Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 GT3 to 997 GT3RS Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Joeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to behold
996 GT3 to 997 GT3RS Conversion

I recently picked up a wrecked 996 GT3 in hopes to convert it to a 997 GT3RS. The car was wrecked on a track, hitting a couple of walls and another car. The car mostly received sheetmetal damage all around, but almost no suspension damage.
The front end was hit pretty bad, but were able to save it with only replacing a hood latch. We seperated all of the welds on the rails, removed them in their factory locations, straightened them, and then reinstalled everything. Once the structure of the tub was removed it was a lot of hammering and dollying to straighten the tub.
I am using Misha's conversion fenders and MA Shaw's replica GT3RS engine lid and wing. All of the other parts are factory 997 GT3RS parts. Quarters, bumpers, lights, mirrors, door handles, rockers, back glass, etc.
I know most of you are saying why not just buy the 997 RS to begin with but it was about an extra 150k, and I own a bodyshop, so this is just another example of our work when it is done. But yes it is a lot of work and head scratching figuring some of the 996 to 997 complete conversion out.

Attached Images      
Old 08-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Joeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to beholdJoeacc is a splendid one to behold
I hope you guys don't mind some pictures of the build. The car was pretty fast without any panels, just a drivers seat. I was thinking it probably weighed 2000lbs or less. It was amazing around our business park.

Attached Images      
Old 08-26-2008, 05:32 PM
more pics.

Attached Images      
Old 08-26-2008, 05:37 PM
More pics, just for reference if someone else may do this conversion.

Attached Images      
Old 08-26-2008, 05:45 PM
More pics, and found some nice CGT seats from ebay. You can see where the 997 rocker doesn't line up perfectly with the 996 jam area, same with the top of the quarter to the pillar. Close but not perfect, seems like the theme through the whole job.

Attached Images      
Old 08-26-2008, 05:52 PM
I had to find the metal area around the door handle from a damaged 997. I found one in Canada, and one in California. The rest of the handle parts are new.

Attached Images      
Old 08-26-2008, 05:52 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
interesting. good luck!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:23 PM
More pics. We had to shave the bottom of the doors to fit the 997 rockers also.

Attached Images     
Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Crazy project, btw, what color are you going to paint the car when its all put back together?

Also, I was looking at those seats on Ebay, I was wondering how is the quality? Do they fit right into the rails?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
looking good so far i still want those RS rear fenders..

Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 PM
ThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the roughThisFlyGuy is a jewel in the rough
great progress so far........

looking forward to more updated pics

Old 08-26-2008, 11:30 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Joe,

Very impressive, I hope I get the time to stop in and see you when I am in Seattle.

Keep the pictures coming.

Ed

Old 08-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
wow keep up the good work! cant wait to see it done!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 AM
GT3PTY is infamous around these parts
very very very nice, those rear panels are the wide ones and look nice, I suggest you use AWE Tunning headers and exhasut I will sound extremely nice...

Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Max Power is infamous around these parts
Thanks for posting the pics!

Very interesting to see the minor differences from 996 to 997.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 to 997 GT3RS Conversion