Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GTR v-Spec laps ring faster than CGT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:22 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
So in your opinion, because a Z06 laps better on a circuit, or will win a 1/4 mile, that makes it a "better" car than the Turbo? If that was the case, then every maker should just abandon everything but making the fastest 1/4 mile and lapping car for the least amount of money possible even if they lose money on it.

And essentially makes there no use for anyone to ever by the Turbo?

Buying a car is just like buying a house or any other large purchase, with a house you look at the size (4 or 2 seats), cost (price), yard space (cargo room), interior (same), location (service) and all the various other factors that make you pick one over the other.

For something north of 95% of people who own these cars, laps on a track or even the 1/4 mile are irrelevant because they'll neither do them, nor happen to race the other while doing them.

Point being the most important things in people buying cars is not magazine articles and lap times, it's how the car makes them feel, the perceived quality, reputation and the fact that it'll beat 99% of the cars on the road if they pulled up next to them on the highway.

So when arguing about things that are less pertinent it's only probable that the things that are more pertinent will come up.

I'm sure 997 TT owners are not so fickle as to buy the car with the fastest 1/4 mile, or lap time especially when the huge majority wont do either. So while you may get tired of it, it's the fact, ANY major car maker can make a car that's faster and sell it for less, can they make money on it? Maybe maybe not.

I am a track guy, buy even I am not so simple as to think of a car by it's 1/4 mile time by a magazine or a lap time. You have to look at things like the mod potential as most serious trackers are not stock, so since the GT-R can already put all of it's power to the ground, when the tires are equalized, a RWD car will get a bigger gain than AWD and the Z06 will leave it standing.

And it does actually take skill to pilot a GT3, it's based on a race car, and keeping it in the powerband is a challenge for anyone less than a very advanced driver, getting the most out of them is a real challenge, but very rewarding.

So maybe in a simple (magazine) world a car is defined by lap times and 1/4 miles times, but in the real world there is much more to it than that.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
In response to Lamar's post:

Actually, no. I can't wait until the day Geely, SAIC, Chery, or Changfeng begin making performance cars. Then, when their cheap Chinese hot rods begin to creap into GTR performance territory, I can only hope that those Fanboys will join (en mass) every Nissan GTR Forum on the internet and claim this...

YO BRO!!!! YOUR GTR JUST GOT FN PWNED DUDE!!! WHAT A PIECE OF S!!T YOU DRIVE HOMIE - TAKE IT HOME N PARK IT IN THE DOGHOUSE WHERE IT BELONGS!!! YOU PADE TOO MUCH FOR YOUR CAR SNOB.... GIVE US RESPECT! RESPECT OUR NEW 'GOD' BRO!!! SHOW US RSPEKT!!!!

Not attacking you Lamar, I'm just tired of the Nissan Fanboy "Respect us" mentality. The Nissan GTR is a great car, it's rabid "fanboys" are not.

Last edited by Zeus; 04-21-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:35 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
LOL......

True, and when they start getting the modded Evo's and Sti's beating them up on the track it will be similar. Not to mention every ricer on the street will be trying to race it, and the GT-R owners will be called snobs if they refuse. And the GT-R will become the snob of Japanese performance.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Man, Porsche is losing the horsepower war. MB AMG 670 hp; Viper 600 hp, Vette ZR1 620 hp, Mustang Supersnake 725 hp? WTF!!! The Gt2 should of been 600 hp minimum. Time to get a set of hybrids.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:23 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
1/4 mile in a Porsche is stupid. I could care less about a 1/4th mile.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:30 PM
+1 Porsche has never been the highest in HP and have been the fastest with the alloted power. Name a car with 415 hp that's not a kit car and is a major production car (meaning no nobles and such) that can keep up with a GT3..............

There have been mercedes with well over 600 hp for many years, there have been Vipers with 450 hp since the mid 90's, and 500 since 02'. The GT500 is irrelevant because it still couldnt beat a GT2 or Turbo, and the Super Snake is a modded car from the factory and has no warranty.

