GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

A few?'s about the GT1 & other stuff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Banned
Tommy Vercetti is infamous around these parts
A few?'s about the GT1 & other stuff

I was curious if the GT1 was ever road legal ? and if it was has anyone ever seen one on the road ? I remember reading a test of the car many years ago in Car and Driver and the story had a part about driving it to a Wal-Mart and the noise from it making the other people in the PL running in terror. I think the car was from Champion.
Hey I was driving around in downtown West Palm Bch last night when low and behold I saw a 959. It was silver and the rear lic plate said "NINE5NINE" I got up next to him and it was def real. It had the old school interior and the older real skinny steering wheel. The guy was an older man and his wife, both very nice and he said he owned it since new and had about 50K miles on it. They seemed a little taken aback that I was so thrilled w/it. He said no one relly gives it a second look , I was practically pissing my pants. I would have loved to run him.
My other question was why does Porsche seem to nickel and dime its consumers to death. I was looking at a 996TT recently and I was LMAO reading the window sticker and the "option prices" now these items are just a few from what really grabbed me , but when you are paying $150K-180K for a car do you really need to pay extra for
Red Seat Belts $500
Thicker Steering Wheel $350
Creasts for the interior
Creasts for the center caps of the wheels
There was quite a few other little things but my god why do these seemingly stock items cost extra?
I understand CF pkgs but $500 for a diff color seat belt!!

I could not help but remember what the last sum up thought was from a test editor for C&D said in comparison of the Toureg VS the Cay TT a few months ago. He said "The VW simply wants to be your friend while the Porsche is simply there to steal your money".

Old 07-21-2004, 05:09 AM
Grand Pumba
Mr. RS is infamous around these parts
Tommy,

Yes the Gt1 was road legal in Europe at least.

In a recent issue of Octane magazine there was one for sale in the classified, from memory I think it was about £300K + ish.

A few years ago I was traveling cross country in my old 4S when what looked like a flat nose Porsche appeared in my rear view mirror.

It then appeared in my windscreen as a GT1 and proceeded to leave me for dust in the most fantastic display of noise and flames as it disappeared into the distance!

A great motoring moment!.

P.