Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Not liking my new tires. Advice please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:58 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Corsa TW-60
PS2 TW-220
Corsa are 100% better than PS2,they wear faster but the grip of this Pirellis is really amazing.

Like Mr.**** said you downgraded the tires.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:05 PM
RasrGirl is infamous around these parts
I went from the MIchelin Pilot SPort Cups after 2 sets and feeling them get greasy quickly (once they hit the sweet spot it's bye-bye baby, they deterioate quickly. I got turned on to the R888s GREAT TRACK tire & street tire..... always checking psi and keeping them "warm", and finally purchased track wheels (18inch with the proper offsets for my brake package w/Hoosiers on them). I had run a car with Hoosiers and loved how those felt as well. But of course can't drive them on the street.

Some people like the MIchelins, I personally dont. I think you would love the R888s. that's my 3 cents worth ;-)

Old 07-26-2008, 04:57 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Lots of guys are starting to like the R888s I think thats my next tire to trye
+1

Old 07-27-2008, 12:10 AM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for all the advice on the tires. I can only assume they'll get better once they scrub in because I've run lesser tires on sedans that feel and respond better. If they still $uck, I'll pull them and save them for rainy season.

Question though .... you really can't get temps into tires on the street so it stands to reason that a street tire may perform better on the street than a track tire since they are optimzied to perform better at lower temps. This was my thinking anyway. Flawed logic? Or is an R-compound tire going to still out perform a hi-perf street tire like the PS2 even when cold. My experience tells me not, but if it's true that the Corsa is a somewhere in between for good cold temp grip, then that changes things.

Also, for folks thinking about PS2s, take note of this thread. Virtually, every thread I've seen has folks raving about how great the PS2s are so they seemed like a no-brainer, then I get them, don't like them (so far), and then all the gremlins come out of the woodwork talking about what a downgrade they are etc. Perhaps I'll go back to the Corsas since I liked them. I'm tempted to get the 888s like everybody is suggesting here but then I'll probably have to listen to everybody tell me how much they $uck as soon as I have them mounted. Tires aren't cheap and I know and like the Corsas.

Last edited by rja; 07-27-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:27 AM
smiler51 is infamous around these parts
It's an unfair comparison though ;-) If you want to compare the Pirelli Corsa's, you should rate them against Michelin Pilot Cups.

People rave about the PS2's as a fantastic max performance tire and not R-compound tire.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:05 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by smiler51
It's an unfair comparison though ;-) If you want to compare the Pirelli Corsa's, you should rate them against Michelin Pilot Cups.

People rave about the PS2's as a fantastic max performance tire and not R-compound tire.
Right

Old 07-27-2008, 07:09 AM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
That's a fair statement I'm looking forward to them getting better as they scrub in. Right not they're nothing to brag about ... R-compound tire or not.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:07 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by OldGuy
RJA I did something similar. I went from PSCups to PS2s. There is a breakin AND there is a downgrade. The upside is I got 5K miles on the Cups and the wear rating on the PS2s is twice as much. I also took 10lbs off each corner by going go Fikses WHeels so my performance went up and down. I changed too may variables.
The thing you have to decide is do you want a High performance tire that last longer than that hi performance tire that just feels great all the time but lasts half as long.
I went from PS2s to PScups on my 997. The cups have a way better feel. PS2 tires are great. but i love the cups. ( thanks Paul )

Old 07-27-2008, 09:49 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
I can tell the MPSCups are better than the PS2's but its a compromise. Less performance for lasting more than twice as long. I remember the first time I took out my GT3 in a canyon and how more grippy they felt than the PS2. But I also remember the first time I got the bill after replacing the rear Cups at $1100 for Two tires. But now that I have moved to 18" rims I might go back to Cups or the R888

Old 07-27-2008, 10:46 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone know the recommended tire pressure for Nitto NT-01's for standard Gt2 tires (235, 315, 18's)? I am running 35 front, 40 rear tire pressure (cold). The steering in the front feels a little light. Could that be too much air pressure, alignment?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:25 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
i seriously doubt one can feel that much difference b/n ps2, mpsc and corsa on street. if you do, you have way exceeded the speed limit.

on track, corse and mpsc are both better than ps2.

r888 is great, i have gone through 6 sets or was it 8 sets? but i would take RA1 over those anyday. for 997 you want RA1 in 245 and 305, R888 in 255/315 with 12" rears.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:57 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by luiscarlos
Corsa TW-60
PS2 TW-220
Corsa are 100% better than PS2,they wear faster but the grip of this Pirellis is really amazing.

Like Mr.**** said you downgraded the tires.
Tread Wear is only relavant when comparing tires from the same manufacturer, there is no standard that determines a standard wearing tire from brand to brand.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:27 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Does anyone know the recommended tire pressure for Nitto NT-01's for standard Gt2 tires (235, 315, 18's)? I am running 35 front, 40 rear tire pressure (cold). The steering in the front feels a little light. Could that be too much air pressure, alignment?
That's too high for a r-compound tire. I drop it by 3-5psi cold.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:33 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Tread Wear is only relavant when comparing tires from the same manufacturer, there is no standard that determines a standard wearing tire from brand to brand.
Threat ware determination is made by the department of transportation so it has nothing to do with brands.
And from th 60 to th 220 there is a big big difference.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:43 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by luiscarlos
Threat ware determination is made by the department of transportation so it has nothing to do with brands.
And from th 60 to th 220 there is a big big difference.
NorthVan is correct.

Brand X treadwear rating of 200 can be completely different than brand Y's tire rated at 200.

Within the *same brand* comparing a 60 to a 220 would be relevant.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not liking my new tires. Advice please.