The only feasible arguement is that the 996 Turbo had more power and was more competition for the C5Z06 than the 997 TT is for the C6Z.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:05 PM
seanlee768 is infamous around these parts
world challenge cars

i just got back from LBGP. after seeing the WC cahllenge cars i have the new found respect for porsche. the little GT3 RSR with its 3.8 is up against viper, corvette and cadi and still able to hold its ground. imagine what porsche can do with a 7.0 motor. you should see the viper and the vette turn after turn trying to shake the porsche but lap after lap the porsceh gained on them. too bad the race was stopped when there were 3 laps left or else for sure the GT3 will pss the vette.

ps the stop the rate because 9ff crashed their 996 gt3

Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Man, Porsche is losing the horsepower war. MB AMG 670 hp; Viper 600 hp, Vette ZR1 620 hp, Mustang Supersnake 725 hp? WTF!!! The Gt2 should of been 600 hp minimum. Time to get a set of hybrids.
That's not what Porsche is about.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:18 AM
slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !slavik Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
+1 Porsche has never been the highest in HP and have been the fastest with the alloted power. Name a car with 415 hp that's not a kit car and is a major production car (meaning no nobles and such) that can keep up with a GT3..............

There have been mercedes with well over 600 hp for many years, there have been Vipers with 450 hp since the mid 90's, and 500 since 02'. The GT500 is irrelevant because it still couldnt beat a GT2 or Turbo, and the Super Snake is a modded car from the factory and has no warranty.

The only feasible arguement is that the 996 Turbo had more power and was more competition for the C5Z06 than the 997 TT is for the C6Z.
agreed +1....porsche was never about having the most horsepower....

Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
Buying a car is just like buying a house

Wrong! Houses aren’t supposed to move and you aren’t supposed to live in a car. The source of your confusion is now apparent. Thank you for clarifying this.

Name a car with 415 hp that's not a kit car and is a major production car (meaning no nobles and such) that can keep up with a GT3.

Is a GT3 a major production car? How many are made/sold vs number of Nobles or TVRs made/sold? I’ve seen more Noble GTO-3s and TVR Sagarises (Tuscans, Cerberas etc.) than GT3s.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
the amount of dispute over a couple of numbers is really phenomenal here...regardless of anything, what the GTR can do is pretty amazing given its price...that said, I dont care whats faster until I see the GTR enter and start winning in race series where the cars are a little more spec (though not much...haha). I dont hate either car and think nearly every car mentioned on this thread is pretty cool.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 PM
timeattack07gt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sechsgang
the amount of dispute over a couple of numbers is really phenomenal here...regardless of anything, what the GTR can do is pretty amazing given its price...that said, I dont care whats faster until I see the GTR enter and start winning in race series where the cars are a little more spec (though not much...haha). I dont hate either car and think nearly every car mentioned on this thread is pretty cool.
Agreed. It's nice to see a level headed automotive enthusiast amongst the crowd.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by timeattack07gt
Agreed. It's nice to see a level headed automotive enthusiast amongst the crowd.
thanks...I just find it amazing how many are so defensive about their cars. Most of the time, the operator can not even use 6/10ths of what a car has to offer on the track...so on the road especially...it just doesnt matter much to me...

That said, if Tony K. comes into this thread and states an opinion, I will be likely to believe his opinion and take it more seriously than I would of others...Leh K. as well...

Old 04-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
That's not what Porsche is about.
ya...but dude, comon, Porsche COULD have wiped out the playing field for years if they just upped the power to 600... the car would be utter insanity.

Its different if the car was Na and could only have a reliable 400 or so hp...but the gt2 has so much left to tap that its a sin Porsche didnt just wreck the playing field when they could have...they would have a hypercar^2 for sure...

Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Z07 - you have anything to say that would be considered insightful, informative, and intelligent? Please satisfy this one curiosity of mine about you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTR v-Spec laps ring faster than CGT