Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

CF/FRP wing blade for GT3 installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ray
The spoiler is CF layer with FPR construction. Sine all CF parts are hand made and is difficult to have it perfect in every weave. This 45 degree twill cloth show the imperfection wave more than pain cloth patten (AKA 997 int. CF patten).
you mean FRP? in anycase, i've seen several 2x2 twill that is straight as an arrow. im attaching a picture of the RS tail which is also FRP with CF overlay.

A fibre-reinforced plastic (FRP) (also Fibre-reinforced polymer) is a composite material comprising a polymer matrix reinforced with fibres. The fibers are usually fiberglass, carbon, or aramid, while the polymer is usually an epoxy, vinylester or polyester thermosetting plastic. FRPs are commonly used in the aerospace, automotive, marine, and construction industries.

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 PM
G997 is infamous around these parts
The weave looks crooked to me

Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Deuce1 is infamous around these parts
Wing looks great man!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Former Vendor
johnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to beholdjohnb@macarbon is a splendid one to behold
The black CF looks nice with the red exterior. However, the weave is of very poor quality. If that was the bottom it might be OK I guess but not for the top. But then the cost was pretty low. Twill carbon (996 style) is actually easier to laminate with than standard carbon (997 style) - that's why you see so much of it. Sorry to be critical.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by johnb@macarbon
The black CF looks nice with the red exterior. However, the weave is of very poor quality. If that was the bottom it might be OK I guess but not for the top. But then the cost was pretty low. Twill carbon (996 style) is actually easier to laminate with than standard carbon (997 style) - that's why you see so much of it. Sorry to be critical.
i agree with you. i've seen some CF made in china look better then that...

Old 07-16-2008, 01:40 AM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Daytonaviolet
you mean FRP? in anycase, i've seen several 2x2 twill that is straight as an arrow. im attaching a picture of the RS tail which is also FRP with CF overlay.

A fibre-reinforced plastic (FRP) (also Fibre-reinforced polymer) is a composite material comprising a polymer matrix reinforced with fibres. The fibers are usually fiberglass, carbon, or aramid, while the polymer is usually an epoxy, vinylester or polyester thermosetting plastic. FRPs are commonly used in the aerospace, automotive, marine, and construction industries.

I think I've seen this blade before.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 AM
CarGuy56 is infamous around these parts
looks good on red, but not a fan of the crooked cf lines...it probably look better if made in the 997-style 1x1 cf pattern..imo

Old 07-16-2008, 03:37 AM
fcracer is infamous around these partsfcracer is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually kinda like the crooked lines of the CF because it looks more hand-made and real, haha. As noted, the price is very reasonable and it fits and works very well, however I'll give the feedback on the crooked weave to the manufacturer.

For those that asked where I bought it from, I'm not sure of the forum rules and out of respect for forum sponsors, I'll PM you the details. I do believe that I was one of the first, if not the first to buy this part from the manufacturer so they likely have further evolutions/refinement of the product.

In a post in this thread, someone mentioned that the RS wing is FRP with a carbon overlay. Is that true? I thought the RS wing was full CF?

Last edited by fcracer; 07-16-2008 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:52 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
i think it looks good, despite the crooked lines. your going to make me get one on my 3

Old 07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by fcracer
Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually kinda like the crooked lines of the CF because it looks more hand-made and real, haha. As noted, the price is very reasonable and it fits and works very well, however I'll give the feedback on the crooked weave to the manufacturer.

For those that asked where I bought it from, I'm not sure of the forum rules and out of respect for forum sponsors, I'll PM you the details. I do believe that I was one of the first, if not the first to buy this part from the manufacturer so they likely have further evolutions/refinement of the product.

In a post in this thread, someone mentioned that the RS wing is FRP with a carbon overlay. Is that true? I thought the RS wing was full CF?
No, it's not full CF.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by fcracer
yeah i was shocked to find this out myself. upon my RS decklid installation, you can clearly see that the center of the CF wing is some composite material. perhaps its FRP or SMC (sheet moulding compound ), but cant be too sure. but the outside is 100% CF overlay

Attached Images  

Last edited by Daytonaviolet; 07-16-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:05 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
I got my CF blade from GMG the weave is absolutely perfect. Not to mention that the blade comes with an ADDITIONAL gurney flap which improves HP just as the lower one does. But the price was more. It looks fabulous.

Last edited by OldGuy; 07-16-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the weave isn't straight because it didn't cost $3,500

Old 07-16-2008, 06:51 PM
rufstuf is infamous around these parts
Beside the weight saving, the beauty of CF is the weave. It got to be tight and uniform.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by OldGuy
I got my CF blade from GMG the weave is absolutely perfect. Not to mention that the blade comes with an ADDITIONAL gurney flap which improves HP just as the lower one does. But the price was more. It looks fabulous.

thats some perfect weave oldguy

Last edited by Daytonaviolet; 07-16-2008 at 11:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CF/FRP wing blade for GT3 installed