Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Winter Storage

OK, so I used the "w" word...until my recent acquisition of an '07 RS, my '06 C4S served as my daily driver so "off season" storage wasn't an issue. In Vancouver we get plenty of rain during the winter however only a handful of days each year when conditions (ice/snow) make driving a chore and the P-car just stayed in the garage. I have purchased a daily driver (525xi) so the RS will be limited to weekend/DE/nice off-season weather duty and I have turned my thoughts to how best to store it for say up to a month at a time. If the weather on a winter weekend is good I plan to take the car out to stretch its legs... Thinking about short term storage I purchased a Porsche battery trickle charger (955-044-900-54) to keep the battery fresh and Porsche fitted indoor car cover (997-044-000-09) to keep the dust off however I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to keep the tires from flat-spotting (I've got Michelin Sport Cups). If the car sits for more than a few days (my storage is heated) that could pose a problem for flat-spotting tires. I also have a spare set of PS2's which would fair only slightly better in storage. The obvious solution is to simply jack up the car and store it on jack stands. While this is OK for longer term storage, I'd rather not be jacking the car on and off stands before and after every time I want to drive the car in the off season - is there a better way? I would appreciate ideas on a more elegant solution and any other short term storage considerations I've missed?

Last edited by Edgemontvillage; 08-20-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Thank you, this is an interesting solution that might be the charm. Do you (anyone?) have any experience with this product?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM
MariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the roughMariusL is a jewel in the rough
Just put around 3,5-4 bars into the tires, and you will be fine. (remember to lower the pressure before driving on the street again)

Old 08-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Don't waste your money. I've stored Porsche's for up to 6 months at a time with no problems. Just do the following.
Inflate all tires to 10lbs. over normal pressures (don't forget to drop them back down in the spring), top off the battery with distilled water or if more than 3 years old replace it, plug in a smart battery charger, Porsche's Ctek is ok, throw some moisture absorbing gel packs on the interior floor, plug the exhaust tips (keeps critters out) but don't make airtight , lock it up and cover it.
Some say put fresh oil in but I change the oil and brake fluid every spring.
I also treat all the leather once a year, usually in the spring.
I've had no tire flat spotting or any other issues by doing the above.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Bruce
Don't waste your money. I've stored Porsche's for up to 6 months at a time with no problems. Just do the following.
Inflate all tires to 10lbs. over normal pressures (don't forget to drop them back down in the spring), top off the battery with distilled water or if more than 3 years old replace it, plug in a smart battery charger, Porsche's Ctek is ok, throw some moisture absorbing gel packs on the interior floor, plug the exhaust tips (keeps critters out) but don't make airtight , lock it up and cover it.
Some say put fresh oil in but I change the oil and brake fluid every spring.
I also treat all the leather once a year, usually in the spring.
I've had no tire flat spotting or any other issues by doing the above.
Bruce, thanks for the tips, while some of your practices are more applicable to longer term storage most apply to my situation.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:13 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Lloyd,

I will come over and drive it for you on those days that you aren't comfortable with the weather! JK

I found that my car was fine for as long as two and half weeks in my heated garage. The Porsche Trickle charger is easy to use and works well. I plug mine in once in a while in the summer just to make sure things are working well.

How do you like the 525xi? I am looking for a replacement for my wife's car (trade in the Allroad, and I get a nice Touareg V8 to tow my 997 to far away track's in the summer).

Ed

Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Lloyd,

I will come over and drive it for you on those days that you aren't comfortable with the weather! JK

I found that my car was fine for as long as two and half weeks in my heated garage. The Porsche Trickle charger is easy to use and works well. I plug mine in once in a while in the summer just to make sure things are working well.

How do you like the 525xi? I am looking for a replacement for my wife's car (trade in the Allroad, and I get a nice Touareg V8 to tow my 997 to far away track's in the summer).

Ed
Ed, you are a pal, thank you for your selfless offer to take the RS for a walk on bad weather days. The 525xi (or 530xi) is a superb car, reliable, comfortable, has a generous trunk (!), nicely appointed and a good price point. Prior to Porsche I drove BMWs for 10 years and have always had a good experience. I previously owned an X5 4.6 which would be an excellent family/utility/C2 tow vehicle. If you are interested in kicking the tires you are welcome to drive my 525xi anytime. If you want an introduction at Park Shore BMW I would be pleased to hook you up. You can also talk to the P-S boys at their DE in September.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:45 PM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Edgemontvillage
Thank you, this is an interesting solution that might be the charm. Do you (anyone?) have any experience with this product?
I have used them for 2 winters on my '96 993TT and 1 winter on my '97 993TTS. Previously I did as Bruce suggests in terms of adding air to the tires. Using that approach the flat spotting was minimized but the tires still retained some memory in the area contacting my garage floor. But any flat spots went away after driving the cars and getting some heat into the tires. When I added the Flatstoppers to the equation I could detect no flat spots at all during subsequent driving.

But I am storing those cars typically from December through March (sometimes into April). For short term storage I think Bruce is correct, don't waste your money; add air to the tires, check pressures 1X/week and don't forget to have the proper inflation before you take the car on the street.

Last edited by mxk116; 08-20-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:51 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Lloyd,

I just want to help you out of course, winter walks aren't as enjoyable as the hot dry days, and I would want you to get the wrong feeling about your car!

I may ask to check out PS, I am waiting for some parts to come in for my Allroad, then may move it.

Any more info on the PS day yet, it has been 5 days since I was out and I am getting the itch again.

Ed

Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Bruce, thanks for the tips, while some of your practices are more applicable to longer term storage most apply to my situation.
I forgot the most important part but only if your storing it for more than a month at a time. If it's just for a few weeks just plug in the battery maintainer and you'll be fine.

Add "Stabil" fuel stabilizer and fill the tank. A full fuel tank won't allow condensation to form and the stabilizer will keep the gas from turning to varnish.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Lloyd,

I just want to help you out of course, winter walks aren't as enjoyable as the hot dry days, and I would want you to get the wrong feeling about your car!

I may ask to check out PS, I am waiting for some parts to come in for my Allroad, then may move it.

Any more info on the PS day yet, it has been 5 days since I was out and I am getting the itch again.

Ed
Ed, PS' DE is scheduled for September 16, no further updates. If you are still interested in getting on the backfill list (or better yet buy a car from them and move to the top of the list!) call Garrett in Service at 604-985-9344.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Ed, PS' DE is scheduled for September 16, no further updates. If you are still interested in getting on the backfill list (or better yet buy a car from them and move to the top of the list!) call Garrett in Service at 604-985-9344.
Thanks, I will call Garrett later this AM. I will tell him you referred me.

Ed

Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with increasing tire pressure. I store my 911 for 4 months every winter. Increase the tire pressure to about 3 psi less than the maximum allowable for the tire. Never had flat spot problem.

Wife using 530xi. Great daily driver. Only problem is lack of interior storage space.

Lloyd, I need to see your RS. Are you coming out to next BBC?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Agree with increasing tire pressure. I store my 911 for 4 months every winter. Increase the tire pressure to about 3 psi less than the maximum allowable for the tire. Never had flat spot problem.

Wife using 530xi. Great daily driver. Only problem is lack of interior storage space.

Lloyd, I need to see your RS. Are you coming out to next BBC?
Tim, thanks for the feedback. I do plan to attend the next BBC September 6 unless the weather is marginal. Just got my Form 2 from RIV a few minutes ago so I'll be off the Canadian Tire for the Federal / Provincial Inspections (...CT...I can't stand it...).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage