Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

How many 996/997 GT3's are regularly tracked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
85 % trk
15 % st

Old 08-10-2008, 04:27 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
i find this very funny.
many of you state a higher % of track use then street use.
that means you trailer your street GT3? if not, you should have higher street mileage than track mileage, no?

if you got a trailer, you might want to drive a cup car as street GT3 is really sub-par on track.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:51 PM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
5000 miles, both street and track. Awesome!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:55 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I never track my GT3...its too pretty to put on the dirty race track...

and slicks suck, they are no fun, whats up with those cornering forces, they like totally make me sick...

lol, I think its a crime to own a gt3 and not track the car. I have never driven anything thats as close to stock on a track that is more fun and engaging to drive. The car also separates the "drivers" from the DRIVERS...and I like the car for that as well...

My car just has seats/rollbar, alignment, pagid yellows(real ones), some fikses with pirelli slick...and some nice SRF fluid.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Zmann is infamous around these parts
I mostly track my car. It has a fair amount of road mileage, as I was trying to get the 2K they suggest before pushing it.

Track improvements include seats (Cobra), roll bar (GMG), harnesses, 18" CCW wheels, R888 tires and a track alignment.

Headed to RA this coming weekend. Hope to see some of you there.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
hey eric, are did you run with NASA this past weekend. if so, how did it go?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:50 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
buying a GT3 and not tracking it is a crime... imho
Why's that? The GT3 is a streetcar and personally I think it's a waste of time to go to the track in anything other than a racecar. Only an idot would drive at his or her limit w/o a full cage and if you're not pushing the limit all your doing is wasting time and money driving around in circles. I'll plan on taking my car to the track once to explore it's limits safely but that's about it. For me, 11k miles so far, 0 track days, and loving the car more than any other car I've ever owned. Enough said.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rja
I'll plan on taking my car to the track once to explore it's limits safely but that's about it.
Not to down play your current driving skills, but you will need more than 1 track day to find your cars limits. I suggest you get a hold of Don Kitch at Performance Racing. They are at PRI, and really know Porsche GT3's. He is as good as it gets in this area for driving instruction.

His email is DonKitchJr@cs.com and his website is http://www.proformanceracingschool.com/

Good Luck, and if you do track your car, do it safely, Seattle has been known to claim a few cars!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rja
Why's that? The GT3 is a streetcar and personally I think it's a waste of time to go to the track in anything other than a racecar. Only an idot would drive at his or her limit w/o a full cage and if you're not pushing the limit all your doing is wasting time and money driving around in circles. I'll plan on taking my car to the track once to explore it's limits safely but that's about it. For me, 11k miles so far, 0 track days, and loving the car more than any other car I've ever owned. Enough said.
okay... well not a crime per se...
point taken
I just think that in our ever growing world of traffic/congestion (see seattledriverssuck.com) and law enforcement etc, the track is a nice place to explore the GT3 and let it run... in a controlled environment.
Rather than a "crime" I should have said that having taken my GT3 to the track I can no longer imagine using it solely as a street car.

I also do not have a 997-3... so maybe if I could set my suspension to full soft at the push of a button, and open up the sunroof... JUST KIDDING JUST KIDDING!

Roland -- looking forward to meeting you someday as we are both in the NW!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:30 AM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Not to down play your current driving skills, but you will need more than 1 track day to find your cars limits. I suggest you get a hold of Don Kitch at Performance Racing. They are at PRI, and really know Porsche GT3's. He is as good as it gets in this area for driving instruction.

His email is DonKitchJr@cs.com and his website is http://www.proformanceracingschool.com/

Good Luck, and if you do track your car, do it safely, Seattle has been known to claim a few cars!
I'm no stranger to Don's days. I started w/ him back in 2000. I was a complete hotlap junkie for the first couple years (even the Don and crew would joke about how much time I was spending on track) and then I started racing in '01 (took Don's racing school, then to Conference). After that, started doing fewer and fewer track days and now I find them pretty boring and I'm always getting in trouble w/ Don when I do go. For seat time, I'd rather do a test and tune.

I think you missed my point. My point was if I'm going to go to the track, I'll take my racecar. It's a real racecar (unlike my GT3) and is much safer (has a full cage), and I'll push the limits every chance I get. I just don't see much of a point taking a street car to the track. You're right that I won't truly learn the ins and outs of my GT3 in just one day but if and when I take it to the track, it will be to get a sense of where it's capabilities are and not to fully know and understand it's limits. After that, any track time will be in my (or somebody else's) racecar so I can sharpen my skills for the next race. Although, I've taken a year off from racing to do other things w/ my life and now that's turning into two. When you take the needle out of the arm, you start to realize there really is life outside of racing

Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rja
there really is life outside of racing
you sound just like the priest that told me there really is life outside of sex

Old 08-11-2008, 01:03 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rja
I'm no stranger to Don's days. I started w/ him back in 2000. I was a complete hotlap junkie for the first couple years (even the Don and crew would joke about how much time I was spending on track) and then I started racing in '01 (took Don's racing school, then to Conference). After that, started doing fewer and fewer track days and now I find them pretty boring and I'm always getting in trouble w/ Don when I do go. For seat time, I'd rather do a test and tune.

I think you missed my point. My point was if I'm going to go to the track, I'll take my racecar. It's a real racecar (unlike my GT3) and is much safer (has a full cage), and I'll push the limits every chance I get. I just don't see much of a point taking a street car to the track. You're right that I won't truly learn the ins and outs of my GT3 in just one day but if and when I take it to the track, it will be to get a sense of where it's capabilities are and not to fully know and understand it's limits. After that, any track time will be in my (or somebody else's) racecar so I can sharpen my skills for the next race. Although, I've taken a year off from racing to do other things w/ my life and now that's turning into two. When you take the needle out of the arm, you start to realize there really is life outside of racing

i'm not sure if i see your point. as you know there's DE and then there's race. at my driving level, i'd be kidding myself if i show up with a full out racecar for DE. it's just normal progression to start out with a street car. but i did put in a half cage before taking the gt3 to the track for obvious safety reasons. full cage just didn't make sense for me for a street car that occassionally sees track.

i would be bored easily too if the tracks we had were all literally just circles like nascar. but that's probably not what you meant when you say 'driving around in circles'. perhaps you were just burned out from too much track time in your tracking days.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:38 PM
rja
driving around in circles
Yes, that was a figure of speech I've never been on an oval track, just road courses. I went through the normal progression like a lot of folks (slowly converting my street car into a racecar and then ending up w/ something that doesn't fit into a class, is too expensive to race, etc.) ... you never really get burned out on lapping days. You just get bored with them once you start racing. I think most racers feel that way. I'm not unique.

Going back to the subject at hand, I was simply disagreeing with the statement that it's a crime to not track a GT3. I think it's an amazing road car and worth having whether you take it to the track or not. I don't plan on tracking mine because I won't drive my limit in it (because it's too expensive to crash, and because it doesn't have cage) and it's therefore a waste of time to go to the track in it. That all I was trying to say.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Zmann is infamous around these parts
Hey Jenk,

No NASA. RA this weekend. I was headed to Roebling in Sept, but my daughter has a horse show - as if I don't spend enough on tracking! I need to find something else in Sept / Oct other than RA. I'd love to get back to Barber. That is a great track.

I will have the new wheels, tires and alignment this weekend. Looking forward to seeing the difference. Z

Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
i will chime in... i have had every car i have owned on the track except the 965 tt... I currently track my 996 GT2 i know its not a gt3 but is close...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many 996/997 GT3's are regularly tracked