Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 GT2 crash in the Philippines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:56 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by Hiro
Yep, staying at Ortigas and our office is in Eastwood. The helipad is inside the residential area and it is right across from the mall. The buses? Did you mean the jeepneys? Found that to be very interesting first time I visited Manila earlier this year. Wonder if those can be imported into the US.

Such a shame that there aren't plans in place to solve the traffic issues. It is only going to get worse and not better without alternatives.
my office is right around the corner from the mall. well, both buses and jeepneys!

and those jeepneys would NEVER pass any DOT safety regs for sure!!! hehe

traffic actually used to be worse a few years ago, before they build all the flyovers... wait til the rains really come in a month or so... then rush hour will be extra bad.

anyway, sorry for going OT guys!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Hiro is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hesperus
my office is right around the corner from the mall. well, both buses and jeepneys!

and those jeepneys would NEVER pass any DOT safety regs for sure!!! hehe

traffic actually used to be worse a few years ago, before they build all the flyovers... wait til the rains really come in a month or so... then rush hour will be extra bad.

anyway, sorry for going OT guys!
Haha, still would be fun to see them on the US roads. Very practical design too, easy in and out. Ideal for countries with a lot of traffic. I could see this being used in downtown SF.

With regards to insurance topic, different countries have different industry practices and the US logic doesnt necessarily apply across the board. I am not familiar with Philippines, but in China for example insurance companies do not have enough statistics on the less common cars to be able to provide the risk assessment as well as estimated repair cost to quote an insurance premium. Therefore, what they typically do is to insure up to a certain payoff limit for stolen vehicles, and for accidents, you are required to use their authorized repair shops regardless of level of damage. However, whether this repair shop is capable of doing the repair is for them to decide. You would be paying for a premium that is extremely high, and in addition, you have no guarantee that the car come back in its original shape since you dont know what parts are being used to repair the vehicle. Personally i passed on the coverage as I didnt feel it make too much sense to do so. For less common vehicles, it rarely gets stolen because there is no second hand market for the car or the parts from the car. I assume the same logic applies to Philippines.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
i'm a native New Englander
pare.. im just wondering.. did u grow up and live in NE for a long time?

Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
pare.. im just wondering.. did u grow up and live in NE for a long time?
born there... went to school there (undergrad and graduate school). Bostonian here... Go Celts!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 AM
colonel is infamous around these parts
shouldn't the GT2 driver pull over to side and let the storm pass?

I have driven in heavy rain storm with MSPC when I drove home from DE. I was worried, but I was being very extra careful. I also thought about pulling over to the side or take an exit to a temporary shelter (ie: gas station or McD) to wait for the storm to pass.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BOYRACER
Never seen your rain storms, but I have raced in the rain on MPSCs, meaning I had to brake hard, turn hard and drive far quicker than highway speeds on a track and with some careful driving I made it through the race just fine. Yes lots of standing water can make it a very white knuckle drive, this I will agree too, but I do not think you can blame the tires and the car itself. If a driver is careful enough they can make do with MPSCs and rain, especially driving on the street. I once got stuck in my old S2000 on MPSCs in light snow and that was a whole different story. My drive home was a very scary one.

Its unfortunate that he crashed and I am glad he is ok, but I think the accident could have been avoided had the driver had either more seat time, car control or driven a little more carefully. However, that being said, we all make our mistakes and I hope he gets back into a GT2 soon enough.
I don't think we can conclude anything until we know the circumstances of the crash. According to the original post, the patrolman said that the guy wasn't even speeding.

A crash like that could happen a number of ways, so I don't think it's fair to assume off the bat that the driver just sucked. The GT2 is a pretty capable car, and now with SC and TC, it's got some safety nets... However, even the best drivers in the world crash every now and then with state of the art technology, so who knows...

Old 05-30-2008, 11:35 AM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hamann7
I don't think we can conclude anything until we know the circumstances of the crash. According to the original post, the patrolman said that the guy wasn't even speeding.

A crash like that could happen a number of ways, so I don't think it's fair to assume off the bat that the driver just sucked. The GT2 is a pretty capable car, and now with SC and TC, it's got some safety nets... However, even the best drivers in the world crash every now and then with state of the art technology, so who knows...
I concur...I was only making the statement in regards to people discussing MPSCs as extremely dangerous in the wet. I also did not read that an SUV crashed there moments later. I hope the driver gets into a new car soon....

Old 06-01-2008, 12:05 AM
born there... went to school there (undergrad and graduate school). Bostonian here... Go Celts!!!
but you attended elememtary and HS in pinas? btw, i met up with a few porsche guys this AM. im sure you probably know them

Old 06-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
but you attended elememtary and HS in pinas? btw, i met up with a few porsche guys this AM. im sure you probably know them
yup!

hmmm... did you guys go North on the new Subic-Clark expressway?

if so, then i know who you were with... i got a text message yesterday asking if they have the radar detectors already set up... what else could that mean?

wasn't with the group yesterday, we hit the track instead

Old 06-02-2008, 06:51 PM
yup!

hmmm... did you guys go North on the new Subic-Clark expressway?

if so, then i know who you were with... i got a text message yesterday asking if they have the radar detectors already set up... what else could that mean?

wasn't with the group yesterday, we hit the track instead
actually.. it was a short run and we didnt go to subic. we just stayed local. the drive started at rockwell and we drove to alabang. i had the honor of riding with Gono in his red FordGT. then later mike drove me back to my hotel in is GT3. there were 2 997TT (one white one and one yellow one with the techcart kit and cup seats). i was actually hoping to see your RT12. perhaps next time. overall it was a great drive and meet.

i'll post pictures later tonight when i get home