Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Looking to buy new tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HKE46Boy
Kev,

PM sent!
PM replied, check your inbox Simon.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:41 PM
fcracer is infamous around these partsfcracer is infamous around these parts
For those with sensitive ears, I've found my Toyo R888's to be a loud highway tire depending on the highway's construction. They sound ok on asphalt, but sound like a bad wheelbearing on almost any other surface. This is after they've worn in a bit; brand new, they were quiet.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Andrew D. is infamous around these parts
Toyo RA-1s.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:22 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Looking for the same performance as Cups but longer lasting? Then get PS2s... Believe me, the PS2 and PSCup in 19" is basically the same compound. I found out the hard way by buying a set of the Cups for the track. I've been tracking PS2s, PSCups (18" real ones and the 19" Porsche version), RA1s, etc. The 19" Cup is "reformulated" for better cold and wet performance - reading between the lines and verified by my track use, I believe they used PS2 compound but you only get 5-6/32nds instead of 10. When you look at the design compared with a "real" 18 or 19" Cup you can easily see they aren't the same - the rain channels on the Porsche 19" Cup are about twice as wide, meaning you are losing that much contact patch.

I also compared some traqmate data such as lateral G, braking G, etc. and sure enough, the 19" Porsche Cup was right on with the PS2 and below the RA1, "real" cup, etc.

Then consider the full tread depth, the superior rain performance, etc. and the PS2 really is the better tire to have on a GT3. I pick up my GT3 on Thursday and on Friday I'll be having a set of PS2s put on the OEM wheels and will burn through the OEM Cups on my race wheels I already have, then the Corsas coming with the GT3, and when I finally buy a new set of 19s for the track only, they will be R888s.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 PM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RonCT
. . . I pick up my GT3 on Thursday and on Friday I'll be having a set of PS2s put on the OEM wheels and will burn through the OEM Cups on my race wheels I already have, then the Corsas coming with the GT3, and when I finally buy a new set of 19s for the track only, they will be R888s.
WOW! you are going to love the GT3! Unbelievable change from the C2S. Let us know your impressions when you take your first drive.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
bad news guys.. i contacted my local wheel works and they say that the pricing on Tire Rack for the Corsas are NOT correct. the real pricing is in the $720 range.

has anyone contacted Tire Rack about there $570 corsas?

Old 06-17-2008, 03:41 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
bad news guys.. i contacted my local wheel works and they say that the pricing on Tire Rack for the Corsas are NOT correct. the real pricing is in the $720 range.

has anyone contacted Tire Rack about there $570 corsas?

hehehe told ya.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:18 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
I guess the Corsas won't be on my list for sure.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:33 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ///M Kevin
I guess the Corsas won't be on my list for sure.
ps2's are "porsche approved" tires.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by speedoflight
ps2's are "porsche approved" tires.
I'm leaning toward that direction. What about you?

Old 06-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by ///M Kevin
I'm leaning toward that direction. What about you?
corsas. that's only 'cos my fronts are still good.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:26 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
If you are not going to track the car the PS2 is the way to go for a street tire. I have the corsas now, its a super tire, but I track my car more that street drive it so, no way I am paying 500 plus a tire for DE's. I have settled on the Toyo R888, good wet and dry and good if you are going to drive to the track. this is the best prices I could find.
http://www.tiredeals4less.com/TOYO_P...789.cfm?Page=3

Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
these dont sound so bad

TOYO Proxes R888 305 30ZR19 102Y

Width: 305
Aspect Ratio: 30
Rim: 19
UTQG: 100 AA A
Additional Information: Click Here

Item #:168000
Your Price - $389.25

Old 06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
i would go for r888s if i were changing all 4.

i was told tire prices follows crude oil...

Old 06-17-2008, 08:01 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Alright guys, let's understand just how good PS2s are... At Lime Rock and Watkins Glen when I'm "rusty" from a long winter, I tend to do my first DEs on PS2s and save the R-comps for later in the season. Also, it tends to rain, snow, be 26 degrees, etc. when I start in March, so the PS2s are better all around. What I've found over the years is the PS2 gives about 1.4 G braking and 1.5 G lateral (cornering) grip. The "Porsche approved" quasi-R-comp tires (cups for example) give... drum roll please... 1.4 G braking and 1.5 G lateral. True R-comps like non-Porsche Cups, R888, etc. are in the 1.5 braking and 1.6 G lateral. Stickier, yes, but only making a difference at 10/10. Any benefit on the street? Zero - just wasting your money and taking more risk.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy new tires