GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

PetFrogs' Replacement - my new CGT!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM
mburnstein is infamous around these parts
And to you also SHANKENFELTER

Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
we need a review Fred.....have you been able to get yourself out of the driver seat yet?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:36 PM
aw21 is infamous around these parts
you are living the dream man! It's amazing - can't wait to see what you do w/ it!

Old 05-16-2008, 02:39 PM
997GT3NM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dealmaker
The car can barely put down the HP it has now without giving it another 160 or so!!
Sure it can; that is one car that can actually handle that extra power and it would be worth it. I drove it and almost up to its top speed. That ultra stiff carbon chassis and large wheel base and stability can handle it for sure. It may not be able to put it down of the line, but who cares? It is not a drag racer. You just learn how to properly launch it and enjoy that power at any speeds over 80 mph. If I had the money, I would at least do the stage 1 or 2 for sure. With the higher tops speeds, the 200 mph mark should be easily reached when you have the space.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:43 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
congratulations

Old 05-16-2008, 02:56 PM
dealmaker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 997GT3NM
Sure it can; that is one car that can actually handle that extra power and it would be worth it. I drove it and almost up to its top speed. That ultra stiff carbon chassis and large wheel base and stability can handle it for sure. It may not be able to put it down of the line, but who cares? It is not a drag racer. You just learn how to properly launch it and enjoy that power at any speeds over 80 mph. If I had the money, I would at least do the stage 1 or 2 for sure. With the higher tops speeds, the 200 mph mark should be easily reached when you have the space.
Yeah right! It's certainly not a drag car..but that wasn't my point (we don't have many straight roads round where I drive!)

Try driving one on marginal roads, in less than ideal conditions, in wet/damp weather or indeed on the track. Car struggles to put the power down particularly in second. Do a few thousand miles and you will understand.

It is a great high speed car, but one thing it doesn't need is any more power!

Now on slicks (on a track)...it would be a whole different ball game!

On the road, we need to be able to get some SuperCups for this car....then..and only then............would a stage 1, 2, or 3 make ANY sense!

Old 05-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Mike M. is infamous around these parts
Congrats, Fred. What an awesome progressive collection (I still remember that e39 M5, too). Enjoy it in the best of health.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:03 PM
seanlee768 is infamous around these parts
sick man,,,, sick money congra on the car. i love it. i hope one day i get to be like you

sean

Old 05-16-2008, 03:03 PM
caltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to allcaltex is a name known to all
Just saw one of those same color at Boardwalk in Dallas.... Got to say amazing all the way around! That ride sets the bar.... Well done!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by dealmaker
Yeah right! It's certainly not a drag car..but that wasn't my point (we don't have many straight roads round where I drive!)

Try driving one on marginal roads, in less than ideal conditions, in wet/damp weather or indeed on the track. Car struggles to put the power down particularly in second. Do a few thousand miles and you will understand.

It is a great high speed car, but one thing it doesn't need is any more power!

Now on slicks (on a track)...it would be a whole different ball game!

On the road, we need to be able to get some SuperCups for this car....then..and only then............would a stage 1, 2, or 3 make ANY sense!
I believe you, that does make sense. I did mention in another post where I was getting my post count up that I followed the same one I drove up a curvy mountain road and he had the PS2's and I had R888's on my 997 GT3. After a few miles he pulled over and told me to take the lead. I did not think that with the 19 front and 20 rear wheels, you don't get the real track tires in those sizes.

I was just referring to top speed since my 1 to 2 hours behind the wheel and about 100 miles (not too shabby for a CGT test drive you have to admit) was mostly straights and a road that we call roller coaster road (no, not the one in Tucson). I actually caught some air a couple of times (he knew the road and told me to do it, I was just following orders), and I did not push it past 7/10's on any corner (no way). But on the "I can see for 20 miles" straight I did come close to topping it out (especailly for the altitude we were at), and I could tell that the car is really made for straightline high speeds, or let's just say it was very good at it and very stable. I can easily see the car doing 225 comfortably on a smooth Autobahn or track with a lot less drama than any other car I have ever driven.

