Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

7gt3 belt shredded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
7gt3 belt shredded

was at the track today when all of sudden i lost power steering and the water temp went thru the roof! had about half a mile to exit the track so i just took it really easy most of it just coasting and turned off the car as soon as i could (hope nothing bad happened to the engine for that 1/2 mi). checked the engine bay. don't see any belt attached to the pulleys. this is what's left of it. shredded. any ideas what happened? loose pulley? i've heard of loose pulley from people who did the lwfw mod but mines is stock.

Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 PM
aretm is infamous around these parts
looks more like your belt has skipped a line or two and gotten stuck behind one of the main pulleys. wouldn't take too long to then shred up at those high revs. could be anything really. A loose pulley a weak belt that has stretched or the belt may have cracked within its teeth hence making it skip out from alignment. as long as its all sorted and no engine dramas you should be sweet...

Last edited by aretm; 08-07-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
are you the one with "GT3" decal on the sill of the car? i was in the orange RS at infineon today.

chk your crank pulley bolt. they often back out and cause a lot of prob.

do you have RS lwfw? that may cause crank pulley bolt issue which may derail the belt.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mooty
are you the one with "GT3" decal on the sill of the car? i was in the orange RS at infineon today.

chk your crank pulley bolt. they often back out and cause a lot of prob.

do you have RS lwfw? that may cause crank pulley bolt issue which may derail the belt.
yup that was me. didn't know you were there. would've said hi and introduced myself. no RS lwfw. still the stock dual mass fw.

i had the car flatbeded to Sonnen. those guys rock, track-friendly!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedoflight
yup that was me. didn't know you were there. would've said hi and introduced myself. no RS lwfw. still the stock dual mass fw.

i had the car flatbeded to Sonnen. those guys rock, track-friendly!
good luck, hopefully it will be repaired quickly.

come out the thunderhill next friday with track masters and then PCA on that same weekend. there will be 10+ GT3's there.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
good luck, hopefully it will be repaired quickly.

come out the thunderhill next friday with track masters and then PCA on that same weekend. there will be 10+ GT3's there.
thanks. next week is too soon for me. i can only goof off from work once a month. next month on the 12th more likely.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
thanks. next week is too soon for me. i can only goof off from work once a month. next month on the 12th more likely.
only once a month?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
That happenned to me back in Oct '07. Same things you described but I was on the highway. Power steering went, A/C blew hot and temp went to the moon.
I did just have the RS LWFW installed about 2 weeks earlier. ?connection?

Diagnosis: Crank pulley bolt backed out and came off. The pulley became mangled. Issue fixed but only thing that was a pisser was how long it took Porsche to materialize the darn pulley (4 weeks).
All fixed and no problems since.

Good luck
Ranger

Old 08-08-2008, 05:57 PM
ze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really niceze_shark is just really nice
Good thing is that the power steering is going off at the same time as the water pump, otherwise I am wondering if one would notice the water temp going ballistic before head gaskets get barbecued.
Still worrying that this happens on a non-modded car. Still can't make sense why the pulley would go out on a car that has a LWFW, but it's even more mysterious on one that doesn't.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:55 PM
nope it's not the pulleys.

dealer update: all pulleys are still tight to spec. nothing out of the ordinary. don't see any visual cracks either. i guess this is good news since it's just the belt. no idea how this could have happened.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:57 PM
GT3_DUBAI is infamous around these parts
It happened with me i have the stoch FW i dont know what's the reason .. anyways hope u get it all fixed .. it took porsche 2 weeks

Old 08-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by GT3_DUBAI
It happened with me i have the stoch FW i dont know what's the reason .. anyways hope u get it all fixed .. it took porsche 2 weeks
wow thanks! i guess i'm not the only one.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 PM
9/12, THill with NCRC? i will be there too.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:55 PM
9/12, THill with NCRC? i will be there too.
nope not ncrc but trackmasters.

looks like ncrc is on 9/26. i haven't run with ncrc. looks like a killer deal even more so for 1st time members!

from ncrc website:
September 26 at Thunderhill - $149 Customer Appreciation Day!
We provide a $100 Discount to first-time NCRC Members! Take the discount yourself during event registration.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:01 PM
IslandBoy is infamous around these parts
nope it's not the pulleys.

dealer update: all pulleys are still tight to spec. nothing out of the ordinary. don't see any visual cracks either. i guess this is good news since it's just the belt. no idea how this could have happened.
Thats great news, however still a bit of a concern for it happening again in the future!?!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 7gt3 belt shredded