Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 GT2 crash in the Philippines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
better be careful crossing the streets there fern.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:48 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
incorrect MPSCs can survive wet conditions. I use them to race in the rain....its just driver error. sad to see.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 AM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speedoflight
better be careful crossing the streets there fern.

well i get alot of practice nightly. i cross quezon ave to go from SD to HB...

Old 05-29-2008, 03:08 AM
CorsicanBB is infamous around these parts
Sad to see. Really really sad.

Agree with others: insurance only looks expensive until you need it!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by jay_ftw
It'd be nice if hesperus would chime in...
oohhh... just saw this thread now.

actually i commented about this crash on the other thread "997GT2 and friends":

Yup, unfortunate incident yesterday, but all in all, it could have been a lot worse.

While I didn't see the car when the driver lost control, I was there within a few minutes, as I was several km's behind. Weather turned pretty bad suddenly, so everyone in the group slowed down and we were getting ready to turn back (continuing on the drive was pointless by then).

There was a tollway patrol car that happened to be parked right by the road when it happened. I spoke with the patrolman, and he said that the GT2 was not speeding, and the car just seemed to spin on its own. I'm guessing this was just a case of lots of standing water + GT2 on MPSC's = recipe for disaster. (Remember a few months back, one of the editors of CAR Magazine driving a GT3 on the highway in rain at around 70mph found himself upside down in a ditch when the car just spun without provocation)

It's also possible however that there was something else on the road. Shortly after the crash, an SUV did a full 360 degree spin, at almost the same spot that the GT2 lost it. The SUV actually came pretty close to wiping out one of the other cars in our group that had parked by the roadside to render assistance.

Could be a freak coincidence, but maybe there was oil or something else making that section extra treacherous. Who knows?

The car looked pretty bad at first, because the front bumper was pretty badly damaged, and the windshield cracked from the inside from where the passenger side airbag deployed. But aside from the crumpled hood, broken headlights, aircon condenser, and various other cooling items in the nose, it didn't seem to me that there was anything really seriously damaged (i.e., frame damage).

Got word later in the day from Porsche Philippines that they'd checked the car, and the chassis was luckily unscathed. Apart from the "soft" bits hanging off the front, and a misaligned bumper at the rear, the car is ok.

So... driver's ego bruised, and he now has a newfound respect (fear) of the car. Not a bad thing I suppose, when you own one of these brutes.

Most importantly, no one was injured, and the car of course will be fixed before long. Like I said, could have been worse.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:06 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
In the end no one was seriously hurt. I would rather have a bruised ego than a bruised rib or worse.

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate accident. Nothing paint and money can't solve

Old 05-29-2008, 05:20 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by BOYRACER
incorrect MPSCs can survive wet conditions. I use them to race in the rain....its just driver error. sad to see.
i dunno... have you been in one of our rainstorms here in the Phils?

i'm a native New Englander, and never seen any rain over there in the NE that holds a candle to the volume of water that gets dumped during one of the storms here.

now Northern hemisphere snow and ice of course, are different matters entirely!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:10 AM
CorsicanBB is infamous around these parts
Happy ending of sorts, then. Good news!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 AM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jcu
Well for porsche's in the Philippines there's some sort of politics if you can call it that. The Sole Porsche dealer here is a subsidiary of a Insurance company, hence the reason why other insurance company's will be apprehensive to insure Porsche's so most of the porsche's will be insured through the dealer. so since its some what package that way,most would rather spend that extra $12,000 on some more options.

Another reason is Comprehensive insurance (full cover) is not really required to register a car, there are small shady insurance companies usually connected with the employees or the boss in the Land Transportation Office where one would only need a Third Party Liability cover (TPL) cost less than $100.00.

