Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

CGT... good investment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
I've been waiting for FGT's to start coming down to 130 or 140, but they are holding steady at 165 and up. WTF?
the fgt is interesting. it is relatively cheap, and it strikes a chord in older guys that like its history (well, not its history but its namesake and template). there are numerous folks that own multiple fgt's. lots of custom parts are available.

not only is the car itself "cheap", it's cheap to operate. it may be the best example of a modern american supercar that exists. even the new zr1 doesn't really hold a candle to the fgt.

i don't know the full story on fgt pricing, but i think that like the cgt, they are starting to settle into the hands of buyers that are keeping them, thus reducing supply.

i think it will be awhile before they get down to 140. if ever.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:21 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
the fgt is interesting. it is relatively cheap, and it strikes a chord in older guys that like its history (well, not its history but its namesake and template). there are numerous folks that own multiple fgt's. lots of custom parts are available.

not only is the car itself "cheap", it's cheap to operate. it may be the best example of a modern american supercar that exists. even the new zr1 doesn't really hold a candle to the fgt.

i don't know the full story on fgt pricing, but i think that like the cgt, they are starting to settle into the hands of buyers that are keeping them, thus reducing supply.

i think it will be awhile before they get down to 140. if ever.
Agreed on both ends.... And hopefully the GT2's and 3's started holding steady too, we need good enthusiasts snatching these cars up!

Old 06-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Cedric is infamous around these parts
Don't mean to sound negative, as much as i love the carrera GT, i dont think it will go up in value like the Ferrari supercars for instance. They just built too many (which is a good thing).
Take the 959, its even rarer than the CGT, but values have been steady for years.

Last edited by Cedric; 06-07-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:36 AM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
If you mean can you drive it for cheap? I would say cheaper then most from a percentage standpoint, but maybe not in terms of dollars.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:31 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
Seth,

Cars, as "an asset class" don't outperform inflation. You need to own a leasing company that owns the cars and etc... Lease them back from the company... get a guy to take care of the cars for you and etc... to "make money" on owning cars... It's like fine art. To do THAT right, you have less work to do but it's still a market that rises and falls. Cars "as an investment" are a messy, heavily involved business with entities and maintenance and etc... even when standing still, they require maintenance, startups, fluid changes, etc... It's the "last asset" that someone generally begins collecting because the price of admission is so high.

PM me for more if you like... I can show you where it could *potentially* fit in for you, if you want to go down that road.

SY

Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Black V12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SlowMotion
or heaven forbid, a chevy!
Umm... no, it won't be as bad as a Chevy, given that I'm convinced one of GM's strategies has always been to make cars that are so worthless used that your only option other than throwing it in a landfill is to trade it for another GM vehicle.

I say this as someone who has owned fifteen cars but never owned a car that wasn't built within a time zone or two of GMT.