Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Not liking my new tires. Advice please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:43 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Threatware is certificated by DOT (Departament of Transportation)

Here more info about this.

Uniform Tire Quality Grading System (UTQGS)

To help consumers compare a passenger car tire's treadwear rate, traction performance, and temperature resistance, the federal government requires tire manufacturers to grade tires in these three areas. This grading system, known as the Uniform Tire Quality Grading System, provides guidelines for making relative comparisons when purchasing new tires. You also can use this information to inquire about the quality of tires placed on new vehicles.

Although this rating system is very helpful when buying new tires, it is not a safety rating or guarantee of how well a tire will perform or how long it will last. Other factors such as personal driving style, type of car, quality of the roads, and tire maintenance habits have a significant influence on your tire's performance and longevity.

Treadwear grades are an indication of a tire's relative wear rate. The higher the treadwear number is, the longer it should take for the tread to wear down. For example, a tire grade of 400 should wear twice as long as a tire grade of 200.

Traction grades are an indication of a tire's ability to stop on wet pavement. A higher graded tire should allow you to stop your car on wet roads in a shorter distance than a tire with a lower grade. Traction is graded from highest to lowest as "AA", "A", "B", and "C".

Temperature grades are an indication of a tire's resistance to heat. Sustained high temperature (for example, driving long distances in hot weather), can cause a tire to deteriorate, leading to blowouts and tread separation. From highest to lowest, a tire's resistance to heat is graded as "A", "B", or "C".

Old 07-27-2008, 06:56 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
This is from the Tire Rack:

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
treadware it totally meaning less.
it's like saying V8 are always faster than 6 cylinders.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rja
I'm tempted to get the 888s like everybody is suggesting here but then I'll probably have to listen to everybody tell me how much they $uck as soon as I have them mounted. Tires aren't cheap and I know and like the Corsas.
For the street and even the track the PS2 is a competent tire. I have had both, the corsa is better for the track but the PS2 is a good tire give it time. The R888 is also a good track tire, but not such a good street tire. the guys who I know drive them on the street say they make a ton of noise. No problem with Noise at the track but caution on the street. If Noise is an issue.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 PM
AdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Does anyone know the recommended tire pressure for Nitto NT-01's for standard Gt2 tires (235, 315, 18's)? I am running 35 front, 40 rear tire pressure (cold). The steering in the front feels a little light. Could that be too much air pressure, alignment?
I've been running my nittos on the street at 38 all around so far 7000+miles they look great just remember they like to be at 38hot when on the track! so I keep them at 38 on the street since you really can't heat them up on the street as you do on a track. hope this helps

Old 07-27-2008, 10:33 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lig
This is from the Tire Rack:

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.
Thanks for digging up the support info, I thought that Damon at the TireRack was going have to chime into this thread.

Ed

Old 07-28-2008, 03:50 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Great thread on tread. I like the RA1s and R888s. Currently have MSPCs on my car, and even on the street I run 31 psi on the fronts and 33 on the rear. Are these numbers too low? Will the tires wear faster?

Thanks in advance - Gerry

07 GT3 RS Clubsport

Old 07-28-2008, 11:18 PM
RasrGirl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by OldGuy
I can tell the MPSCups are better than the PS2's but its a compromise. Less performance for lasting more than twice as long. I remember the first time I took out my GT3 in a canyon and how more grippy they felt than the PS2. But I also remember the first time I got the bill after replacing the rear Cups at $1100 for Two tires. But now that I have moved to 18" rims I might go back to Cups or the R888
Hey "OLD GUY" how do you like your car with the 18inch?
I had a set delivered to me this past week. They have Hoosiers on them so i can't try them on the street. I can't wait to try them out. Everyone i've talked to say the car handles much better with 18inch. I'd love your opinion on this.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
that makes sense...there just isnt as much grip with ps2s upon turn in through track out as with the corsas or pscups or slicks etc. HOWEVER, the ps2 is WORLDS ahead in the rain...so if your just using them to street, then the ps2 is fine, if not just keep to the r comps.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 PM
TripleM is infamous around these parts
I felt quite a huge difference in the Corsa when I switched to PS2 for daily drive but then again I expected that coz I hv had PS2 in my previous cars before.

PS2 will get better , miles better once they are fully run in. Until today, I still think it's the best street tires in the mkt. It's expensive but worth every cent

Cheers

Old 07-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Looney2N is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AdrianM5
I've been running my nittos on the street at 38 all around so far 7000+miles they look great just remember they like to be at 38hot when on the track! so I keep them at 38 on the street since you really can't heat them up on the street as you do on a track. hope this helps
What is the manufacturer recommended pressures on your 996?

I am getting my Nitto's this week for my 997 with recommendations of 37 front and 44 rear. I think my weight is around 3400lbs.

I really want to do it right with these new tires.

What do you recommend for:

1.Daily Driver Pressures

2.Cold Track Pressures

3.Hot Track Pressures

I have TPMS on current rims and tires but will be going with 18" no TPMS with fronts 245/40 and rears 305/35.

Thanks much.......................