As for other exotics, Ferrari, Lamborghini's and etc. Insurance companies would also be apprehensive because of the lack of service, parts for these cars. Insurance companies work with a blue book based on the prices of automobiles from new and compute depreciation every year to come up with the vehicles present value and from there your annual premium. Since most of these exotics are grey market imports and most are pre owned it would be hard for them to asses a fair amount for repairs if ever they get in to accidents. But of course you could always go to the insurance companies and say "this is a $100k car i want it insured only up to $30k"

Bottom line is most have the mentality of this is basically a weekend car, a car i use once a week or even once every two weeks so no need really for an added expense. But with the addition of new autobhan like highways here and the way enthusiast push their cars on fun runs now a days i think it would be wiser to insure. 5 - 10 years ago most of these cars will only be for cruising the city on sundays!
So are people only allowed to crash during the week?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:10 AM
jcu
jcu is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lager99
So are people only allowed to crash during the week?
i get what you mean! and i totally agree with your logic. but sadly thats the reality here! i was just analyzing the situation and trying to give people a better understanding as to why most high end cars are not insured

oh and all my cars are insured btw, and our family is into insurance!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 AM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hesperus
i dunno... have you been in one of our rainstorms here in the Phils?

i'm a native New Englander, and never seen any rain over there in the NE that holds a candle to the volume of water that gets dumped during one of the storms here.

now Northern hemisphere snow and ice of course, are different matters entirely!!!
Never seen your rain storms, but I have raced in the rain on MPSCs, meaning I had to brake hard, turn hard and drive far quicker than highway speeds on a track and with some careful driving I made it through the race just fine. Yes lots of standing water can make it a very white knuckle drive, this I will agree too, but I do not think you can blame the tires and the car itself. If a driver is careful enough they can make do with MPSCs and rain, especially driving on the street. I once got stuck in my old S2000 on MPSCs in light snow and that was a whole different story. My drive home was a very scary one.

Its unfortunate that he crashed and I am glad he is ok, but I think the accident could have been avoided had the driver had either more seat time, car control or driven a little more carefully. However, that being said, we all make our mistakes and I hope he gets back into a GT2 soon enough.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:19 PM
candyman168 is infamous around these parts
Like I said also, all these over 500hp now available in the market here plus new, wide, smooth highways...having a lot of money is not enough, education and seat time are as valuable. well said, boyracer!

I have my S with 355, and all my non car friends thought, where the hell was I gonna use those HP's in this country!!! Now 500hp...just imagine...

Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Hiro is infamous around these parts
I have been in Manila for the past few days and the weather has been very typical of any tropical countries. In the morning you see sun, and in the afternoon the sky turns dark and the amount of thunder and rain is just incredible. I could see how this can be caused as a result of a sudden change in environment, particularly another SUV almost crashed into the same spot.

Btw, is the city building any subways or alternative transportation systems to solve the traffic issues? I understand that the wealthy probably commute by air (saw the helipads near by the nicer single family residence from hotel) but such a pain for everyone else. Last time it took us 1 hr and 20 min to get from Ortigas to Makati...

Old 05-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Hiro
I understand that the wealthy probably commute by air (saw the helipads near by the nicer single family residence from hotel) but such a pain for everyone else. Last time it took us 1 hr and 20 min to get from Ortigas to Makati...
hmm... you must be staying at one of the hotels in ortigas? i think i know the helipad you're talking about, across from the Galleria mall?

anyway, yeah the traffic is awful isn't it? and no, gov't doesn't have enough money to build a subway system... bet you couldn't believe all the smoke belching public busses crowding the highway and causing the traffic jam

then again, i was in Bangladesh last year, and that does put things into perspective...

Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Hiro is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hesperus
hmm... you must be staying at one of the hotels in ortigas? i think i know the helipad you're talking about, across from the Galleria mall?

anyway, yeah the traffic is awful isn't it? and no, gov't doesn't have enough money to build a subway system... bet you couldn't believe all the smoke belching public busses crowding the highway and causing the traffic jam

then again, i was in Bangladesh last year, and that does put things into perspective...
Yep, staying at Ortigas and our office is in Eastwood. The helipad is inside the residential area and it is right across from the mall. The buses? Did you mean the jeepneys? Found that to be very interesting first time I visited Manila earlier this year. Wonder if those can be imported into the US.

Such a shame that there aren't plans in place to solve the traffic issues. It is only going to get worse and not better without alternatives.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 crash in the Philippines