Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

2008 Nurburgring 24 hours

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:49 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
2008 Nurburgring 24 hours

The 24 hours of Nurburgring happens this weekend. Tons of Porsches. Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas will be piloting a 911 GT3 RSR. Looks like a total of 254 cars are entered. Of conspicuous absence is the Nissan GT-R, I thought a few were entering (I couldn't help pointing that out). What happened?

Old 05-22-2008, 02:28 PM
netburner is infamous around these partsnetburner is infamous around these parts
Could be because the GT-R is not available at german dealers up to now. Dealer-debut will be in March 2009.

I will drive down to the race tomorrow. Hope the weather will stay this year.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
No, it's because the porky GT-R hasn't been developed for racing yet. In stock form, it would obviously get annhilated.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hamann7
No, it's because the porky GT-R hasn't been developed for racing yet. In stock form, it would obviously get annhilated.
Good point

Old 05-22-2008, 03:26 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by netburner
Could be because the GT-R is not available at german dealers up to now. Dealer-debut will be in March 2009.

I will drive down to the race tomorrow. Hope the weather will stay this year.

Actually, I read a couple of days ago (I wish I hadbook-marked it) that a few GT-R teams were planned. Based on the entry list that I read today, those teams are nowhere to be found.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Also, this is the track where the GT-R ran the "7:29" and they have spent thousands of hours developing the car. Does seem strange that they would stay away from an opportunity like this. But, what do I know?

Old 05-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Porsche Fiend
I would suspect that Nissan just doesn't want to be humiliated after all their boasting.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:09 PM
netburner is infamous around these partsnetburner is infamous around these parts
I think they will come next year when the car is available here in Germany so they can do a better marketing with the race.

I'm surprised to see Lexus with the LF-A in the race....

Old 05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
KeyserSoze is infamous around these parts
Nissan does have a race version of the GT-R:

Old 05-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Hamann7
I would suspect that Nissan just doesn't want to be humiliated after all their boasting.
I suspected this might be the case also. The little Cayman certainly did not do too badly for it's debut last year, but it is conspicuously absent this year also. I wonder if Porsche did not put a little pressure on those guys not to run it again this year because it did so well last year?

Old 05-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
Nissan does have a race version of the GT-R:

I know. Where is it? This should be an excellent opportunity for Nissan.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:26 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Nissan cant race a Super GT car at Lemans, the rules are completely different, Lemans being governed by ACO is very strict whereas SGT cars have a very loose form of ruling on how they enter their cars. The motors dont even have to be based on homologated street cars, or come in the car that they ar racing, so it could have anything under the hood. Not only that the aero dynamic structure has very little to do with the street cars. So while they may be able to edit some things with the aero, and make sure it's factory spec motor, the ACO ruling against Turbo cars and since I beleive the car is not built on an actual GT-R chassis, but a purpose built one, it would have to run in LMGT1 vs the DB9R and C6R without all of the aero stuff.

And it still would give us no idea as to street performance because LMGT1 is based on homologation to a further extent that SGT, but the cars dont resemble the street cars versions one bit.

And to race in LMGT2 they'd have to take the humongous GT-R chassy, essentially be forced to add RWD or be penalized, and get enough weight out of the car (1300/1400 lbs) to be competitive. So they'd have to start from scratch. I honestly think they'll have to go tube frame in the racing series they enter like the CTS-V's, GTO etc.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:21 PM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
That race version,if reliable, would be a formidable opponent!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:44 PM
I really do think it is interesting that so much has been made of the GT-R's ability to beat the 997 TT at the Nurburgring, and now we have an event at the ring, where the mighty GT-R has supposedly reigned "superior" and they are no where to be found. We have guys in this event who really know how to drive Porsches and conditions that can't be well controlled, such as traffic. Could that have something to do with it? I dunno. Hell, the GT-R has been burning up the Nurburgring for the last seven years, and now it is no where to be found. One did manage to make it to One Lap even though it is not yet available in America, and they have been officially raced in Japan where it won it's debut race. Just observations. Curious.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Porsche Fiend
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Nissan cant race a Super GT car at Lemans, the rules are completely different, Lemans being governed by ACO is very strict whereas SGT cars have a very loose form of ruling on how they enter their cars. The motors dont even have to be based on homologated street cars, or come in the car that they ar racing, so it could have anything under the hood. Not only that the aero dynamic structure has very little to do with the street cars. So while they may be able to edit some things with the aero, and make sure it's factory spec motor, the ACO ruling against Turbo cars and since I beleive the car is not built on an actual GT-R chassis, but a purpose built one, it would have to run in LMGT1 vs the DB9R and C6R without all of the aero stuff.

And it still would give us no idea as to street performance because LMGT1 is based on homologation to a further extent that SGT, but the cars dont resemble the street cars versions one bit.

And to race in LMGT2 they'd have to take the humongous GT-R chassy, essentially be forced to add RWD or be penalized, and get enough weight out of the car (1300/1400 lbs) to be competitive. So they'd have to start from scratch. I honestly think they'll have to go tube frame in the racing series they enter like the CTS-V's, GTO etc.
Yes, but we're talking about the 24 Hours of Nurburgring, not Le Mans. It is governed by VLN and ADAC, which have rather liberal rules. It is an interesting mix of pro race teams like Manthey, factory teams like Toyota's LF-A team, and even amateur teams racing much cheaper cars. Look at the Jurgen Alzen 996 Turbo for example, that would never pass muster under ACO regulations.

So really, Nissan could run any car they wanted... however, they are conspicuously missing. Even Toyota stepped up to the plate this time. But I hope the LF-A gets its *** kicked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 Nurburgring 24 hours