Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GTR v-Spec laps ring faster than CGT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
Those Nissan GT-R's they test on the ring are basically stripped out race cars running upwards of 600hp on race gas, racing suspension, and slicks. Regardless of that, that is still very impressive to be in the 7:30 range. Does anyone know what Porsche GT3 Cup race cars are capable on the ring, because that would be a much better comparison IMO?

Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM
rr4
rr4 is infamous around these parts
I've posted a comment like this before but here it is again.

In a video game like GT4, it is possible for the computer to calculate and identify the inter-dependability between the curve of the track, throttle levels, brake levels, turning points etc etc in producing an optimum laptime.

I'm wondering if it is possible for engineers to use GPS to help a driver apply the correct throttle, brake and turn in to assist the driver in producing a quick lap. I don't mean arbitrarily driving the car for the driver, but only assisting the driver into making the correct choices in throttle, braking and turn in.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Nissan GTR usually have three versions.

GTR
GTR V-Spec
GTR V-Spec II

If the V-Spec is doing these times, I really want to know what V-Spec II will do.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rr4
I've posted a comment like this before but here it is again.

In a video game like GT4, it is possible for the computer to calculate and identify the inter-dependability between the curve of the track, throttle levels, brake levels, turning points etc etc in producing an optimum laptime.

I'm wondering if it is possible for engineers to use GPS to help a driver apply the correct throttle, brake and turn in to assist the driver in producing a quick lap. I don't mean arbitrarily driving the car for the driver, but only assisting the driver into making the correct choices in throttle, braking and turn in.
Ha, you got it! Yes, they can do it and I'm certain the GT-R test did. They can even optimally set the front-to-rear torque using GPS to be ready for the upcoming surface and turns before they get to it so there's no processing delay. The GT-R uses an electronically controlled transfer case, so that's easy. Many people don't realize how much 4WD helps around turns when you can precisely control the front/rear torque. The Nissan system is one of the few systems today that can do this very precisely based on GPS, or, when in your hands, vehicle speed, wheel slip and vehicle orientation.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
EXPLICIT is infamous around these parts
Here's a question. Has the GTR's original 'ring time been replicated by an independent yet?

Old 04-09-2008, 03:46 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by epik
Spokesman for the ZR1 said on video that they can't wait to get to the ring because "there are some people trying to take away our record... we're going to... at the worst turn in 7:30's, we might even get into the 7:20's."

What records? lol

He starts talking about how they've managed about 620hp and the aerodynamics of the car. Nothing about traction or handling. I doubt we'll see the ZR1 get under 7:30. If they manage it, that'll be on hell of a driver.

I think GM should have chased for more downforce like those used in the Viper SRT10 ACR. The ACR already kills the Nissan GTR in the handling stakes and very likely kill the V-Spec. I guess GM didnt want to hurt its top speed and already excellent fuel consumption for better handling.

Another area that GM didnt chase after has been on the weight front. They didnt want to sacrifice comfort in search of performance. I personally dont agree with this, they should have stripped the car out like what Nissan is doing with the Vspec and Porsche with the GT2.

Just to add to epik's post

From: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124018

And just to up the ZR1's chest-puffing quotient, Juechter notes this car "will be able to take the production-car track record at any racetrack."

As for top speed, Juechter says only that the 200-mph speedometer of the standard and Z06 Corvettes has been replaced with a 220-mph unit, because the standard one is "grossly inadequate."

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
335/R2520
285/R3019

Magnetic Selective Ride Control (More advanced version than that used in the Ferrari 599)

When you're stopped and the clutch pedal is depressed and you pile on some revs, the car assumes you want to launch it hard. It automatically softens the compression damping of the rear shocks, and this allows the rear end to squat and effectively shift more weight to the rear of the car for added traction. At the same time, the rebound damping of the rear shocks goes up to 99 percent of full stiffness.

ZR1's brakes
15-inch Brembo carbon-ceramic rotors fitted as standard to the ZR1's rear wheels are the brakes originally designed for the front of Ferrari's 650-hp Enzo supercar.

In the front of the ZR1, you'll find even larger 15.5-inch carbon-ceramic units. (Similar but smaller than the Ferrari FXX)

Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EXPLICIT
Here's a question. Has the GTR's original 'ring time been replicated by an independent yet?

The Nissan GTR achieved a time of 7:38, the only independent test around the ring was done by Horst von Saurma who achieved a time of 7:50, slower than the Corvette ZO6 but faster than the Porsche Turbo.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
And there's also various rumors of GT2's running 7:25's on the Ring.

Either way, let's wait til the official V-Spec time gets released on a production-ready model (not a test mule).

Old 04-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bill S
Ha, you got it! Yes, they can do it and I'm certain the GT-R test did. They can even optimally set the front-to-rear torque using GPS to be ready for the upcoming surface and turns before they get to it so there's no processing delay. The GT-R uses an electronically controlled transfer case, so that's easy. Many people don't realize how much 4WD helps around turns when you can precisely control the front/rear torque. The Nissan system is one of the few systems today that can do this very precisely based on GPS, or, when in your hands, vehicle speed, wheel slip and vehicle orientation.
If anyone would know about this stuff, it's you, Bill!

So basically, it can be summarized as Nissan cheating using GPS and no way in hell anyone is going to replicate those times without GPS telemetry that is proactive. This car is more and more like a video game every day. I don't even understand why they would need a driver... they could just use GPS to have the car drive by itself?

This would certainly explain why Sport Auto's Horst van Saurma only got 7:50, guess Nissan forgot to bring the computer equipment and eggheads in the pits driving the car for him.

Nissan has been full of **** before, I suspect this won't be much different.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:15 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
If you use the GPS to set up throttle and chassis adjustments you certainly can use it for navigation to within 2 meters. Just put the driver to sleep and let the computer do the whole thing. Who needs skill?

Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by OldGuy
If you use the GPS to set up throttle and chassis adjustments you certainly can use it for navigation to within 2 meters. Just put the driver to sleep and let the computer do the whole thing. Who needs skill?
Isn't that the ultimate thrill? Drive your car to your favorite road, push a button, and hold on while it drives the road faster than any human can, and with little chance of an accident? You might see that in your lifetime, althought it may be a secret button.

We're close today... we still need a human brain to make some decisions that the computer can't.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Hamann7
This would certainly explain why Sport Auto's Horst van Saurma only got 7:50, guess Nissan forgot to bring the computer equipment and eggheads in the pits driving the car for him.
Yes, that is plausible. You can do a lot with the GT-R because it responds well to electronic signals. I did drive it. It's very fast and the shifts speeds are incredible. Personally, I don't like the way it looks and feels. Of course you know you must drive a car to see if you like it. You can usually tell if you like the car after driving it a few feet!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:06 PM
unique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud of
guys if this is true about the v spec gtr...

i give you all my word i will own one and not care if it is a nissan... that time is just NUTZZZ

Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
I'd be impressed if a hyper version of the Zonda did a 7.25 on the Ring. Now it's a Nissan, and I don't care what kind of tires it was on, I'm impressed!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Banned
epik is infamous around these parts
There are rumors of the Lexus LF-A having run a 7:24 but who knows when they'll actually build this car.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Lexus-...seconds-24268/

http://jalopnik.com/338687/loose+lip...in-record-time

Toyota FT-HS, New Supra (if they make another one besides the LFA), and the new NSX are on the way as well. Plenty of new supercars to look forward to.

Last edited by epik; 04-09-2008 at 06:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTR v-Spec laps ring faster than CGT