not compare the gtr performance to the porsche that it most closely resembles in price - CAYMAN. now that would be a joke and i dont want to hear that gtr is like driving a 'video game' while cayman is like a fine wine. an original lotus elite probably has the most 'soul' but who wants to accept that as a modern performance car over the cayman?

and while im at it - why does p get away with still offering the ancient tiptronic instead of spending the nec $$ to develop the pdk?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:58 AM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 911rox
I don't think its appropriate to discredit a vehicle's performance based on its make/ manufacturer as seems to happen all too often with the GTR. For the past 5-6 years, Porsche have gloated on their sub 8 min laptimes of the nurburgring and all of a sudden when a 'Datsun' does better we knock it.

Frankly, Porsche are in the business of manufacturing some of the best performance cars in the world. And performance is basically determined by a combination of speed and handling. If a fat, heavy GTR can better the straight line and laptime figures (at most tracks tested to date) of Porsches twice its price (GT3 and turbo), we are being short changed somewhere along the line with speed or handling. We shouldn't have to spend three times (GT2) the price of a GTR to be competitive.

Lets not kid ourselves, Porsche are in the business of performance sports cars, NOT family cars and they charge enthusiasts big $$$ accordingly for the priviledge. Therefore if a fugly DATSUN can out do them, ain't it time the good folk at Porsche AG pulled their heads out of their backsides and ensured they put the effort into "remaining the benchmark" by which all others a judged? Its time for Porsche to answer the challenge and give their loyal customers what we deserve-the best barr non!

I have placed a deposit with my dealer for a 997 GT3 MkII and would like to think I will be receiving the best performance/part-time track car that money can buy, NOT A HAS BEEN! Especially considering I am paying almost twice the price of a fugly GTR. Otherwise maybe i'll buy the Datto and holiday for a year with the change!

For those individuals who believe that Porsche have no challenge to answer, all I can say is that the Porsche marketing /PR machine deserve every last cent they earn because they have succeeded in pulling the wool over our eyes nicely! Especially if the can convince us to spend that much money to be second best whilst saving their company million of dollars in car development. Porsche have spent 40+ years developing a loyal customer base by providing the BEST performance cars(arguably) at a reasonable price. I'd hate to put that loyalty to the test- with the exception of fanatics, most buy a performance car for just that, "PERFORMANCE"...

As the saying says" If you can't party with the big boys, don't show up!"
Great post! However, based on my readings of the various GT-R threads comparing it to the 997TT I doubt Porsche has anything to fear. Porschephiles are a very committed to the car regardless of its many deficiencies. The technological advancement of the 911 has been glacial. The styling remains what it was 40 years ago. Its only redeeming quality was its performance compared to the other very few cars in that market segment has always been superior.

But that foundation has been shaken to its core with the Corvette and GT-R. What many are forgetting is the GT-R price point is the same as the BASE 911! Owners of the 911 below the TT have to ask themselves what did I buy? Inferior performance, stale old styling described by one British magazine as a "retro joke" and technology from the 1960's.

The Porsche marketing department is the true hero of the company. Not the car. They have created a rabid enthusiast base which time and time again buy cars that look the same with incremental changes in the firm belief they are buying a totally new redesigned car. The market department should be awarded the NObel prize for flimflam.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Z07
Banned
Originally Posted by fcar348
still no one to comment on what i said to start this thread...

all p needs to do is lower the turbo, firm up psam settings and use r rated tires. that will put turbo back on top.
What Porsche need to do is forget about this Euro-tuning 500lbft below 2000rpm crap, fit some decent sized turbos, go to 3.8L, get their PDK fixed and go back to the 959 and start thinking about how they fixed something that wasn't broke.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Z07
Banned
Originally Posted by fcar348
not fair.

you cant say gt2 b/c it is a $200k limited production car and gtr is a $70k mass produce daily driver.

why not compare the gtr performance to the porsche that it most closely resembles in price - CAYMAN. now that would be a joke and i dont want to hear that gtr is like driving a 'video game' while cayman is like a fine wine. an original lotus elite probably has the most 'soul' but who wants to accept that as a modern performance car over the cayman?

and while im at it - why does p get away with still offering the ancient tiptronic instead of spending the nec $$ to develop the pdk?
While the Cayman may look like it was designed for hobbits, it actually represents a much better foundation than the 911 when it's not artificially crippled. Get a Neo-959 AWD on that and a 4.0 with IHI RHF55 turbos and you're rocking.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Rec Racing has a spectacular aura aboutRec Racing has a spectacular aura about
I'll Take The Cayman!

Given the choice I would take the Cayman every day of the week. Other than showing the rice rocket boys how cool your car is, then what? The Nissan is so friggin ugly you would have to sneak up on it to drive it!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
turbo S !

Old 04-06-2008, 11:45 AM
nberry you are right on target.

rec racing, while the gtr is no beauty, the cayman is equally ugly.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned
Zume_GTR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rec Racing
Given the choice I would take the Cayman every day of the week. Other than showing the rice rocket boys how cool your car is, then what? The Nissan is so friggin ugly you would have to sneak up on it to drive it!

This coming from a guy who actually confesses to owning a chevrolet SSR?? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Old 04-06-2008, 01:33 PM
GewoW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Z07
Not too smart. The clutch is going to go before the transmission and I bet the clutches last longer than the one in a Gallardo E-gear.
No actually, very smart...I do believe you still need to service your car when your clutch fails no?

Old 04-06-2008, 01:51 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Porsche is a hugely profitable company. They can't MAKE enough cars.

Why would they change their gameplan just because Datsun built a certain type of car that in the short term appears to be a good car.

If they built a new car everytime someone took a swing at them they would be chasing their tail.

I don't care how super duper the gt-r is it will never be a 911.

I think the politics of using a Nissan badge rather than an Infinity badge will hurt the car more than anything else.

I think the younger crowd will embrace the gt-r more than the older crowd.

tw

Old 04-06-2008, 03:11 PM
the reason p fans line up to pay 6 figures for them is the reputation. racing success is a big thing but street reputation is probably more important to their sales. the turbo was always the ultimate performer regardless of price. turbos were always faster than all the exotics from italy. mags used to vote the turbo the 'most outrageous car of the year', every year. none of this is even close to being true any more.

while all of the above might not hurt p for a few years, it most definitely will in the long run. theyre in same position ferrari was 15 yrs ago but ferrari was smart enough to see the writing on the wall (nsx). ferrari is now the leader in performance technology and bringing the race car to the street.

porsche better do the same. as soon as you think your business in invincible...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: porsche response to gtr