Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

How many 996/997 GT3's are regularly tracked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 930man
i will chime in... i have had every car i have owned on the track except the 965 tt... I currently track my 996 GT2 i know its not a gt3 but is close...
ya, Matt, your too humble...he dominated VIR with every car other than that 965tt...the definition of true driving enthusiasm IMHO...

-Drew

BTW, Im racing Koni Challenge at VIR in Oct (the 5th)...you around??

Old 08-11-2008, 09:21 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sechsgang
ya, Matt, your too humble...he dominated VIR with every car other than that 965tt...the definition of true driving enthusiasm IMHO...

-Drew

hell yeah ill be around!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:22 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
BTW your car looks awesome!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
thanks, figured it was time to get a real car and then actually cut the bs and do a REAL race...haha

Old 08-22-2008, 08:21 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of

-Drew

I'll be there. Thinking of doing GT Live event that weekend. You are racing your GT3 at Koni Challenge?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by datax
I'll be there. Thinking of doing GT Live event that weekend. You are racing your GT3 at Koni Challenge?
no, a 997 koni car with Marcus Motorsport

Old 08-23-2008, 04:44 PM
AZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to beholdAZ997TT is a splendid one to behold
Rear cage, Cobre seats, 6 point harness, corner balanced, fiske with R888's.
track 50% street 50%
use the RS for DE and TT's. Got a cup car for races.
There is a group of about 5 GT3 RS's in Phoenix that are on the track quite a bit.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:32 PM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
Had to break it in first. Half cage, 6 pt harness, seats, etc. Daily driver and just starting track days, 12 HPDE run sessions so far. Still a bit tentative because of cost of car.

-Gerry

07 GT3RS Clubsport

Old 08-23-2008, 07:24 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rja
I'm no stranger to Don's days. I started w/ him back in 2000. I was a complete hotlap junkie for the first couple years (even the Don and crew would joke about how much time I was spending on track) and then I started racing in '01 (took Don's racing school, then to Conference). After that, started doing fewer and fewer track days and now I find them pretty boring and I'm always getting in trouble w/ Don when I do go. For seat time, I'd rather do a test and tune.

I think you missed my point. My point was if I'm going to go to the track, I'll take my racecar. It's a real racecar (unlike my GT3) and is much safer (has a full cage), and I'll push the limits every chance I get. I just don't see much of a point taking a street car to the track. You're right that I won't truly learn the ins and outs of my GT3 in just one day but if and when I take it to the track, it will be to get a sense of where it's capabilities are and not to fully know and understand it's limits. After that, any track time will be in my (or somebody else's) racecar so I can sharpen my skills for the next race. Although, I've taken a year off from racing to do other things w/ my life and now that's turning into two. When you take the needle out of the arm, you start to realize there really is life outside of racing
I'm sorry that we all can't afford race cars, You are lucky I am just going to have to risk my neck to have fun in my 3.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:33 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rja
I'm no stranger to Don's days. I started w/ him back in 2000. I was a complete hotlap junkie for the first couple years (even the Don and crew would joke about how much time I was spending on track) and then I started racing in '01 (took Don's racing school, then to Conference). After that, started doing fewer and fewer track days and now I find them pretty boring and I'm always getting in trouble w/ Don when I do go. For seat time, I'd rather do a test and tune.

I think you missed my point. My point was if I'm going to go to the track, I'll take my racecar. It's a real racecar (unlike my GT3) and is much safer (has a full cage), and I'll push the limits every chance I get. I just don't see much of a point taking a street car to the track. You're right that I won't truly learn the ins and outs of my GT3 in just one day but if and when I take it to the track, it will be to get a sense of where it's capabilities are and not to fully know and understand it's limits. After that, any track time will be in my (or somebody else's) racecar so I can sharpen my skills for the next race. Although, I've taken a year off from racing to do other things w/ my life and now that's turning into two. When you take the needle out of the arm, you start to realize there really is life outside of racing
What kind of race car do you have? Where do you race it? Just wondering.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:25 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
thanks, figured it was time to get a real car and then actually cut the bs and do a REAL race...haha
Winning a low turnout PCA race in a 996 Twin Turbo is the best way to prepare for a Grand Am race.....

Old 08-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by DHinkle
Winning a low turnout PCA race in a 996 Twin Turbo is the best way to prepare for a Grand Am race.....

Im more of a hit the ground running kinda guy...plus, there isnt a 13/13 in these races!

And as for b/j stock , I figure my times compared to records (and ehem, a personal track record at LRP thank you...) are decent enough for this youngin'!

So when are we splitting that cup car and racing in "real" classes?

-Drew

Old 08-24-2008, 04:31 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
What kind of race car do you have? Where do you race it? Just wondering.
Well, like I mentioned, I'm taking some time off from racing. What started as 6 months had turned into 18 and now that I've seen how much I can get done w/ my life sans racing, I'm in no hurry to get back ... at least not as a car owner. One of the reasons for getting the GT3 is because I'm throttling way back on the racing but I still love cars and wanted something fun for the street instead of a tow rig. The GT3 is a great street car, but it's not a racecar and I have little interest in taking it to the track for that reason.

I raced (and still own) a BMW e30 prepared E-Production car in Conference up here in the Pacific NW -- so usual tracks are Pacific Raceways, Portland International, Mission, and Spokane (before it shut down). I still have the car and it was a ground-up build and is far nicer than most of the club cars you'll see. It has a Motec M600 setup for full sequential and has the sport ADL. Here are some pix:

e30 racecar

I'm probably going to sell the car since any future racing will involve a rented seat. I'm done grinding, welding, wrenching, and crewing for myself. No regrets -- I learned a lot -- but I can better spend my time in other places.

As for DHinkle's comment, having a racecar doesn't mean having to spend a fortune. If you can afford to buy a GT3, you can affort to race cars. Perhaps not in a late model Porsche, etc., like some of the guys on this board have, but you can have just as much fun (perhaps more) and learn as much in a much lesser car. The fun and skill is driving the limit, not how fast the car will turn laps.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:39 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Nice Car Roland.

Must be a blast to drive.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:53 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rja
As for DHinkle's comment, having a racecar doesn't mean having to spend a fortune. If you can afford to buy a GT3, you can affort to race cars. Perhaps not in a late model Porsche, etc., like some of the guys on this board have, but you can have just as much fun (perhaps more) and learn as much in a much lesser car. The fun and skill is driving the limit, not how fast the car will turn laps.
His comment was based on Drew going from 2 small club races to a pro series..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many 996/997 GT3's are regularly tracked