Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 GT3 to 997 GT3RS Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
whoo hooo..looking great buddy! I wanted t ostop by today but ran out of time.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Joeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Brucem
whoo hooo..looking great buddy! I wanted t ostop by today but ran out of time.
Thanks Bruce, you should have stopped by maybe next week. Some more pics of the paint work.

Attached Images     
Old 10-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Joeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to behold
A couple more pictures, oh and by the way all of the pictures I have take are with my 10 year old Sony Mavica with a floppy disk. When the car is all done I will get some higher quality pics up. We will start to reassemble some of the back end on Sunday.

Attached Images    
Old 10-17-2008, 05:18 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Looking good Joe, do you have any shots of the front of the car?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Looking good Joe, do you have any shots of the front of the car?
No front end pictures yet, but here are some more rear complete ones. I went with a different look to match the matte wheels. All of the previous pictures were taken immediately after spraying which didn't show the final matte cured finish.

Attached Images     
Old 10-17-2008, 06:55 PM
More pics of the carbon against the matte black.

Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Joe, impressive job so far! Tell you what, when she's all finished, I'll come down and do a photo shoot of the car for everyone here to see. How's that? I believe we met once before at Exotics on Main in Bellevue a while back.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Mattnunez is just really niceMattnunez is just really niceMattnunez is just really niceMattnunez is just really niceMattnunez is just really nice
Looks awesome so far

Old 10-17-2008, 08:29 PM
ThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the rough
wow looks great...........almost there

Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Great work!! Love it.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:38 PM
///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough///M_Chap is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Joeacc
A couple more pictures, oh and by the way all of the pictures I have take are with my 10 year old Sony Mavica with a floppy disk. When the car is all done I will get some higher quality pics up. We will start to reassemble some of the back end on Sunday.
HAHA!!! We use the Mavica down at our body shop also....damn insurance companies still require that we use them (can't wait for that change!!) The majority of pictures I take of my car are with the Mavica because I'm so used to using it...

On another note...wow, didn't realize you were going with the matte black?! I thought you were going with silver but this is even better. The car is coming along great, can't wait to see the end result. What kind of Matte Clear are you using at your shop?

Last edited by ///M_Chap; 10-17-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by ///M_Chap
HAHA!!! We use the Mavica down at our body shop also....damn insurance companies still require that we use them (can't wait for that change!!) The majority of pictures I take of my car are with the Mavica because I'm so used to using it...

On another note...wow, didn't realize you were going with the matte black?! I thought you were going with silver but this is even better. The car is coming along great, can't wait to see the end result. What kind of Matte Clear are you using at your shop?

Yeah, once I got the wheels on the car I started having second thoughts about the color combo. My dad has a 996 turbo S in GT silver, so I borrowed his car and put my wheels on it. Beautiful car and perfect wheels, but not the right combination together. The car with that color was classy and the wheels just screamed a mean race car. So it was either matte black or reclear the wheel lips and go shiny cleared black with the car. Shiny cleared black would have been a less risky choice, but I already had a 997 black launch car, so I decided to risk it.

Next was the color and sheen choice. This I felt would make or break the car. I looked at as many matte black cars as I could find on the internet. We came to the conclusion that the ultra flat looks more like rat rod style or spray paint or primer; although most were vinyl wraps. And ofcourse there is the color of the black also, especially after flattening it. It seems as though the flatter, the grayer. So I chose somewhere in the middleof sheen, still more to the flatter side, but not ultra. And just pure straight black. As far as clear, I actually had it custom mixed in Sikkens Autoclear, which is single stage. That way we could mix the flattening agent into the color, so I should be able to paint the parts apart with less risk of my mixing ratio of the flattening agent to the mixed clear. Definately don't want different sheens on the different parts, door to quarter and fender etc. Plus with the single stage, I only needed to lay down to coats of black sealer and two coats of black color; only four coats total compared to probably seven coats in the base/clearcoat standard way. Which you know will help keep my dirt down in an application that I can not sand and polish what so ever.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by atomic80
Joe, impressive job so far! Tell you what, when she's all finished, I'll come down and do a photo shoot of the car for everyone here to see. How's that? I believe we met once before at Exotics on Main in Bellevue a while back.
Sounds great Jason, I can't wait. My pictures just don't do the car justice.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Kero is infamous around these parts
looks great so far!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:40 PM
chunpng is infamous around these parts
Joe,

Interesting project. When will you be done you think?

CP

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 to 997 GT3RS Conversion