Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997 GT2 pricing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 AM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Let us know who these dealers are. Some of us (including myself) have friends that will pay over for one right now!

Old 06-14-2008, 10:18 AM
wantone is infamous around these parts
Carlsen Motors has 2 now. Both black, 1 new, 1 with 355miles.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:49 AM
turbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura about
I will pay MSRP but my dealer can't even get an allocation for a GT2. I can wait because the prices will fall as some else said this is not a Ferrari.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Kuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by turbodickie
I will pay MSRP but my dealer can't even get an allocation for a GT2. I can wait because the prices will fall as some else said this is not a Ferrari.
Agreed......Ferrari has been in the over msrp game a long time. Time enough to perfect it. Porsche is late to the game......and with the sagging economy.......they will not be quick to catch up.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:11 PM
WildBill is infamous around these parts
For those of you looking, Hoehn Porsche in Carlsbad, CA just got a beauty in. I was going to buy it but I passed and went with the RS instead. Call Chris Strole at 760-438-4434. It was available a couple of days ago but I'm sure it will go quick.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:14 PM
sws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of lightsws1 is a glorious beacon of light
My east coast dealer (NJ) has 2 (I think). Both 40k over.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:37 PM
FooFighterRS4 is infamous around these parts
For those interested. There's a silver with black wheels GT2 at Rusnak Westlake. I'me pretty sure they are asking for 40K over. The car is pretty amazing. Ask for Paul, he's a really good guy. No affiliation.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 AM
TheCreditMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheCreditMan has a spectacular aura aboutTheCreditMan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2
So, I now have gotten a second Porsche dealer to offer me a well optioned 997 GT2 at MSRP, for a total of $202K - I have never been anywhere on a list for this model and don't want it. Is this something specific to the east coast, which I doubt, or are customers that originally ordered these cars dropping like flies? Why this discrepancy?

This is no BS.

-Gerry

GT3 RS Clubsport
"No B.S.", huh? Then why not disclose where?

Old 06-15-2008, 09:54 AM
smadja is infamous around these parts
lol... demand is not dropping, not for these cars.

3 factors contribute (economist hat on) that will keep these values up:

1) the rich are always rich. They don't care what is going on in the economy from a personal point of view ( I don't mena for their company). It's the smae with real estate. Though the medium to low value real estate is dropping, the high end studd isn't budging.

2) there are more rich people now in the US than ever, even with the slowing US economy.

3) the US economy doesn't matter for these cars.
Worldwide economy is not slowing, it's growing like gang busters, and there are more rich peopel abroad now than ever. There is a limited production of these cars worldwide, and guess what, with a low $, it is cheaper for them to buy it here and import it to their country...

So, no sticker car to be found anywhere on a GT2 or GT3 RS

Old 06-15-2008, 01:22 PM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Like many Ferrari dealers, some Porsche dealers have 'preferred' customers. I have bought more than 12 911s from 2 dealers for over 2 decades now. I also have friends who would like to have these GT2 allocations.

My original post was about pricing, not offering cars for sale. I have had a 3rd dealer offer me $$ for referral to these allocations. Sorry - this is not my gig.

If you think this is BS, I don't care.

-Gerry

GT3 RS Clubsport

Old 06-15-2008, 02:17 PM
cnc
Awaiting Email Confirmation
cnc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2
Like many Ferrari dealers, some Porsche dealers have 'preferred' customers. I have bought more than 12 911s from 2 dealers for over 2 decades now. I also have friends who would like to have these GT2 allocations.

My original post was about pricing, not offering cars for sale. I have had a 3rd dealer offer me $$ for referral to these allocations. Sorry - this is not my gig.

If you think this is BS, I don't care.

-Gerry

GT3 RS Clubsport
I believe you.

Like you, I was also offered a GT2 at MSRP, and I turned it down; favoring the RS. I owned, concurrently, the 996 GT2 and 3 (for 4 years)

Historically, the 996 GT2 was offered before the 996 GT3 and created more excitement, for both track and HP "junkies" since the 996 GT2 was also highly tunable.

