Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

WHY?? Do I read car mags??? car and driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:15 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
i still enjoy car and driver the most - the subjective numbers don't mean too much to me - i really dislike the overall format of the magazine every since they switched up about a year ago or more now, but overall it's my favorite of the 3 i subscribe too - car and driver, road and track and motor trend which is the worst of the 3

Old 07-06-2008, 07:01 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
I could swear that one of the big 3 car mags had the GT2 as the best car ever made. Just a couple months later it's inferior to a GT-R.

I think they pump up one car so a cheaper, faster, more advertised car can beat it.

Think about the conflict of interest. The reports influence the buying public more than the adds that the car manufactures place in the mags.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:16 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I think the "fun factor" and "gotta have it" are the useless columns. There have been way too many cars that have won the price bases on these columns. As well unless you are talking about entry level econo cars get ride of the "rebates/extras" column. Judge the car on its merits and not the subjective input from the journalist.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
conflict of interest
NO KIDDING!! Lets put it this way. IF Car And Driver were the government and the Car companies were the contractors in the modern day Department of Defense. EVERY Car And Driver (and Road and Track and Motor Trend) guy would be in prison facing life imprisonment on consecutive (not concurrent) terms for infractions so dastardly that they would NEVER see the light of day again!!! unless it was from
the window in the license Plate making room.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:59 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
And they voted the M3 better than the GT-R and 997 TT and Z06.

The mags are now voted on based on their viability for soccer moms and dads with kids.

The single guy or one who doesnt need to take his kids in their sports car is no longer considered. They are pathetic. But somehow this stuff must be selling. Maybe they cater to whichever car will sell the largest number of vehicles and therefore garner the people interested in the car to pick it up from mag stands.

A crying shame.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
They need to sell issues and satisfy advertisers (companies other than Porsche).
It's amusing to read some of these things.

tw

Old 07-06-2008, 11:00 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
I can't believe the times of the GTR in that mag, they are SO slow compared to what it "should" be running, wasn't it at 12.9 or something with the 1/4 and 4 seconds to 60, couldn't believe it

Old 07-06-2008, 11:15 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Dave now that the REAL GT-R is showing up and not just Test Mules, Physics is starting to win back what it should have had before. We were talking about that in the
GT3 forum on Rennlist and a bunch of ricer boys came over there and said we were whining. Now that the truth is coming out, turns out that we werent "whining"

Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Dave now that the REAL GT-R is showing up and not just Test Mules, Physics is starting to win back what it should have had before. We were talking about that in the
GT3 forum on Rennlist and a bunch of ricer boys came over there and said we were whining. Now that the truth is coming out, turns out that we werent "whining"
LOL, that is awesome, made me truly laugh out loud - can you post a link for that thread over on rennlist?

I was extremely surprised to read those times actually, but is there any reason for the difference, was the engine of the mules highly modified or what?!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:16 AM
I think I started it. Something like "Now the real truth is coming out the GT-R."
or something like that. Search my name Old Guy too.
Man we got slammed for being Porsche lovers etc etc WELL DUH!!! Its a PORSCHE forum!!!. I thought for a minute I was at a Obama speech!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
RidinBimmerz is infamous around these parts
This reminds me of the article in C&D I recently read where the E92 M3 places 1st above the 997 Turbo and the GTR.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Ritesh is infamous around these parts
C&D used to be my favorite American car mag. It is not in the same league as the European mags but it USED to be my fav.

I am just sticking with winding road now. Its free and its online. Can't beat that.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OldGuy
I think I started it. Something like "Now the real truth is coming out the GT-R."
or something like that. Search my name Old Guy too.
Man we got slammed for being Porsche lovers etc etc WELL DUH!!! Its a PORSCHE forum!!!. I thought for a minute I was at a Obama speech!!!
You the man!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
I hove found that just like with most everything in life, you get what you pay for. I always get surprised looks when I go to buy EVO at the book store every month because it is so much for a magazine (It is $11.25 now), but the articles are SOOOOO much better than anything else out there. I have not had the chance to own a truely awesome car yet, but with the passion that they write with I almost feel as though I have. You can tell the difference between writers who are paid to do a job and those who are lucky enough to get paid to do what they love. End of story. I especially love the long term test of the Lamborghini LP and the Murci. It is interesting to read what it is like to use cars like this on a daily basis. I honestly did not think that the current crop of true supercars was capable of going 45,000 mi with out fallling apart. Guess that I was proved wrong.

I will agree though that Winding Road has surprised me with the article quality. It is especially good when you factor in that it is a free magazine. Though I hope you will always have the option for a hard copy of a magazine, it definitely seems to be a preview of the future.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Dr J is infamous around these parts
to the OP:

did you miss the part where they mentioned the $100K + price differential between the GT2 and the GTR?

The price is what gave the GT2 2nd place. Only 0.00001% of the general population can afford to buy or hope to buy a GT2..... whereas the GTR is best bang for the buck.

How can you argue against?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WHY?? Do I read car mags??? car and driver?