Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

CGT... good investment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:53 AM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
CGT... good investment?

I've been watching the prices of CGT's inch back up over the last few years.

Do you think it will continue? Will these cars hold their values? Would this be the first car I bought that actually didn't depreciate?

Opinions please!

Seth

Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
cgt, like almost any car, is a poor investment. that really should go without saying. i question the "investor" that asks the question. don't buy it for investment value, and don't buy it using the justification that it may actually appreciate. if it just so happens to appreciate, it'll just be a nice bonus. i personally think the car won't appreciate enough (if at all) to match inflation and fixed operating cost (e.g. insurance, taxes).

please also consider that warranties are about to expire.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by SlowMotion
I've been watching the prices of CGT's inch back up over the last few years.
years? i've only seen it in the past 18 months. about 16-18 months ago seems to have been the low point.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
cgt, like almost any car, is a poor investment. that really should go without saying. i question the "investor" that asks the question. don't buy it for investment value, and don't buy it using the justification that it may actually appreciate. if it just so happens to appreciate, it'll just be a nice bonus. i personally think the car won't appreciate enough (if at all) to match inflation and fixed operating cost (e.g. insurance, taxes).

please also consider that warranties are about to expire.
No ****... the question is, will it be a complete *** raping like buying a benz or a late model Porsche, or heaven forbid, a chevy! The cost of driving and insuring is one thing, losing the typical 30% after rolling in it for a year is another thing.

I should have said is a CGT "a good investment as far as cars go"...

Seth.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
years? i've only seen it in the past 18 months. about 16-18 months ago seems to have been the low point.
No ****... they have been going up for a year and half... I said I've been watching them for a few years.

Seth.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:21 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Not as good as F40, F50 or enzo.
Prolly better than all other cars.

I think the warranty expiry is a canard. It's proved itself to be as bulletproof as the TT.

Seems to be very sensitive to mileage and color.

Drive one and determine your sex. I've driven a lot of nice cars. CGT is truly a supercar.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:47 AM
LABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of light
FGT could be a decent option too if you don't want to lose your ****.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by LABrit
FGT could be a decent option too if you don't want to lose your ****.
I had one of those, it was fun, I drove it a few thousand miles and traded it back in for what I paid for it. It had lots I didn't like though, that made it less useful than I would have liked.

Seth

Old 06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
LABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of light
Also, if you're too worried about loosing out on it while you own it it will not only be a bad investment in terms of it's value, but also in terms of enjoyment - only you can decide whether its worth it.

What an awful problem to have!

Old 06-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jamie
Not as good as F40, F50 or enzo.
I agree.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
I rarely ever sell anything, so resale value is somewhat un-important to me. For me the CGT would be a keeper, but even so, I'd hate to buy high and feel like I got screwed in the cars equity. I guess you have to decide for yourself if it will be a keeper or not, and how much your willing to sacrifice for the enjoyment of use.

Since I am also interested in purchasing a CGT, and I've noticed prices creeping up but can't get a grip on why? Normally cars, exotics and classics (which I am VERY familiar with), follow housing and Wall Street, but the CGT is defying that right now, and that's what bothers me about potential resale value. I have a gut feeling that it will at some point in the near future drop back to where it was 16-18 months ago unless we see a quick and dramatic turn-around in the economy soon.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:35 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
I've been waiting for FGT's to start coming down to 130 or 140, but they are holding steady at 165 and up. WTF?

Old 06-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Mariof430 is infamous around these parts
Buy the car you want, and can afford Enjoy it and when the day comes something else strikes your fancy get rid of it if you make a little money on the sale it's a bonus and if you loose some OH well but don't try to buy for investment reasons buy to enjoy!!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I had one of those [FGT], it was fun, I drove it a few thousand miles and traded it back in for what I paid for it. It had lots I didn't like though, that made it less useful than I would have liked.
same here! here in cali we pay tax on the full amount of purchase (not purchase less trade-in, like many states), so i did lose out there ($15k or so) but the car itself did hold its value.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 PM
I should have said is a CGT "a good investment as far as cars go"...
i think so.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CGT... good investment?