With the advent of the 996 GT3 the potential 996 GT2 audience shrunk, because the the track guys were attracted to the attributes of the GT3. Then the 997 GT3/RS came along (before the 997 GT2 (a reverse situation!)), substantially improved, and expanded the track interest. Further, the technology in the 997 GT2 make it harder to tune; potentially diminishing its appeal to that segment of interest as well. So in essence, you have a car with smaller market interest; hence smaller production numbers.

Combining all the above (shrinking audience) with the "pricing" history of the 996 GT2, a slowing economy, increased competition it is easy to prognosticate about the inability of the car to hold the premium, or even MSRP. I have no doubt the Dealers will get MSRP, but were I to break down and buy one I would have no expectation of even recovering MSRP, never mind the premium.

The Dealer strategy (and collusion) of jacking up the prices may work for them for a very short period; especially to an impulsive buyer, but given the small initial market it is not sustainable.

As always the car should be bought for the enjoyment it will deliver; not the financial return.

It is a special car for a limited use, and user. If it fits, it is an outstanding car, and aesthetically beautiful.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Chris Huck is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the referrals guys. Sorry to report both of my GT2s were custom ordered, built and delivered last week. I only posted pictures because I thought it was neat to compare the look of the black wheels v/s the grey. Didn't mean to infer they were for sale.

Best wishes to anyone looking. If I could find one at MSRP, I'd pay it personally. In fact, if anyone wants to sell us their used 2008 GT2 now, I'll pay over sticker to get it!

Old 06-15-2008, 03:28 PM
cnc
Originally Posted by Chris Huck
Thanks for the referrals guys. Sorry to report both of my GT2s were custom ordered, built and delivered last week. I only posted pictures because I thought it was neat to compare the look of the black wheels v/s the grey. Didn't mean to infer they were for sale.

Best wishes to anyone looking. If I could find one at MSRP, I'd pay it personally. In fact, if anyone wants to sell us their used 2008 GT2 now, I'll pay over sticker to get it!
If you (Dealership) sold your GT2s over sticker I am sure you feel compelled to publicly say that, especially since Pioneers customers might be feeling a little sore, from the "physical activity" they went through on the purchase transaction.

The prices your offering over sticker, is this with or without Management's approval? (Past transactions have always required your Manager's approval).

Too bad, because Pioneer was a great Dealership until they got into the above MSRP game, and blew off their long time customers.

Carlsen might sell you one of theirs, they are also still looking for "suckers" to pay over MSRP.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Chris Huck is infamous around these parts
Used car manager is Hayden Howe. He confirmed ready and willing to "pay over MSRP" for 2008 GT2. How much more will depend on what we feel we can sell it for based on colors, options etc.. If you have one and want to sell it, call 858-695-3000. I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules as I'm not trying to sell anything!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:42 PM
cnc
Well given the common wisdom that they all will sell for $50K over, then an offer to purchase for a quick Dealer flip at $40K would seem like a win/win (and make the used car manager very happy).

Anybody turned their GT2 back $40K over yet?

I suspect not, because all the stories will begin: a) like the color is not right b) management doesn't allow us to pay over invoice c) there are still new ones available d) we can do a Dealer trade for less.

Get the soap out!

Anyway, like I said if the GT2 fits your needs, buy it at any price you want.

But if you pay over MSRP, and it turns out to be a "lemon" what will PCNA have to say about the premium you paid?

Will PCNA (legally they are obliged, I think) pay the premium or will the Dealer pay it?, Further, if it is a problem car (over MSRP) the Dealer may not have your best interests at heart when it comes to dealing with PCNA, because he (Dealer) may have to eat the "premium" in the form of a chargeback from PCNA.

I am not suggesting the GT2 is problematic, just pointing out some of the potential hidden problems with paying over MSRP and the conflicts which aren't apparent.

For the above reasons (and many more) I would never pay over MSRP. If PCNA thinks the car is worth more then let them take the lead (and save me hassle, if it is a lemon).