Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GTR v-Spec laps ring faster than CGT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 03:14 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
so now im totally confused. why would the veyron be so much slower since paddles and awd are the key and weight doesnt reall matter?

Old 04-12-2008, 03:36 PM
MLT
MLT is infamous around these parts
Because its too expensive car! What a stupid test driver should be to race the most expensive car in the world beyond the limits...
It's just my opininion.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:45 PM
MLT
MLT is infamous around these parts
By the way. The reason why GTR front is so ugly for some people, because it's very aerodynamic. And the reason why Veyron is less ugly, because its less aerodynamic.
The main rule of cars performance: You jus cant get top performance and top beauty in one car!

Old 04-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Control It
I'd love to drive a GT-R and would definitely consider one if I liked it..Badges aside..A good comparison might be a Jeep SRT-8 to a Cayenne Turbo..less than 1/2 the price and faster..in fact embarrassingly faster than a Cayenne S..I've driven SRT-8's a few times and really like them..But they are apples and oranges to the better handling and built Cayenne (and I am an unhappy Cayenne owner or would have bought a CTT).

As far as 'status' the SRT-8 get's more respect around my area than a Cayenne, which is more closely associated with well to do Soccer Mom's..
Sorry dude. That comparison has lost everybody. SUVs? What are they about?

Old 04-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Z07
Prototypes are still in development. The finished article may be faster.
And they'll call it the GT-R V-Spec-TF (the "Tooth Fairy" edition).

Old 04-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Z07
Banned
Originally Posted by Al Pettee
And they'll call it the GT-R V-Spec-TF (the "Tooth Fairy" edition).
Maybe they'll just call it the PH-Edition.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:58 PM
srika is infamous around these partssrika is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Z07
Sorry dude. That comparison has lost everybody. SUVs? What are they about?
hhhahahahhhha

Old 04-12-2008, 04:11 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fcar348
so now im totally confused. why would the veyron be so much slower since paddles and awd are the key and weight doesnt reall matter?

You cannot take ring times on the whole as a measure of performance, only a baseline. There are far too many factors to compare a Veyron to a GT-R or GT3 or Z06 for example.

I'm not certain of this but I'd be the the Veyron had less emphasis put on the ring time and thus had less time spent testing there, and probably less of a driver than the big three who with their flagship performance cars have thrown the entire arsenal of engineers at the ring. Not to say there arent other drivers capable, but I think it's fairly accepted that these are certainly some of the best ring drivers in the world.

The Z06 is said to have done it's 1:42.9 from a standing start, but either way the driver only had one day to set his fastest lap as opposed to Porsche and Nissan where they are constantly there for weeks. Porsche tests with other cars on track and the fastest laps are mixed with passes, and likely some precaution.

And to this day, no one knows how much is done to each car in preperation for the ring, they obviously adjust the suspension settings, but to what extent, and what different fluids etc are being used. One thing is for sure, the cars are not in the same form that you would drive off the lot in.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Z07
Banned
Originally Posted by heavychevy

The Z06 is said to have done it's 1:42.9 from a standing start
Wow, that's even faster than my GT4 time.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Hamann7
I don't know if I fully agree with your assertion, Bill. Actually, Porsche DOES know how to do a great electronic AWD. The system developed for the 959 is still one of the best systems out there for a road car, it even carried over to the 964 C4's but the complexity of the system was causing some reliability issues. Nissan actually developed their system from the 959, so it's safe to say that they copied from the best and then evolved it over time.
The Nissan system wasn't developed from the 959. It was developed from scratch from the results of super-computer simulations and other mathematical analysis. The system is far more comprehensive than that developed for the 959 or 964 C4. Basically Nissan determined the ideal front/rear torque split under all road condtions and vehicle orientations, developed an AWD transaxle to implement the theory (which is very ingenious in how it works), and developed complex sensors and computer programs to help apply the theory. No Porsche car does this.

BTW, the system is called ATTESA E-TS: Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split. It actually can differentiate between entering a corner and exiting one.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:18 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
The Z06 is said to have done it's 1:42.9 from a standing start, but either way the driver only had one day to set his fastest lap as opposed to Porsche and Nissan where they are constantly there for weeks. Porsche tests with other cars on track and the fastest laps are mixed with passes, and likely some precaution.
More like 5 laps to set the fastest time.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Are you talking about Jan? He only had 5 laps?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:13 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Are you talking about Jan? He only had 5 laps?

In short GM rented the track for 1 hour early in the morning. Jan actually had 4 laps to beat the Porsche GT3 RS time of 7:43. From what ive heard Jan had less than 50 laps experience around the ring prior to the ZO6 attempt.

Article translated:

Scanned from a recent issue of "Bilmagasinet" - danish car mag.
Interview with Jan Magnussen about (among other things) his record lap at NBR.
Here's a translation:

-
Thursday morning, Southern Germany. General Motors have discreetly rented the legendary german Nurburgring track for an hour between 7 and 8 in the morning.
The temperature is more comfortable than at Le Mans, and the track is empty apart from a couple of early rising spy photographers.
It takes more than a blue Vette to exite them - they recognize it's the Z06 version, the brutal Vette with 500 BHP. What they do not know, is that it's Jan Magnussen behind the wheel.
The objective is to beat Walther Rorhl's laptime in a Porsce GT3 RS - it's 7:43.0 min for the 20.8 km heavily varied track with 73 corners.
The record was set in 2004 in a standard version of the Porsche.
Jan made 7:42.9 thereby beating the Porsche GT3 RS by 0.1 sec.

"The photo is taken at Flugplatz. It's going 240-250 km/h at full throttle in 4th gear and the car is actually jumping twice: After the first jump it lands so hard that it takes off again, as you can see in the second picture. As it lands the second time I have to take a sharp right immediately after. The car is a standard car with street setup - had it been my racer it would hardly have left the tarmac. At NBR the street car reaches 295 km/h on the long straight in 5th gear (6th gear is an overgear for saving gasoline). At NBR there are no run-off areas like other tracks. You simply have to stay on the track. When you are halfway around the 20 km, you think it's a good thing there are only half as many places left you risk running off the track" Jan says.

"The street Corvette has virtually no grip compared to my race car which has a large rear spoiler. But it does have almost as many BHPs as my Le Mans racer and is almost as fast. The rev limiter sets in at 7000 rpms, and it does have more than 500 BHPs. It's fast. At the record attempt I drove 2 x 2 laps with a cooldown lap in between for both mine and the car's sake. I couldn't have driven one single lap more. I wouldn't have liked to drive a single meter (3 feet) more with myself at the wheel at that speed", Jan finishes.

Last edited by monaroCountry; 04-13-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Z07
Banned
Well GM are having a good long test with the ZR1, so let's see if it beats the V-Spec.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Interesting info Monaro.

I dont think there has ever been simultaneous testing of two competing manufacturers. I bet they'll both be waiting for the other to post a number first.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTR v-Spec laps ring faster than CGT