Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Stone Guards on RS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 AM
vroomd is infamous around these parts
Stone Guards on RS?

I'm the proud new owner of a 2008 GT3 RS.

My car arrived at the dealership with stone guards just in front of the rear fenders. The issue is their color which is darker and more yellow than the Carrara white paint.

Do all RS's come with stone guards? I've never noticed them on the photos of other RS's on this forum. Maybe they are present, but just match the paint color better than mine?

Your input would be appreciated.

Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
The Stone Guards are Clear Plastic, and will alter the colour of the paint as well they do yellow. White and Silver look the worse, and darker colours are less obvious. I have heard that the 3M Clear Bra material is better, but will still yellow over time.

I know people have removed them, but if you track your car I would leave them on, my guards are scraped up from the occasional cone that has been left in my path on the track!

Enjoy the RS.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Zellamsee is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the RS.

The RS does not come with any stone guards from the factory. However, it is good to have some protection there -- the paint chips quite easily -- so, I would leave them on.

Last edited by Zellamsee; 08-07-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
Check with your local clear bra installer...they can do better.
The factory piece is both too yellow and too small...you will pick up a lot of chips just above and below the factory piece

I had my installer (David Dearing at Speedfilm.net) make a custom piece for my 07 Gt3 that begins at front fender, spans the entire rocker (wrapping inside the door and under the rocker for no visible line) and then up the quarter replacing the factory piece. It wraps inside the door and rear fender so there is only one seam at the top..covers entire lower front quarter panel from door to rear tire.

Bill

Old 08-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
The Stone Guards are Clear Plastic, and will alter the colour of the paint as well they do yellow. White and Silver look the worse, and darker colours are less obvious. I have heard that the 3M Clear Bra material is better, but will still yellow over time.

I know people have removed them, but if you track your car I would leave them on, my guards are scraped up from the occasional cone that has been left in my path on the track!

Enjoy the RS.
LOL, Ed you don't hit cones do you...?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edgemontvillage
LOL, Ed you don't hit cones do you...?
Lloyd,

I only hit them when someone else knocks them into my path, or when my instructor tells me to hit them! LOL

I guess my chances of driving your new RS just went from slim to none!

Ed

Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 PM
WildBill is infamous around these parts
My 08 RS did not come from the factory with stone protection. I had the majority of the car wrapped right after I bought it.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 PM
SirBells is infamous around these parts
my whitey GT3 has them (from the factory) and they do protect that area pretty well... color match...not so well!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zellamsee
Congrats on the RS.

The RS does not come with any stone guards from the factory. However, it is good to have some protection there -- the paint chips quite easily -- so, I would leave them on.
if your RS has the sill decal, then you will not get stone guard on rear fender
if your RS has no sill decal, then you will get stone guard on fender.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:09 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mooty
if your RS has the sill decal, then you will not get stone guard on rear fender
if your RS has no sill decal, then you will get stone guard on fender.
^^^ what he said.

the factory clear film is yellowish. i don't like it.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Your responses have been very helpful.
My thanks to all.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 AM
JackGt3 has a spectacular aura aboutJackGt3 has a spectacular aura about
congrats now more pics!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Zellamsee is infamous around these parts
Mooty -- thanks for the correction -- learn something new every day . . .

Old 08-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Here is a photo I took just after the application of the RS decals. I elected to apply them over the stone guards. I can always remove the stone guards in the future and put on new decals where needed.

Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vroomd
Here is a photo I took just after the application of the RS decals. I elected to apply them over the stone guards. I can always remove the stone guards in the future and put on new decals where needed.
Never mind the stone guards, terrific photo!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stone Guards on RS?