Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Ruf Picture Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:20 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
RUF is not mainly about making money, they are all about Racing and passion for Porsche. Their products are meant to be pure, uncompromising and back to the roots. a way Porsche can`t walk anymore, cause they have to go for huge sales and they want to attract as much customers as possible.
In the Porsche scene RUF cars have the best reputation and they are known for making bullet proof cars and very reliable tuning. They are THE experts when it comes to the 911 and are in the Porsche tuning business for almost 50 years! now.
Some say, if u want a real Porsche, then RUF is the only way to go nowadays...

P.S. I´d rather take a 650 BHP Ruf Kit than a 750 BHP kit from one of these other "cheap" tuners. u may regret it sooner or later and as far as RUF and their tuning is concerned: what u see is what u get, it´s totally worth it!

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 10-15-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Niche is infamous around these parts
P.S. I´d rather take a 650 BHP Ruf Kit than a 750 BHP kit from one of these other "cheap" tuners.
They may not have as much horsepower as other tuners, but they are a more "complete" car. I don't know how many tuner cars would sustain the kind of driving I do with my RUF as often as I do.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:49 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Niche
They may not have as much horsepower as other tuners, but they are a more "complete" car. I don't know how many tuner cars would sustain the kind of driving I do with my RUF as often as I do.
that´s what i meant. the difference is, that the 650 BHP are real figures and it´s worth every penny cause u won´t be afraid of ruining ur engine/car with their kits.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Former Vendor
LARennsport is infamous around these parts
I believe you get a year warranty w/a Ruf motor. Plus, they are not a "tuner"...they are a manufacturer. Totally different animal. I also don't agree that they are all about racing and back to basics (summarized)....unless that's what you ordered them to build. They are about a total performance package that can do a lot when called upon. But Ruf is known for soft sprung cars (that don't knock your teeth loose) that run very big sway bars....comfy, but effective. Drive to the shops....drive the Ring....that's very hard to do....

Old 10-16-2008, 04:10 PM
agree with that, what i meant with the term racing is the old spirit and their philosophy. their main aim is to make the best Porsche performance cars around, simple as that. if u want it more comfy u get it as well, but mainly they are about a true, reliable and solid performance package...

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 10-16-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:34 PM
kmy
kmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to behold
RUF motors definately do come with a year warranty and their customer service is as good as it gets IMO.

The other thing I've noticed about my RUF is that the power is USEABLE. I'm far from an expert, but I think there is a big difference between peak power and sustainable power. I think my turbo R is rated around 500hp, but it absolutely trumps anything I've driven, including several cars that have both higher peak horsepower and higher power to weight ratios.

I previously had a modified 996tt that was rated around 600hp and a Hartge e60 M5 and the RUF feels noticeably faster than both cars at almost all rpms. I've also run with and pulled on a few c6 zo6's which are pretty dang fast.

Nothing scientific (and I'm clearly biased), but another perspective from a satisfied RUFFIE...

Cheers,
Kevin

Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Former Vendor
LARennsport is infamous around these parts
Kevin...extremely well said. Did you get it converted or purchase it as an R?

Old 10-17-2008, 03:23 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Just to add...

I don't think Ruf sets out to build the FASTEST car out there. They do set out to build the most WELL ROUNDED car out there.

they're also not much into bragging. for example, most RT12's (engine) dyno at or right around 700HP, yet they advertise 650HP. AFAIK, similar to what Porsche do (or used to do,) Ruf will take more or less the lowest HP rating they've gotten for a type of engine, and then put that on the tin. that way, chances are that the customer will be getting at least as much as he's expecting.

finally, i believe that it IS true Ruf are no longer at the cutting edge of Porsche engine development (as they may have been way back with the Yellowbird). the reality i think is that the type of clientele they cater to aren't interested in outright FASTEST, QUICKEST claims, nor in having to go thru an extensive R&D process with custom engine builds, in the pursuit of the absolute most powerful engine.

no offense to anyone here (Ruf fan or otherwise,) but my sense is that the average Ruf buyer is NOT a hardcore gearhead to the same degree or in the same way as someone who is willing to work with say, a Protomotive or RS Tuning or other such boutique engine building house.

there ARE exceptions of course! but most Ruf buyers are happy to spec their car, pick it up in the 2-3 mos it takes to build it, and just drive in and enjoy it, as you would if you'd driven a brand new Porsche off the lot.

many people on this and other hardcore auto forums may not fit that profile of buyer, but Alois Ruf and co seem to have been pretty successful at serving their market, so whether or not you find their cars overpriced for what you get, he seems to be doing something right

Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 PM
kmy
kmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to beholdkmy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LARennsport
Kevin...extremely well said. Did you get it converted or purchase it as an R?
LARenn,

I ended up getting the car converted myself. I had RUF totally rebuild the engine (topend and bottomend), new clutch, lifters, brakes, body work, etc. Basically anything and everything that one could replace or upgrade through RUF, i've done.

Here are some links that give the full story on the car.

The first is after the body kit was put on and goes through my decision to send it to RUF along with pics of the conversion in process...
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-kit-pics.html

the second is once I got her back!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...3-turbo-r.html

Cheers!
KEvin

Old 10-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Va122 is infamous around these parts
I need a box of tissues

Old 10-23-2008, 12:25 AM
hugo is infamous around these partshugo is infamous around these parts
2 generations

Attached Images    
Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
Are those photoshopped?

Old 10-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Niche is infamous around these parts
After detailing and little badge mod.

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Uh..... I personally think it's a bit too crowded with so many badges n' things. If I were you, I'd remove the RUF badge.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:40 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by blkf430
may i ask

pardon my ignorance but what makes the ruf that special?

why are they more glorified than the other
since their tuning is limited to the 650 Hp package for the 997
let me say that. The grandson of the founder of the company sends his car to Ruf from the factory. Hmmm. they quality is as good as OEM if not better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ruf Picture Thread