Yellowing carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Cedric is infamous around these parts
Post Yellowing carbon fiber

Is this what "yellowing CF" looks like?
This is from an F40.

Last edited by Cedric; 04-21-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor
Vorsteiner has much to be proud ofVorsteiner has much to be proud ofVorsteiner has much to be proud ofVorsteiner has much to be proud ofVorsteiner has much to be proud ofVorsteiner has much to be proud ofVorsteiner has much to be proud ofVorsteiner has much to be proud ofVorsteiner has much to be proud ofVorsteiner has much to be proud of
This is a result of the UV Rays directly affecting the resin embedded in the carbon fiber giving it a green/yellow apperance.

The only remedies will be to replace this or ask your local painter to spray a very light black smoke tinted clear to these panels to hide this discoloration.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't bother me. carbon is still carbon.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Former Vendor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
I don't think I have seen an F40 where the carbon isn't that color.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Cedric is infamous around these parts
^^ unless you've seen them brand new in 87-1992, im sure the one you've seen has yellowed just like this one.

Originally Posted by 20C4S
Doesn't bother me. carbon is still carbon.
Ditto!
me neither, i was just curious.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
The part that yellows is the clear coat or resin over the carbon fiber. We try to avoid this by putting a UV protectant in our clear coat. Even being Yellow, that F-40 carbon looks pretty cool!

Old 04-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LaneS
The part that yellows is the clear coat or resin over the carbon fiber. We try to avoid this by putting a UV protectant in our clear coat. Even being Yellow, that F-40 carbon looks pretty cool!
+1 Thanks for the info and agreed...F40 is AMAZING despite the yellowing CF.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
I thought the interior for the F40's was kevlar? That doesn't look like yellowing CF, just looks like Kevlar which generally has a black/grey and yellow/bronzish weave

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 04-21-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 PM
petevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
I thought the interior for the F40's was kevlar? That doesn't look like yellowing CF, just looks like Kevlar which generally has a black/grey and yellow/bronzish weave
Correct. That's not yellowing resin. It's a Carbon (black)/ Kevlar (yellow) hybrid fabric/ weave.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Y65MPH is infamous around these partsY65MPH is infamous around these parts
That is CF not Kevlar. Almost all CF will yellow and degrade with time. Look at any Carrera GT. One of the only cars that will not do this is the new Corvette ZR1 since GM designed a clear coat that is $10000 a gallon to prevent yellowing.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:59 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Y65MPH
That is CF not Kevlar. Almost all CF will yellow and degrade with time. Look at any Carrera GT. One of the only cars that will not do this is the new Corvette ZR1 since GM designed a clear coat that is $10000 a gallon to prevent yellowing.

are you sure? Because I've seen a lot of yellowing CF and it's never uniformed like that. And doing a search tells me carbon/kevlar was used on the F40's.

here's a picture I found of another F40 (It actually may be the same one, but don't think so; radios are different)

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 04-21-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:01 PM
petevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Y65MPH
http://www.fibreglast.com/showproduc...+Tapes-16.html

3rd one down. I know all about yellowing unprotected resin- that's not it. See the yellow lines? That's what you get with a carbon-kevlar hybrid weave when you zoom out.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
I'm not sure if it's carbon kevlar, or yellowing carbon. I know that the Ferrari F-50 used plain carbon fiber, but not sure about the F-40.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by LaneS
I'm not sure if it's carbon kevlar, or yellowing carbon. I know that the Ferrari F-50 used plain carbon fiber, but not sure about the F-40.
"The F40's body is comprised almost entirely of composite materials, mostly a weave of carbon fiber, Kevlar, and Nomex."

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/pages/ferrari_f40.htm

Ferrari's composite tech wasn't very developed when they made the F40. Next gen cars (McLaren F1, F50, etc) switched to pure carbon.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:46 PM
kem
kem is infamous around these parts
Are you sure its UV rays? My CF yellowed in my engine compartment and that hardly ever gets uv rays.

Originally Posted by Vorsteiner
This is a result of the UV Rays directly affecting the resin embedded in the carbon fiber giving it a green/yellow apperance.

The only remedies will be to replace this or ask your local painter to spray a very light black smoke tinted clear to these panels to hide this discoloration.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yellowing carbon fiber