Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Michelin Tweel (airless tire)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Michelin Tweel (airless tire)

So I have been told that these are coming in the near future... the Michelin Tweel

Is this the end of checking pressures and tire temps at the track?

Thought you all might enjoy the pics

Old 06-19-2008, 10:50 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
They are funky looking. I have seen this on another forum a couple years back.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 AM
///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough
I've seen these before aswell...cool idea but how would I put a nice set of wheels on it?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 AM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about
I Would Put Some On My Suv's..................if They Make 24" Or Bigger

Old 06-19-2008, 12:05 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
those will definitely resolve tpm issues.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:16 PM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
I have seen these before but I still can't get over the "transparent" look of the tires while in motion.

Since the tire (tweel) is part of the suspension these might change the way suspensions are designed. Assuming they perform better than tires built with traditional construction techniques, granted a big assumption, the potential ramifications are considerable.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:26 PM
auto-xr is infamous around these parts
Any ideas on the weight?

Old 06-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Greenjack is infamous around these parts
Those are goofy looking

Old 06-20-2008, 12:25 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Any idea how tread and flexible spoke are bonded? When tread is worn, can tread alone be changed without changing flexible spoke and the metal spoke? If so, there is less land fill and probably cheaper to change tires. Great idea if we don't get tread seperation issue.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:51 AM
ksxxsk is infamous around these parts
This is definitely a step backwards in terms of technology.

Air is a MUCH MUCH better filler for tires than rubber spokes. It is more compressible, has more spring-like properties, etc.

The only advantage I can see it you would not have to worry about getting a flat--but then again you'd have to worry about broken spokes.

If you take a look at the pics, they show a HUGE contact patch with the road. That's going to mean poor performance and poorer gas mileage.

Different cars have different pressures specified for optimum performance. How do they plan to vary the contact patch for different cars? Different spoke stiffness?

Also, these tires will never corner as well as a tire filled with air. You are dealing with millions of molecules that can conform to the change in tire shape whereas you have possibly 100 spokes at most to conform to the change in shape. And the molecules can conform in any axis whereas the spokes are limited to one axis.

Nice exercise, but I doubt it will see commercial applications. Maybe some far-fetched apps where tire pressure would be a problem.

I bet some chump at Michelin who has never taken Physics or Chemistry thought he just made the discovery of the century...

Last edited by ksxxsk; 06-20-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:53 AM
neilwight is infamous around these parts
am i missing something, a huge contact patch means poor performance. man i better go and get those wide 18s off the back of my porsche and get some ultra thin wheels in there.
all this time thinking that more rubber on the tarmac was a good thing

Old 06-20-2008, 11:18 AM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ksxxsk
This is definitely a step backwards in terms of technology.

Air is a MUCH MUCH better filler for tires than rubber spokes. It is more compressible, has more spring-like properties, etc.

The only advantage I can see it you would not have to worry about getting a flat--but then again you'd have to worry about broken spokes.

If you take a look at the pics, they show a HUGE contact patch with the road. That's going to mean poor performance and poorer gas mileage.

Different cars have different pressures specified for optimum performance. How do they plan to vary the contact patch for different cars? Different spoke stiffness?

Also, these tires will never corner as well as a tire filled with air. You are dealing with millions of molecules that can conform to the change in tire shape whereas you have possibly 100 spokes at most to conform to the change in shape. And the molecules can conform in any axis whereas the spokes are limited to one axis.

Nice exercise, but I doubt it will see commercial applications. Maybe some far-fetched apps where tire pressure would be a problem.

I bet some chump at Michelin who has never taken Physics or Chemistry thought he just made the discovery of the century...

Never say never- a diesel race car? unthinkable <10 years ago...... let alone one winning the 24 hours of LeMans for 3 consecutive years (2006, 2007, 2008).

I wouldn't bet against alternative technologies usurping the pneumatic tire.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:53 PM
wct8920 is infamous around these parts
I'd like to know more about this, they sure are ugly though

Old 06-20-2008, 02:03 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
It's a Michelin experiment. Don't look for production anytime soon.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 06-21-2008, 08:03 AM
G997 is infamous around these parts
I love the leading edge technology
I hate the look

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Tweel (airless tire)