Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

porsche response to gtr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:07 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
porsche response to gtr

making the big assumption that the reported performance of the gtr is legitimate and not the result of a ringer car with double the boost that nissan would never warantee, then porsche needs to respond. the gt2 is the answer to the scuderia so it doesnt count.

porsche should offer the turbo in 2 versions - luxury and sport. the lux is basically the way it is now. the sport is lower with firmer psam settings, r compound tires, louder exhaust, etc. this is similar to what chrysler did with the viper acr but does not have to be so extensive as tt doesnt need weight loss, aero, brake upgrades, etc.

not fair if its sold as a turbo S for additional $25k though. 2 versions should be close in $

Last edited by fcar348; 04-04-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:09 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Well, imo, the turbo 'sport' is the GT2.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by fcar348
making the big assumption that the reported performance of the gtr is legitimate and not the result of a ringer car with double the boost that nissan would never warantee, then porsche needs to respond. the gt2 is the answer to the scuderia so it doesnt count.

porsche should offer the turbo in 2 versions - luxury and sport. the lux is basically the way it is now. the sport is lower with firmer psam settings, r compound tires, louder exhaust, etc. this is similar to what chrysler did with the viper acr but does not have to be so extensive as tt doesnt need weight loss, aero, brake upgrades, etc.

not fair if its sold as a turbo S for additional $25k though. 2 versions should be close in $
IT'S CALLED 997 GT2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:24 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
hey i got a sport version

Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 PM
GewoW is infamous around these parts
Sorry, but I don't believe that Porsche needs to compete with the GTR. The Nissan execs/engineers may have wanted to compare it...and good for them. This still doesn't mean it's a rival to the Porsche. A Porsche is a Porsche, and the GTR is in another class. One can very easily compare the Lotus Elise with an Audi R8, and I'm sure, given the right track, they can both run it in about the same time. They still aren't competitors.

Porsche has nothing to worry about, and the GTR will NOT have any effect on Turbo/GT3 sales.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:34 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by GewoW
Sorry, but I don't believe that Porsche needs to compete with the GTR. The Nissan execs/engineers may have wanted to compare it...and good for them. This still doesn't mean it's a rival to the Porsche. A Porsche is a Porsche, and the GTR is in another class. One can very easily compare the Lotus Elise with an Audi R8, and I'm sure, given the right track, they can both run it in about the same time. They still aren't competitors.

Porsche has nothing to worry about, and the GTR will NOT have any effect on Turbo/GT3 sales.
+1 A Porsche is a Porsche

Old 04-04-2008, 06:45 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
250k for a "Sport" version does not work.

tw

Old 04-04-2008, 07:09 PM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
I agree. Porsche engineers are not sitting around worrying about what Nissan is putting out. They are just two completely different markets. The nissan could do 0-100 in 3 seconds, and the 1/4 mile in 8, and most pcar guys still arent buying one.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:24 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Sorry, it's still a Datsun to me. I don't care how fast it is.
It's Godzirra ugly also. I can appreciate the technology though

tw

Old 04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
just wait for 998 turbo with direct injection and pdk and whatever else they come up with... bye bye stock GTR

I do not think the GTR will steal Porsche customers per se... sure a few.. but nothing noticable.

I think for the most part, enthusiast Porsche owners like a car that is challenging and rewarding to drive quickly and from what I have read, the GTR is very easy to drive with all of the electronic aids and auto trans and AWD and yaw sensors and play station designed this and electronic nanny that etc..

The GTR is without a doubt an amazing engineering accomplishment and will be gobbled up by the public for sure... I am hoping that the type of performance that it brings to the table for the amount of money it costs will keep a lid on Porsche pricing for a while... fat chance though...

Old 04-04-2008, 10:14 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
its not a question of loosing sales to nissan. its a question of reputation. if tiger woods played an exhibition against nicholas/palmer do you think he would want to loose? porsche cannot have its turbo 'loose' to a nissan.

it would be so easy to change some settings on the turbo and have it come on top. its ridiculous not to do it.

and the gt2 is a limited edition and not a mainstream model so it is not in this discussion

ps who will buy an m3 now?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:17 PM
dblock06 is infamous around these parts
by the way time the 998 comes out, vspec will be out ready to kill the competion again

Old 04-04-2008, 11:08 PM
SPEED RACER is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lardog
+1 A Porsche is a Porsche
True and a Ferrari is a Ferrari. Different leauge.

I own 2 porsches a 1987 slantnose cab 600hp protomotive stage 3 and a C4 3.8 twin turbo 993 GT2 look with GT35r turbos Motec etc. 900 plus hp.

As well as a Ferrari.

I just ordered a GTR Black /Black Premium package, just because I always wanted one.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 PM
GewoW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fcar348
its not a question of loosing sales to nissan. its a question of reputation. if tiger woods played an exhibition against nicholas/palmer do you think he would want to loose? porsche cannot have its turbo 'loose' to a nissan.

it would be so easy to change some settings on the turbo and have it come on top. its ridiculous not to do it.

and the gt2 is a limited edition and not a mainstream model so it is not in this discussion

ps who will buy an m3 now?
Not really sales, but it's partially it. It's the image, or as you said, reputation. Back to my original post: if you compare an Audi R8 to a Lotus Elise, you can get the better track times in a Lotus. Does this lessen Audi's image? No. Why? Different league. Same with Turbo/GT3 + GTR. Completely different buyers (albeit not as black and white as R8/Elise) and the original comparison was just sparked by Nissan execs/engineers, probably because it has ~~ hp + a Turbo V6. IMO the 2 cars are great, but shouldn't readily be compared.

*edit* As the poster above brought Ferrari into play, you can also compare a Turbo to a Ferrari F430. You can also say that the Turbo is an all around better car because it's faster and goes around a track better and may be easier to drive around town. Has this ANY effect at ALL on Ferrari's image? Have they been beat by Porsche? Not at all. 2 different cars, 2 completely different buyers. On top of that, to me, a Turbo/430 comparison is closer than a Turbo/GTR comparison...and you still can't compare them.

Last edited by GewoW; 04-04-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche and Ferrari don't need to compete with anyone else except themselves.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: porsche response to gtr