On that day I drove both the CGT and my 997 GT3 both for the very first time at the same speeds of 192 (which is also the fastest I have ever driven or been in a car, and I have spent many years of my life driving on the German Autobahn). My GT3 had the stock front spoiler lip (now I have the Cup car one), but it did have the RS wing and decklid. The wing and decklid held up fine and did seem to help plant the car, but I really can't say how much since I never went that fast with the stock wing and I certianly never went that fast in my 2005 325 hp C2. But what I can say, is that the CGT was may more planted and confident at those speeds than my 3. And add to that, when I did that speed in the morning with my 3 there was no wind at all. When I did it with the CGT in the afternoon, there were cross winds of 25 to 35 mph, if not some hitting 40 mph! And even with these crosswinds, the CGT was a rock at 192. However, when you are doing those speeds with crosswinds and the road is not smooth, and you get airborne just for a split second (easy to do in the ultra stiff CGT), then you better know what you are doing. We easily could have made the national news that day and caused Fred to pay maybe another $10 - 15K for his then even more rare CGT! That really is not funny and was pretty dumb on my part.

Disclaimer: The above mentioned speeds may have been kph or maybe even meters per hour; and our roads may have been on a closed test track. Sometimes I exaggerate and forget things; who knows?

Old 05-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Btw Dealmaker, I love your orange Porsche. Is that a Carrera (S) with exclusive paint and an aero kit and the black painted Carrera III wheels?

It looks awesome! If those wheels had the correct offset, I would want to put them on my GT3 just like you have them. That car is just clean and simple and a neat color. Good job!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Cedric is infamous around these parts
Gunmetal wheels baby

Old 05-16-2008, 09:24 PM
donc808 is infamous around these parts
congrats on the new car

Old 05-16-2008, 10:44 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Congrats on that purchase! Amazing choice! Beautiful!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Don Relentless is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 997GT3NM
I believe you, that does make sense. I did mention in another post where I was getting my post count up that I followed the same one I drove up a curvy mountain road and he had the PS2's and I had R888's on my 997 GT3. After a few miles he pulled over and told me to take the lead. I did not think that with the 19 front and 20 rear wheels, you don't get the real track tires in those sizes.

I was just referring to top speed since my 1 to 2 hours behind the wheel and about 100 miles (not too shabby for a CGT test drive you have to admit) was mostly straights and a road that we call roller coaster road (no, not the one in Tucson). I actually caught some air a couple of times (he knew the road and told me to do it, I was just following orders), and I did not push it past 7/10's on any corner (no way). But on the "I can see for 20 miles" straight I did come close to topping it out (especailly for the altitude we were at), and I could tell that the car is really made for straightline high speeds, or let's just say it was very good at it and very stable. I can easily see the car doing 225 comfortably on a smooth Autobahn or track with a lot less drama than any other car I have ever driven.

On that day I drove both the CGT and my 997 GT3 both for the very first time at the same speeds of 192 (which is also the fastest I have ever driven or been in a car, and I have spent many years of my life driving on the German Autobahn). My GT3 had the stock front spoiler lip (now I have the Cup car one), but it did have the RS wing and decklid. The wing and decklid held up fine and did seem to help plant the car, but I really can't say how much since I never went that fast with the stock wing and I certianly never went that fast in my 2005 325 hp C2. But what I can say, is that the CGT was may more planted and confident at those speeds than my 3. And add to that, when I did that speed in the morning with my 3 there was no wind at all. When I did it with the CGT in the afternoon, there were cross winds of 25 to 35 mph, if not some hitting 40 mph! And even with these crosswinds, the CGT was a rock at 192. However, when you are doing those speeds with crosswinds and the road is not smooth, and you get airborne just for a split second (easy to do in the ultra stiff CGT), then you better know what you are doing. We easily could have made the national news that day and caused Fred to pay maybe another $10 - 15K for his then even more rare CGT! That really is not funny and was pretty dumb on my part.

Disclaimer: The above mentioned speeds may have been kph or maybe even meters per hour; and our roads may have been on a closed test track. Sometimes I exaggerate and forget things; who knows?

you said you drove the EDO stage 3 car. interesting as i heard the car has never drove right as they can't get all the bugs out of it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PetFrogs' Replacement - my new CGT!