Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Carrera GT prices...what up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 AM
lob12 is infamous around these parts
Carrera GT prices...what up?

Why are Carrera Gt prices way higher than they were a year ago...exotic market is worse now. Granted, more cars are no longer due to poor drivers but still most cars are listed for 50-75K higher than last year. Any input?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:25 AM
supravi is infamous around these parts
Lob,

I think most of it is due to the weakness of the US Dollar. As such, most exotics are getting swooped up by people with stronger international currencies. Many of the "US" cars, CGT, F-Cars, etc. are getting sent to Dubai, or other countries with economic strength.

Couple that with our dollar's poor strength and the influx of people who just recently started to respect the CGT for the engineering marvel that it is, it's apparent why the prices are so much higher.

Regards:
Ravi

Old 05-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Luxotic
Lob,

I think most of it is due to the weakness of the US Dollar. As such, most exotics are getting swooped up by people with stronger international currencies. Many of the "US" cars, CGT, F-Cars, etc. are getting sent to Dubai, or other countries with economic strength.

Couple that with our dollar's poor strength and the influx of people who just recently started to respect the CGT for the engineering marvel that it is, it's apparent why the prices are so much higher.

Regards:
Ravi
This is a good reason.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Don Relentless is infamous around these parts
prices are up i just got offer 475 for mine and its number 997 black, NO WAY i would sell. look at the f-40 and f-50 now.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:32 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
It's a very special car. The market has corrected itself to where it's going to be for a while (High $390's+)

Old 05-31-2008, 01:53 PM
themarsman is infamous around these parts
I think it is funny, there were a few guys who were claiming that the CGT would be under 200K by now! I guess the market proved them wrong.

The CGT is the greatest car I have ever driven, it is such an amazing car words can't do it justice. Every time I drive the car I can't believe how well Porsche put together this car.

The performance is obvious, but it does this with virtually no compromises. It rides great, air conditioning, stereo, Nav., phone, etc... all works! The only thing I think Porsche missed out on is a system to hydraulically lift the front end to make it easier to get in and out of driveways.

All of this and I can take the top off and enjoy the great weather we are finally seeing in Michigan!

I have driven an Enzo on a couple of occasions and I wouldn't trade my CGT for two of them. Ferrari created a very fast car with a whole bunch of compromises, it isn't in the same league as the CGT. It does have extremely low production numbers and extreme looks though!

I think a good majority of these cars are getting into the hands of people like myself that will NEVER sell the car. So the supply is drying up which is causing the price to rise.

Sorry about this post, it is just a bunch of random thoughts about the CGT.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:18 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by lob12
Granted, more cars are no longer due to poor drivers
People say that about other cars as well (from my personal experience, i hear ford gt guys saying this also), but that effect is negligible if it exists at all. you hear about crashes and stuff because the car is so exotic but the number of wrecks is insignificant even considering the car's rarity.

the trend in upward price isn't a new thing, it's been steadily climbing since dealer inventory ran out.

i agree with themarsman. the number of cars was so few to begin with, and as time goes by more and more of them have settled with owners that have no intention of getting rid of them. i can't imagine a better car than the cgt.

as for poor drivers -- MOST drivers would be over their heads with the cgt.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:20 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by themarsman
The performance is obvious, but it does this with virtually no compromises. It rides great, air conditioning, stereo, Nav., phone, etc... all works!
what is all this stereo, nav, phone stuff you're talking about? i didn't know there was a stereo?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Onibas is infamous around these parts
In Europe at this moment I think ¡¡¡¡UP!!!!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:22 PM
bbs993tt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
what is all this stereo, nav, phone stuff you're talking about? i didn't know there was a stereo?
i've never turned on the stereo in mine. the only noise i need comes from the v-10 right behind the seats.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Auctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Don Relentless
prices are up i just got offer 475 for mine and its number 997 black, NO WAY i would sell. look at the f-40 and f-50 now.

for my sake I hope they go the way of the F40s about 3 years ago
theyve been anywhere from low 300s to a mil +

Im sure the CGT will come down when the dollar pics up and when the 05s warrentee go bye bye. Just how far down we shall see....

Old 06-01-2008, 12:18 AM
jpohl402 is infamous around these partsjpohl402 is infamous around these parts
Good taste in cars marsman!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 AM
cmcjo is infamous around these parts
I must not be advertising my CGT correctly because I haven't received one real offer on my perfect car and its by far priced right..

Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Black V12 is infamous around these parts
Honestly, the upward move in the F50 market is inexplicable to me, given that the other three cars in the "family" are so much stronger (the 288GTO, F40, and Enzo), having driven all four. However, I think the others are right... manufacturers don't really want to sell more volume than they have to in the U.S. with tighter margins and receiving American play money inexchange for their products, let alone private parties. Of friends I know who have sold cars in this part of the market (which I consider basically the market segment more pricey or exotic than, say, the modern Ferrari V8 product line... and including a Miura sale last year), all but one notable car got sold in exchange for dirhams, Hong Kong dollars, or Euros. All the exotics are going overseas where there are people willing to pay higher prices with real currencies. As for cmcjo's assertion that advertising in the problem, most of the cars I've seen move in this part of the market have gone to friends of friends, a partner at the same firm who has always liked the car, etc. I wouldn't fault your advertising, but in my experience it's your Rolodex and not your classified ads that will get a car to its new home.

As for the CGT market in particular, the "settled owner" comment is right on. The same thing happened with Enzos in asia for about six months when most were in the hands of notorious collectors (before many Euro cars were shipped to Hong Kong and elsewhere). I suspect the upward trend will be sustained in the CGT market, however, as the group of people involved is generally less speculative and more enthusiastic about the vehicle than the Enzo market was at that time.

Last edited by Black V12; 06-01-2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: adding material
Old 06-01-2008, 10:12 AM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by themarsman
I think it is funny, there were a few guys who were claiming that the CGT would be under 200K by now! I guess the market proved them wrong.

The CGT is the greatest car I have ever driven, it is such an amazing car words can't do it justice. Every time I drive the car I can't believe how well Porsche put together this car.

The performance is obvious, but it does this with virtually no compromises. It rides great, air conditioning, stereo, Nav., phone, etc... all works! The only thing I think Porsche missed out on is a system to hydraulically lift the front end to make it easier to get in and out of driveways.

All of this and I can take the top off and enjoy the great weather we are finally seeing in Michigan!

I have driven an Enzo on a couple of occasions and I wouldn't trade my CGT for two of them. Ferrari created a very fast car with a whole bunch of compromises, it isn't in the same league as the CGT. It does have extremely low production numbers and extreme looks though!

I think a good majority of these cars are getting into the hands of people like myself that will NEVER sell the car. So the supply is drying up which is causing the price to rise.

Sorry about this post, it is just a bunch of random thoughts about the CGT.
Interesting...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT prices...what up?